Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy needs some advice (Read 5416 times)
xtraxstar
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New guy needs some advice
01/14/4 at 22:55:38

Hey everyone i'm a 19y/o Toronto guy who really loves to drive and really really wants to get into rally racing.  Right now I'm looking for a car to buy...any suggestions? I can spend up to $6000 this car will also have to be my daily driver until the summer at least.  I've always wanted a porsche 944, but ive been told that its not a good choice for a rally car unless u have lots of $$ for parts. I am pretty sure im going to join the MLRC club..just out of curiosity whats the average age of the memebers?  thanks for your help!

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Re: New guy needs some advice
Reply #1 - 01/18/4 at 23:41:28

Hey, where's all the MLRC love??  Help this guy out!

Based on my TSD time and helping out at performance rallies, start off simple, unless you have $$ to dive right in.  Many of us start off (and stay in) TSD rallying, it's good fun, lots of cheap seat time, and you learn a lot about the sport.  All rallying is closely related, so it's good to know a bit about everything.  Try working at some of the performance rallies before you dive into competing at them (or do both!).  Somebody has to help run the event, and you learn a LOT helping out (and it's great fun).  

You may want to review current discussions on other club forums (www.mco.org) regarding modifying your car, and driving it on the street.  The interpretation of all matters insurance etc is in a state of flux (it's all fluxed up, basically).  Also, go to an MLRC meeting and ask the nice people lots of questions. Between running a million TSD rallies and the Tall Pines every year, they know a few things.

For TSD rally, any car will do.  You don't need horsepower, underglow neon, or anything fancy to compete.  Subies are popular, VW is popular, lots of Corollas out there, a few pick ups, Boxster, you name it, the list goes on, it rallies (FWD is usually cheaper and a good platform to learn car handling).

Good luck.
Craig
MCO Rally Group, Forum-a-holic

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #2 - 01/19/4 at 11:29:58

If you're interested in Porsches, at Targa Newfoundland 2003, a 2000-km tarmac rally, Porsche was the featured marque. A one-hour special on TN will be televised at 7 p.m. on January 31 on Global. There were several entries from Ontario rally clubs, which of course includes MLRC.

As for winter rallies, one MCO member has a 944 that he ran in some winter performances rallies the past couple of years, but I don't think he's going to do that this year. It's not a practical choice for someone who's on a fairly tight budget (which, at 19, I'm assuming you are). Subies are an amazing amount of fun!

Helping out at TSD rallies is a great way to get started, as is joining MLRC and asking lots of questions. You'll find it will just go from there.

Good luck!

Jeannie
MCO Rally Group and forum-a-holic in training

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #3 - 01/19/4 at 19:20:43

Ditto on above. TSD rallies are the place to start. Both Toronto clubs run series suitable for Beginners, Mini-Rally and Ralliette. Also, the provincial TSD ORRC series has Beginner classes. Get a hold of sample instruction books from MLRC meeting or from TAC website (or other places) and study the basics before entering.

Quick way to learn what's going on is to attend the MLRC meetings and introduce yourself around. You'll find lots of people with advice. Ask for Ed Richardson or Paul Henshall.

As for car (from your other thread) VW Golf's have the advantage of having tons of cheap parts available all over the place and that many past competitors have prepared them for pro-rally so there's lots of good advice about what to do. A 7 or 8 year old one can be had for not much money.

For TSD, any car would do, and the Lanos has the advantage of being relatively new but cheap. There may be issues with parts availability.

Ignore horsepower. It won't matter for a long while.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #4 - 01/22/4 at 16:29:15

I'm a newbie also. I'm co-driving in the upcoming Snow Safari (navigational rally) with an experienced driver to gain some knowledge before entering as a driver myself, maybe next summer, and I worked at the Tall Pines (performance rally) last fall (Hi Craig). Best view of the race.

I drive a Subaru, and the good thing about them (besides the AWD) is the very friendly and helpful local community (toronto-subaru-club.com).

If your going to enter performance rallies, have a car that is expendable. You may total it in your first race.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 01/22/4 at 22:25:44

Re "expendable", Hibbert is correct.  What I learned about *racing* (road racing, performance rallying, etc.) after I joined MCO (which is chock-a-block with racers) was the following:

If you can't afford to lose your car, you shouldn't be racing it.

Somebody else's sigfile, somewhere out there:
There are two types of people in rallying: those that have rolled, and those that will roll.  Wink

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
wreckdiver
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 01/24/4 at 14:16:33

SmileyHi :

I am from TO and I read in the MLRC forum that your looking at
getting into rallying . My friend has a 83 VW Sciroco . Has meet all
the SCCA  requirments for next season. He ran only for 1 rally this
year in Tall Pines and did pretty good. The egine is really strong
and modified to keep up with it class . The car comes with 2 sets of
rally tires, car has certified roll care. Suspension are Bilstien
all around with heavy duty springs. He is asking for $5000 compete
and ready to go for this season.

It is a good start up car for rallying. My friend is upgrading to a
Coupe Q. If you want pictures . let me know and I will send it  and
we can go from there.  

Thanks,
wreckdiver

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #7 - 01/24/4 at 16:54:58

If you're going to look at the rally car recommended by "wreckdiver", I would suggest that you also read "Caged and Screwed" on this forum (and in more detail on the MCO web site). Be VERY CAREFUL that you don't end up with a daily driver/rally car that you cannot get insured!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print