Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Caged and screwed (Read 14425 times)
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Caged and screwed
12/23/3 at 14:09:20

Greetings, Maple Leaf Rally friends,

I wanted to post to this forum to warn everyone about a situation that occurred with my husband's rally car that is having dire consequences for us. (See the MCO Rally forum at
http://www.mco.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2399 for the whole story and lots of responses.)

Briefly, we hit a deer on a snowy, slippery Sunday, December 14. The damage was to the left front of the car, with the hood being dented and the left lights smashed. We were in Jim's 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS at the time. He was driving slowly, as it was slippery and we were just enjoying the peacefulness of it all (on a back road) when WHAM! a deer jumped out about three feet in front of the car. Jim could not get stopped in time, but he did keep the car on the road (luckily there was no traffic at all). It was an awful moment for us knowing that we had seriously injured this beautiful animal.

The insurance adjuster took one look inside the car and saw the cage -- and that was it! They are going to investigate (evidently hitting a deer in Lanark County, with the highest deer-to-person ratio in the province, is highly suspicious). They have already told us that coverage on Jim's Impreza will be cancelled in January.

I want people to know about this, because of the implications for grassroots motorsports. If all insurance companies take this line, it means that NO ONE will be covered on transits, even if they trailer the car to the event. And if, like us, you drive the car to the event, you have voided any insurance coverage.

Jim and I cannot consider entering events for the foreseeable future. We are going to have to sell the rally car.

I understand that some insurance companies are also refusing to cover cars that have had lowering springs, etc. This is a matter for the aftermarket-parts industry, who stand to lose big time.

The whole story is on the MCO Rally forum, with responses from some of our Maple Leaf friends. Please take a moment to consider our plight. I fear it is a harbinger of things to come and, if so, will greatly affect a sport so many of us love.

Jean MacGillivray

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Re: Caged and screwed
Reply #1 - 01/01/4 at 12:36:14

Maple Leaf Rally friends, and others: this letter was posted on the MCO forum today by Jim Morrow, who is the owner of the caged rally car that hit a deer. I wrote the message above, and am posting this one to update those interested.

Jeannie

Good morning all and welcome to the New Year. I wanted to get on the forum and thank everyone for their support and suggestions as well as update you all on where we are.

We have so far received two documents by registered letter from the Insurance monster: A "Non-Waiver Agreement" and a "Reservation of Rights". The two documents are related and one applies if I refuse to sign the other. Both say basically that I may be in violation of my policy. They advise that they will be investigating the claim until the matter of coverage is clarified and that, notwithstanding, they reserve the right to deny coverage to me.

Another registered letter is waiting at the post office in Lanark for me to go sign for and pick it up. We assume that it is to advise me that my coverage will cease as of Jan 12. (One of the many individuals with whom I spoke at the insurance company had mentioned that this would be occurring as I am "not a risk they wish to cover".)

I will be going to the CARS AGM to try and talk about this during the discussion period. In addition, a letter to ASN, which we'd like to get all club presidents to sign, will be prepared. Lobby your president to do so when it comes out!

The letter will ask ASN to intervene on behalf of everyone at risk.

In my discussions with the Ins. people, I was surprised to find so much that was arbitrary as far as interpretation of situations and the application of policy issues. I would like to seek, through the letter, to, as a minimum, remove this arbitrariness and to get clear definition of what is allowed under what conditions. Additionally, we need a recognition by the industry, that many who choose to modify their vehicles are responsible individuals who may, in fact, have reduced risk to the Ins. co. by their actions and attitude.

Again, thanks for all your support. We'll keep you advised as to progress. You can help all of us by ensuring that each of your clubs and all of our associations get involved in cleaning up this risk area which affects all of us.

Drive safely and DON'T HIT A DEER.

Jim  Smiley

IP Logged
Max_Late
YaBB Newbies

Up the Glens!

Reply #2 - 01/02/4 at 09:52:38

I was disgusted to hear of your situation, and I hope you get it resolved quickly.

I'd like to find a business in which the government makes it mandatory for everybody to require my services, but one that I have no obligation to my customers...  except for maybe raising rates every six months.  

Best of luck...

VE3NUT
WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #3 - 01/02/4 at 11:54:58

Thanks for your reply, "Max Late". But the insurance company is even worse than that -- they think we're lying, that we were actually on a rally. We had spent the afternoon at the home of a nearby rally friend and his wife and were driving home on back roads, which we prefer to the main roads. That's when the deer jumped out . . . .  Shocked

I don't know what universe these people inhabit!!!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #4 - 01/02/4 at 15:05:48

I should explain that Jim and I live on a back road. We're in Lanark Highlands, 75 km west of downtown Ottawa. There are main roads that run north-south, and east-west, but the remaining roads are a network of back roads threading through the countryside. Unless you live on a highway, you live on a back road.

As I wrote a message earlier today, I counted four deer going through our property on their way to the bush. We live where there are lots of back roads and lots of deer -- and that can be a bad combination!

Jean

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #5 - 01/02/4 at 17:34:25

Jeannie, please continue to keep us all informed as to what is happening.  I think this is *obviously* a very very important issue for car enthusiasts to deal with quickly

John

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #6 - 01/03/4 at 11:43:35

Hi John, it was nice to meet you on New Year's Day. Glad to hear you got home safely, without meeting any deer on the way! Roll Eyes

Jim and Craig Hamm will be attending the CARS AGM next weekend, which will give them an opportunity to discuss the situation currently facing rally/solo competitors in Ontario. We'll be sure to keep people posted, as it were, on the forums.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #7 - 01/06/4 at 09:20:24

The only news from here is that the registered (and unsigned) letter from the insurance company states that the coverage on Jim's Subaru Impreza will cease as of January 12. They are still "investigating" us as they don't believe we were visiting a friend in Carleton Place and that the deer hit took place on the way home -- they think we were on a rally. The idea of driving on a back road has caused a great deal of suspicion on their part. In fact, we LIVE on a back road!

