Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: GET YOUR FIRST AID CERTIFICATE ON- LINE (Read 3403 times)
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Re: GET YOUR FIRST AID CERTIFICATE ON- LINE
01/25/4 at 13:08:34

Yes, but can you save somebody's life with that "knowledge" and no hands-on practice?

Our first-aid provider, Active Canadian Emergency Training, tailored our two-day First Aid/CPR course to motorsports requirements (removing helmets, assessing injuries at a crash site, removing injured driver from caged car, etc.). We also learned the standard First Aid stuff, plus CPR.

I'm thinking that maybe you got what you paid for . . .  Lips Sealed

Jeannie

IP Logged
Nuwan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #1 - 01/25/4 at 18:32:33

Jeannie: how much would a course like the one you took cost? i'm looking into to it because i'll need it in the near future... thanks Smiley

Nuwan D
1992 Legacy Turbo
"understeer is when the driver is scared, oversteer is when the passengers are scared"
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #2 - 01/26/4 at 13:39:17

In the Ottawa area, you can expect to pay about $120 for a two-day course.

Active Canadian Emergency Training Inc. (ACET) has a somewhat different approach from the standard First Aid/CPR providers. The instructors are paramedics, so they KNOW what they're talking about. As well, they will customize courses to suit the needs of their clients, which include the police, etc. I wanted a First Aid/CPR course that would provide the basics, but with a motorsports focus, so I worked with them to include those elements.

They frequently provide courses on-site at the clients' workplace. In our case, of course, we don't have office space so I organized the training to be held locally. Everyone who took the course was involved in motorsports, with the exception of one family member. We were pleased with the quality of the course. In two years, we can take a one-day recertification to keep our qualifications up to date.

The ACET head office is in Kitchener, toll-free at 1-800-205-3278, and their web site is at www.activecanadian.com.

The cost per person no doubt varies, depending on the number of people taking it, etc. Our situation wasn't like, say, a Red Cross course, where they fill a given number of spots and charge a standard fee. I very much wanted ACET to provide the course and lobbied the MCO and BMW clubs for students. (Unfortunately, November was a bad time, as I lost 4 people to meetings in the Toronto area!) I also wanted to take a course with fellow motorsports enthusiasts.

This is the second time we have used ACET. I wrote a story about it for The Link, the MCO newsletter, the first time. I might be able to find it, if you were to contact me privately.

I hope this helps!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #3 - 01/26/4 at 14:13:29

Oh yes, more one thing: the fellow I worked with on course content is also a member of the MCO Rally Group. He was one of our two instructors.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print