Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What ever happened to swift rapids rally? (Read 3032 times)
dtompsett

Ontario
What ever happened to swift rapids rally?
03/22/4 at 21:59:32

I'm just curious... seems like the latest info i can find on the swift rapids rally is 2001... what happened to this event?

I drove this road in the fall, and the general conditions were crap... water crossings plague the road, and at the 9km mark, i found a hole in the road that was too deep and too wide to manuever the car around.

Did clubs decide that there was too much work involved with road prep to make this rally enjoyable?

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Re: What ever happened to swift rapids rally?
Reply #1 - 03/22/4 at 23:51:13

I think - but don't have any official info - that it was a combination of things.  The road had seen heavy use in previous years, frequently run twice per year for rallies, and some competitors were getting a bit tired of it.  It had earned a reputation as a bit of a car breaker, although the last year it ran, it was in the best shape I can remember.

I don't think it will be back anytime soon because of the condition of the road.  It's a shame, it's a really cool road.  Great challenge for the drivers, some excellent spectating locations, and the lock at the top end had some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

WWW   IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 03/23/4 at 08:22:11

Was it not canceled due to construction at the lock?  I had heard that they were doing road work etc. so they could get the trucks in to do whatever they were doing up there...I dunno, maybe not, but thats what I heard...I would like to see it back though, cool road and yes, great spectating locations!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #3 - 04/08/4 at 12:23:10

Is this the same ontario performance rally event I saw in around Simcoe in the summer of 2001?  If so, excuse my forgetful-ness of the event name.  That's too bad, cause it close compared to any of the other events I've went to.

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print