Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Subaru Ontario Winter Rally Results (Read 5285 times)
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Subaru Ontario Winter Rally Results
02/23/4 at 10:38:24

Results from the 2004 Subaru Ontario Winter Rally are now online.

http://www.mlrc.ca/owr/results.html

Thanks to everyone who made this a great rally!

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Williams
YaBB Newbies

Thanks - we had a great time!
Reply #1 - 02/23/4 at 13:33:06

Who would have guessed that my 135th rally would be my first TSD event!

John Buffum and I had a great time at the event, in spite of a host of little problems:

Start minus 14 hours: my flight to Montreal was cancelled  ... I managed to re-route to Ottawa in time.

Start minus 2 hours:  a relay failed on the driving lights keeping one on at all times -- bad for Quiet Zones ... we managed to scrounge a replacement relay from Marc Goldfarb.

Leg 1:  every time we turned on the driving lights the Alfa computer shut off.  We ran the first Leg without driving lights.

Leg 1:  after hitting a bump the Alfa fell off its mount.  I ran the rest of the Leg holding it with one hand and operating it with the other.  We got it re-attached during the break.

Leg 2 minus 30 minues: fixed the driving lights problem during the break by buying a car battery at the gas station and powering the Alfa from this.

Leg 2 start minus 15 minutes: discorvered that the Alfa was getting no odo pulses.  Figured it was a ground problem and fixed it by attaching a jumper cable from the "new" battery for the Alfa to a seat bracket.

Leg 2 minus 5 minues: while working with the electrics we set off the car's alarm (which JB didn't even know he had).  With horn beeping, flashers flashing and ignition disabled, be honestrly thought we would be getting a full nights sleep after all.  Some fiddling with the key in the lock shut off the alarm and we were off on Leg 2.

Leg 3 with 60 kms to go:  an attempt to take a 40kph 90-degree Right over Crest at 70kph resulted in only 20-degrees of turn and onto a deep snow bank.   At least 10 following competitors stopped and offered to help ... but we figured we were too burried to even try.  THANKS FOR THE OFFER!

---------------------------------------

JB and I are glad we ran the event ... we gained a good perspective on this type of rally.  We also figured a few "tricks" as the event progressed which I'm sure are obvious to those who have done this before:

1.  It's easy to lose a few seconds and really hard to gain them back.

2.  Every time JB would go into 2nd gear, I found I needed to add .02 km and the corresponding time to account for wheel spin.

Rally on!

Mark.

WWW   IP Logged
Nuwan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Re: Subaru Ontario Winter Rally Results
Reply #2 - 02/23/4 at 15:36:49

135 rallys? wow Shocked i'm in envy Wink

I already typed up my view of the rally for the TSC site so i thought i'd add it here as well...

Just wanted to say thanks for a great event; staying up for 26 hours straight and loving every minute of it (except the boring drive home)  I had horrible hesitation problems the nite before the rally which almost prevented me from running, but managed to fix them the morning of. Taking out "0.004" inches in the spark plug gap was the difference between the spark getting blown out by boost and not.

Luca and myself were doing pretty well until i stuffed my car in a bank on leg A, thanks for the tow Mike. We were trying to be a more accurate on this rally by calculating/timing each section but it made things more frustrating than fun, so we ditched that idea before the first checkpoint and went to the fun "seat of the pants" method. Being car #52 the roads were a pain in the arse to drive on because huge ruts and tire tracks had developed on the road and if you didn't drive exactly in them you were at their mercy, as a result pendulum's didn't work much anymore and the handbrake was god!

50kms into leg C I stuffed my car really good on a tight right hander going way too fast for the conditions, at first I managed to bounce the car out but it sucked me back in. I  cleared about 15 feet of snow bank from the left side of the road with the drivers side tail and then passenger side of my car, and i ended up on a 45 angle with my trunk out on the road and the nose of the car somewhere in the ditch a couple of feet below. While we were there 2 other cars got stuck on the entry to the same corner, and then Mike got stuck half way through. Thanks goes out to the sweeper crew who were able to pull us out later that morning, they said we had the best "off" of the nite... fun event although i DNF'd as a result.

I tore a mud flap almost completely off my car, bent that license plate more, bent the passenger door with that snow bank and broke a corner light... if it wasn't a rally car before it sure is now  Also managed to get some great in car video.

One of the organizers took a picture of my car in the snow bank, sorry i don't remember your name, any chance i could get a copy of it? thanks for the tow Grin

Nuwan D
1992 Legacy Turbo
"understeer is when the driver is scared, oversteer is when the passengers are scared"
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 02/23/4 at 23:11:17

Mark, what model Alfa is that?  I have the alfa elite and I had the EXACT same problems as you had with mine!  Bryn Epp suggested I use a ferrite core where we wrapped the lead wire going to the odo around the core.  This seems to have done the trick because our odo never had problems when shutting off the big lights.  If you are going to give another rally a try you could try that.  Thanks to you and John for coming such a long way out to have some fun!  I think all the competitors thought it was really neat to see you guys there!  

Oh, and one more thing...now I can truthfully say that I beat John Buffum and Mark Williams in a rally!!   Grin
thanks!!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
LastDitchRacing

Reply #4 - 02/24/4 at 09:14:27

Mark,
    Glad to see you and JB enjoyed the night!  What a crazy event!  Last year was my first TSD, and is was the Ontario Winter as well.  Absolutely nuts!  Smiley

Cheers!  John

WWW RallyMaine   IP Logged
Dave Cady
YaBB Newbies

So many cats, so few
recipies.

Reply #5 - 02/24/4 at 14:33:46

Mark, it was great to meet you at the event. Glad you enjoyed it.

For what it's worth, next time try taking out .02 km for wheelspin rather than adding it in. You'd want to add it in when all four wheels are locked up and you've gone 60 feet down the road (probably sideways). Actually, in my limited experience it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference one way or the other.

I thanked the organizers on the mailing list but I'll repeat those thanks here. Gary Thomas and I thought the whole event was terrific.

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 02/26/4 at 11:41:07

Photos have been added.

http://www.mlrc.ca/owr/photos.html

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print