In the meantime, we have to pay for the damage ourselves. Then we have to put the car up for sale.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #8 - 01/08/4 at 19:12:49

There's another thread on the MCO forums that people might be interested in. This one's about finding a motorsport-knowledgeable insurance broker. See
http://www.mco.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2416

The discussion is similar to "Caged and screwed" as people try to figure out what the rules are and the best way to get coverage. Hey, why don't we make this into the nation's newest board game? Tongue

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #9 - 01/13/4 at 15:57:49

Jim Morrow posted this on the MCO Rally forum ("Caged and screwed") last night. It's in reply to a posting by Craig Hamm, MCO Rally Director. Please check that forum for the full exchange (see p. 4).

"The required exemptions I see are something like:
                   a. cars modified based on (rule set) and verified by (people
                   allowed to verify rule set)
                   b. ASN/FIA sanctioned motorsport events (e.g. I doubt CASCA
                   will run road rallies, so sanctioned by CARS affiliated bodies)
                   c. driver is member of a FIA sanctioned club, in good standing"

Craig, much of this formed part of what was discussed at the
                   CARS AGM on the insurance topic. I will incorporate all of the
                   good suggestions that everyone was kind enough to post on the
                   thread (or rope, judging by its length) The discussion of this
                   topic was animated and it was obvious, from some of the
                   comments, that this is a topic which has been generating fear
                   and loathing in the dark recesses of many motorsport minds.

I hope to have the letter set to go by this Thursday, at which
                   time I'll pass it by a few interested editors and then get it out
                   for signature and submission up to ASN.

Once again, I thank all for their concern, support and helpful
                   comments.

Jim

Thanks to everyone we talked to at the CARS AGM, for their interest in this topic and desire to remedy the roadblocks to enjoyable grassroots motorsports.

As for the caged rally car, right now it's sitting forlornly outside a specialty shop in Ottawa. It still has evidence of the deer hit, which the insurance company steadfastly refuses to cover. As of yesterday, all coverage on it ceased. We had someone who was interested in buying it, but he had an accident in his daily driver on the weekend, so that's out. Who knows what Chapter II will be!

Jeannie

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #10 - 01/25/4 at 09:43:47

Does anyone think it's time there was an insurance company that specialized in insuring modified or race prepared cars? If it’s true that race prepared cars are actually safer, or get into fewer accidents (in non-race situations) then someone stands to make a good profit starting that kind of insurance company.

I don't know if it’s the same today, but twenty years ago when I bought a motorcycle, there was an insurance company that had been set up JUST to insure motorcycles, as most insurance companies would not insure them, or would charge exorbitant rates. I looked for it on the web, but didn’t come up with anything. Maybe some current motorcyclists could give some insight.

How many cars/drives would it take to make an insurance company work? I know there is one car rental company in Toronto that is in effect self-insured, the owner of the rental company also owns an insurance company whose only client is the rental car company. Should RSO and/or the Canadian Association of Rally Sports start their own insurance company? Perhaps there are other racing groups that would be interested.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #11 - 01/25/4 at 11:49:03

I haven't posted in a while, so thought I would mention that this issue has not been dropped. There is a small committee of rally types (from Ontario clubs) who are looking into the challenge of getting coverage for cars used in motorsports from various perspectives (HTA, insurance, etc.). (By extension, this would include cars used in Solo I and Solo II, as well as for rallying.) They have only recently got started so there is nothing concrete to report yet.

As for the caged Impreza, Jim has been checking around for coverage. It may be that we have to cut the cage out of the car, which would be a darned shame! However, if we could get coverage for it as a daily driver, then we'd still have the pleasure of driving it. The damage caused by the deer hit hasn't yet been repaired.

Stay tuned for more.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #12 - 01/26/4 at 21:21:16

Nope, no luck. We tried another company. They tempted us, they teased us . . . and then said "no", no coverage.  Cry

We're looking at getting the damage repaired anyway and then, who knows? One disappointment at a time, I guess.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #13 - 03/01/4 at 20:28:13

The Impreza is fixed and safely at home in our garage. A friend loaned us dealer plates and Jim had the pleasure of driving it again.

The topic of insurance coverage for all motorsport vehicles is far from dead. We will be discussing it, I'm sure, at the RSO AGM on March 20. In the meantime, don't forgot to ask your club exec (regardless of which Ontario club you belong to) what's happening with this issue. Because of its complexity, it's going to take the efforts of a diverse group of motorheads to get anything done. So, whether you do performance rallying, TSD's, or Solo events, all of this effects YOU. If you love motorsports, please get involved!

Jeannie (MCO)

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #14 - 04/08/4 at 09:09:18

This chapter of our lives is now closed. I posted the Impreza for sale on the Atlantic Motorsports forum last week. A fellow from Manitoba flew in on Tuesday and began the long drive home yesterday. He is thrilled with his new rally car, and we are grieving its loss.  Cry

Anyone up for making insurance an election issue --- making that industry Angry  accountable?

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print