Send Topic Print
Exaust (Read 7738 times)
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Exaust
03/22/4 at 23:19:52

Hey all,

I planning on putting and exaust on a 91 civic SI with a jap spec engin. This car is going to eventually be rallyed, what would any of you suggest? I am looking for that rally sound out of it. I cant stand that noise that comes out of those riced up civics.  Thanks in advance

MacArthur

69339281   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Re: Exaust
Reply #1 - 03/23/4 at 09:50:50

Leave the exhaust stock until you start rallying.
Believe me, I know from experience, you'll just attract alot of unwanted attention.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #2 - 03/23/4 at 12:40:54

Please, for the love of the sport, keep the stove pipe exhaust at home!  Sorry, I just find them very annoying.   Grin

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Reply #3 - 03/24/4 at 04:40:31

ok, thanx guys Smiley  i just have somone who can bend all the pipes for me  for no cost. I might have it done and put on a muffler so it isnt so loud, but i will just have to wait and see.  IS it true that hondas need more back presure then most othter cars? I was told that if i were to go straight back from the cat then i would losse power instead of gaining power.

Thanks again for the input

MacArthur

69339281   IP Logged
Nuwan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #4 - 03/24/4 at 12:20:01

I'd be careful not to choose too large of a pipe diameter, it will cause you to lose low end torque but you'll gain a little in the high rpms.... for rallying i think you are better off trying to keep some low end torque (not sure if hondas have anything to begin with Wink )so i'd go with something like 2 1/4" piping on that car... you best bet is probably to talk to someone who drives a civic however. Also if you are looking for power equal length headers would help

good luck Smiley

Nuwan D
1992 Legacy Turbo
"understeer is when the driver is scared, oversteer is when the passengers are scared"
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #5 - 03/24/4 at 15:06:37

Ya, I have heard that about  low end torque as well with piping that is too large.  Rob Mackenzie (PMSC) has a civic SiR.  Maybe try contacting him...Just make sure you protect the suspension of the civic real well and I think it would make a pretty good rally car

John

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #6 - 03/24/4 at 19:46:39

MacArthur wrote on 03/24/4 at 04:40:31:
ok, thanx guys Smiley  IS it true that hondas need more back presure then most othter cars? I was told that if i were to go straight back from the cat then i would losse power instead of gaining power.

Actually, everything that you've heard about back pressure is a myth.  Here's the facts:
Back pressure is bad <period>.  It robs both horsepower, AND torque from your engine.
So no matter what, you want to have as little back pressure as possible.
However, (you knew this part was coming) there is much truth in the fact that having too large of exhaust pipes can rob some of your low-end torque.  This has nothing to do with back pressure.  The problem with the larger pipes is that they lower the velocity of the gases flowing through them.  It's not that difficult to understand; the actual flowrate is determined by the engine itself and has nothing to do with the exhaust system (relatively).  Therefore the flowrate will remain constant.  So if you increase the volume of the exhaust pipes while the flowrate remains constant, then the air velocity will naturally decrease.  This can easily be seen visually during the cold winter months.  Watch the tailpipe of any car with a stock exhaust system, you'll see the gases being blown out at very high speed even at idle.  Then take a look at a honda (or whatever) with a big phat aftermarket exhaust, and you'll see that it is trickling out at very low speed.
Now, the reason why lower velocity in the exhaust system robs you of power is very complex, but it can be simplied to just this: With a high air velocity in your exhaust system, basically what happens is that when the exhaust valves open, not only does the freshly burnt gases get pushed out by the force of the pistons, but they also get sucked out by the vacuum created by the high velocity of the previously burnt gases.  If you install a large diameter exhaust system, and sacrifice some velocity, you lose this vacuum effect, and it becomes more difficult for the gases to be expelled by the pistons, thus robbing some of the engines torque.
There is a way to calculate the opimum diameter of exhaust piping for your car, but you need to know the exact displacement of the engine, the volumetric efficiency (which you probably don't know), and what RPM you want to be optimised for.  I don't know the formula myself, but I'm sure it can be found on the net somewhere.

EDIT: Wow, what a long post.  Sometimes I just start typing away and don't realise how long I've been going for.  Away, that's about the shortest explianation I can give which still makes sense.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #7 - 03/25/4 at 07:07:01

And all of that nearly (though not totally) becomes moot if you've got a turbo car. With a tubo, smooth flow off the turbine is what matters. That's why a really nice turbo downpipe will have two separate pipes, one for the turbine side, and one for the wastegate side. That way, the pulsing exhaust on the wastegate side won't disrupt the flow of the constant exhaust on the turbine side. This allows the turbo to spool up faster, reducing turbo lag, and to spin faster, giving more boost at any given throttle position.

Yes, I'm in the process of going an exhaust on my Legacy Turbo, thus why I'm looking at all this stuff right now.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Reply #8 - 03/25/4 at 13:59:02

WOW WOW WOW,

THanks alot everyone for there input Grin I learnet alot. I was planning on going with 2 and a 1/4 piping.  And I am happy somone clarified the myth about back pressure.  I live in peterborough so i will have to go to the next PMSC meeting and talk to the guy with the civic. The only bad thing is that i work nights. I will just have to come up with some sort of problem on the day of the next meeting. lol.  

Some one also mentioned suspention (sp) thats also on my list of things to do this year.  That and a skid plate. I went into the ditch hard this winter and every thing was fine, but i went and checked out that spot where i went in yesterday, Had it been in the summer i would have destroyed the underside of my car.  Can anyone suggest what would be a good suspention? If so that would be great.

Thanks again for all the help. I have always found this board very very informative.  Look forward to competing against some of you in the next few years.

MacArthur

69339281   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #9 - 03/25/4 at 21:01:42

I remember seeing the exhaust size formula talked about here by our superknowledgables on the Flowmaster exhaust website.  I don't know the address offhand but a quick search should bring it up.

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #10 - 03/28/4 at 21:35:31

Jah, and just to refer to one of the early comments, it is true that an organiser CAN bar you from an event if the car is too loud.  So far I haven't seen it happen.  It's just to protect the sport from the public who don't think loud cars are cool.  Also, sometimes loud is equated with racing, and we aren't racing on public roads.  So, it is something to keep in the back of your mind.  Dats all.  Good luck with it. Grin

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #11 - 03/28/4 at 22:51:33

Yup. one of the many reasons my car is getting an exhaust done soon. I love the sound, but it's a bit much right now. Once it's done though, oh it'll be a thing of aural beauty.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print