Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AMSOIL Synthetic Oil (Read 5321 times)
Anthony_T

AMSOIL Synthetic Oil
04/25/4 at 22:19:56

I realize I may be stretching the purpose of this forum a little bit - but hopefully the information would be useful to others too.

I've been looking into synthetic oils and their advantages, differences etc...  As I come across the AMSOIL I noticed two things 1) the cost is considerable higher BUT 2) they list the interval at which you need to change is 25 000 miles or yearly (whichever comes first).

Reading the tests published on their website one can conclud how they can justify the longer interval between changes (because of longer period before oil evaporation, breakdown......)

BUT my question

Of those people using this oil for their everyday transport, are you actually following this recommendation or opting for the regular 5000km/3000mi oil change.

As a time and money saver the yearly change is attractive, even quarterly would be attractive - but is it too good to be true?

Thoughts anyone?

Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Re: AMSOIL Synthetic Oil
Reply #1 - 04/26/4 at 12:27:20

My dad was a sales rep for amsoil (sort of still is) I will ask him tonight when i have a chance. I will let you know as soon as possible. From what i know it is true.  

But i will let you know

MacArthur

69339281   IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #2 - 04/27/4 at 08:52:09

I change the oil every 15,000 km but change the filter every 5000 km. We had a guest speaker at a club meeting once who had carried out tests and found that filters clog up and go to bypass at around that distance. So leaving the filter in for too long gives no benefit, in fact it ceases to filter. But the oil, especially synthetic, can last a long time. I am tempted to leave the oil for even longer than 15,000 km.

IP Logged
Do_It_Sidewayz

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 04/27/4 at 15:27:04

personally i'm running Royal Purple. which is decently priced at around $7 a liter.

In my mind...changing oil is cheap insurance, and i'm known to short change it a little.    

The only reason i see to leave the oil there for so long..is because your trying to save some cash.

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #4 - 04/27/4 at 18:54:04

I too run AMSOIL.  I change the filter every 8000km or so (or whenever the oil gets dirty)  I also replace the old oil at about 16000 kms.  So far so good, I like the stuff.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
suprfly
YaBB Newbies

3 cylinders?No way.

Ont.
Reply #5 - 05/04/4 at 20:05:35

I use Mobil1 in my daily driver B2200, and change it twice a year, which is about every 25k, with filter changes at about 10k. In the family unit I change it once a year, about 25k, with the filter at about 10k.
So far, no problems.

You may want to check this out.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #6 - 05/11/4 at 22:35:29

Thanks all for your insight.
The recent gas price hike has only fueled
my desire to convert to AMSOIL - At
the very least I can sleep better knowing
I am doing at least one thing to not support
the OPEC pirates.

(and I won't mind the less frequent O/Cs)
Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #7 - 05/26/4 at 19:00:39

I use some German synthetic stuff in the VW, but that's another story.  A lot of of the racers in MCO use Mobil 1 and swear by it. I seem to recall a few of them will not use Amsoil, but you'd might have to do some digging on the MCO forums to find why, I can't remember.  Personally I have no experience with it, and I know many people rave about it.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print