Send Topic Print
Rally cross (Read 12901 times)
PAddy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Rally cross
Reply #15 - 04/13/4 at 17:21:00

Popular heresay says something about cages being required even for RallyX, and there's no minutes available on the CARS website from the AGM to check.  Say it ain't so anybody?

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #16 - 04/13/4 at 23:31:13

From my understanding that is the case.  RSO lobbied hard against this but it was passed.  So, I beleive that RSO feels that cages being mandatory essentially kills that area of the sport as it requires a near performance rally car just to try an event.  I think that is a step in the complete opposite direction.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #17 - 04/14/4 at 08:30:24

Just to clarify, the cages thing was in regards to rallysprint, not rallycross.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #18 - 04/14/4 at 08:36:58

That site is no longer up that explained the differences between RallySprint and RallyCross?  Could you for us novices?  I'm really not that interested in TSD's.  And if the cage thing is a neccesity, well, it truly is one giant step backwards for the sport.  I guess there looking for teams that will only wear matching apparel?  

The problem is that the very people that are trying to promote the sport (performance rallying) are also killing it at the grass roots level.  Personally, I enjoyed going to events and spectating with a small crowd of true enthusiasts, instead of the larger crowds of trend followers you see now.

Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: 04/14/4 at 09:09:13 by luv2drift »  

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - 04/14/4 at 09:33:18

Quote:
That site is no longer up that explained the differences between RallySprint and RallyCross?  Could you for us novices?

RallySprints were basically mini performance rallies, with transits and stages held on closed roads.  The problems with these events were that speeds were getting quite high in what were basically road cars.  Most had minimal (or no) cages and stock seat belts.

RallyCross is similar to a Solo II on gravel.  Usually held in a field or gravel pit with cones marking out the course.  Not much to hit so safety requirements are less stringent, i.e. no cages are required.

Quote:
The problem is that the very people that are trying to promote the sport (performance rallying) are also killing it at the grass roots level.  Personally, I enjoyed going to events and spectating with a small crowd of true enthusiasts, instead of the larger crowds of trend followers you see now.

Nobody is trying to kill the grassroots level, but I understand what you mean.  However, in order to promote the sport and draw in sponsors, we need to have bigger crowds and greater exposure.

I don't think there are that many trend followers yet.  I think if you talk to the people at the spectator areas, you'll find that most are hardcore rally enthusiasts like yourself!  The very nature of the sport - requiring people to leave the comfort of their living rooms and stand in the woods all day - may discourage some of the bandwagon types.

There's a possibility that the RallyCross series may be resurrected this summer.  Those of you who are interested in competing should contact RSO at http://www.rallysport.on.ca .  If they hear a lot of voices, the chances of us seeing the RallyX series again will be greater.  One thing to keep in mind - if the series reappears, it will likely be in Bancroft.

Stay tuned for more info, and thanks for your interest!

WWW   IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #20 - 04/15/4 at 09:31:46

The thought of driving 3 1/2 hours to Bancroft to drive in a field or gravel marked out by cones is not much inspiring when there is no prospect of the RallySprint series to move up to. Cry

Here's an idea, they could make it mandatory for would be competitors to run a season of RallyCross prior to acceptance to the RallySprint series?  This would allow for competitors to gain experience in car control and will better prepare them for RallySprint.  Would that not ease the rule makers some?  It's just not financially possible for some to move from RallyCross to full on performance events as they would still want to rally.

Why does it have to be all or nothing?  The whole alure of rallying is car control through close, unforgiving environments.  Competitors know this risk and are responsible for their own actions, and removing the "environment" will remove some interest in it, IMO.

PS. I thought sponsors would be more interested in television coverage as opposed to spectator numbers?  Even if an event has a large outing, it still would be less than a television audience, no?  Undecided

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #21 - 04/15/4 at 14:07:36

(speaking for myself)

Although they were called RallySprints, the events we ran in 2001 and 2002 fit the definition of RallyCross (not the European version of RallyCross, although it would be very cool if we had that here!).  There was a real RallySprint series in Quebec, but it is pretty much dead because of the new rules.

The new RallySprint rules are such that you have to build almost a full-out performance rally car just to run those types of events.  This pretty much squeezes out RallySprint and virtually eliminates its usefulness as a stepping stone.  Now that the cars have to be built to nearly the same standard, RallySprint is virtually the same as performance rallying but with a 3km limit for stages.  

I believe (although I could be wrong) that the Quebec series disappeared because there wasn't much interest after the new rules were announced.  Those who didn't have the money to build rally cars couldn't enter events, and those that could build cars figured they might as well move up into performance rallying.  Instead, a new RallyCross series has appeared, running mainly (I believe) at the MecaGlisse circuit.

Quote:
PS. I thought sponsors would be more interested in television coverage as opposed to spectator numbers?  Even if an event has a large outing, it still would be less than a television audience, no?

The two go hand in hand.  I think live crowds get more exposure than TV audiences to banners, vendors, sponsor logos on cars, etc. while TV viewers see more commercials and on-air plugs.  And events with large spectator numbers tend to have large TV ratings as well - people tell their friends about this really exciting sport they've discovered, and that it will be on TV in a few weeks...

WWW   IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #22 - 04/15/4 at 16:06:33

I wasn't aware they shared the same rules, thanks for clearing that up Alan.  Now I see why there is no interest in RallySprint!  Too bad, sounded like a great way (with the old rules) to get started in performance rally.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print