Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2004 siverstone black bear rally spectating info (Read 20830 times)
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Re: 2004 siverstone black bear rally spectating in
Reply #15 - 06/23/4 at 13:22:23

Does anyone know how many cars are entered in the rally? the web site says 10, but it hasent been updated for a while.

thanks in advance

69339281   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #16 - 06/23/4 at 13:33:08

I think it was 12 confirmed last night at MLRC meeting?

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Alex Korovkine
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 06/23/4 at 15:57:33

So far I remember it was 14 cars confirmed.
May be I' am wrong.

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #18 - 06/27/4 at 17:17:52

nhibbert wrote on 06/21/4 at 18:02:37:
Rant:
How come I have to look at the Supplimentary Regulations to find out when the rally starts and where the HQ is?

First, because that's the logical place to find that information.  

Second, I would argue that reading the supp regs may teach you more about rallying AND provide you with useful information that you won't find on the usual event web pages.  As a spectator or a marshal, I scan them quickly as a matter of routine.  Of course, clicking on the supp regs link is pretty difficult.  Undecided

Don't forget that these events are run by volunteers. Be patient if the information isn't served on a platter when you want it.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #19 - 06/27/4 at 18:07:42

Craig

Don't think I don't appreciate the effort put in by all those involved. The clarity and detail of the results page, and the speed at which it was put up, is testament to the dedication of the people in charge of the web site.

I was able to find all the information I needed eventually, but I was also telling non-rally people about the rally and suggesting they come out. I would have liked to tell them to check the web site for spectator info, but the spectator page seemed to be lacking basic spectator information, like where to go and at what time. Having a user friendly (idiot proof) web page is important if you want to attract non-rally people to the event.

AlanO did a superb job of supplying the relevant information in a clear and concise manner once the oversight was corrected. Thank-you for that.

Norman

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #20 - 06/27/4 at 18:31:46

I have all the appreciation in the world for the volunteers, members, and workers around here; and the MLRC website & these boards are absolutelly amazing - I found lots of good info around here:).

But I think it's slightly defensive to jump against any polite suggestions -- honestly, for a random spectator, "supplementary regulations" (in the competitors area) are NOT a 'logical place' to look for a location. If it is for you... you're too far gone, man!  Grin

A well-maintained website like MLRC's is priceless, and every good webmaster appreciates errata. Kudos to Alan for quickly adding the info:)

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #21 - 06/27/4 at 18:50:59

Thanks for the kind words.

The club's website (including the Black Bear webpage) is my responsibility and I apologise that more detailed spectator information was not available.  I was out of the country for most of May and June and spectator info was one of the things on the to-do list before I left.  Unfortunately I forgot to post it and compounded this error by forgetting to tell Alex (who did a great job in my absence - thanks!) that it needed to be added.

I hope everyone enjoyed the rally.  Thanks for supporting the event!

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #22 - 06/27/4 at 22:51:23

Ahhh, nothing like lighting up the board.   Smiley

No seriously, though, I agree that the pages need to be updated, but if you're into rally enough, or curious enough, to drive 2-4 hours to get there, it never hurts to do some exploring on the website.  Those links won't bite, and you learn a lot about the event and the sport by visiting competitor oriented areas.  (To be honest, I find that at least half of what I get emails for on the MCO site are for things that are posted there for months.  People simply refuse to seek the info! That is my direct experience.)

Far gone? Oh yeah.  You're right there.  Watch what you say about me though, I'll activate your local MCO cell. Tongue

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #23 - 06/28/4 at 11:41:47

C. Hamm wrote on 06/27/4 at 22:51:23:
 Far gone? Oh yeah.  You're right there.  Watch what you say about me though, I'll activate your local MCO cell. Tongue

Yup, we all know how "far gone" Craig is!  Grin But he has a reasonable amount of company there. As for the "local MCO cell", I think we have one member in the TO area . . . don't make us call on him for help.  Wink

Hope all those new to the sport enjoyed spectating at Black Bear. For sure, for us workers, it was a blast!!   Grin

Jeannie

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #24 - 06/28/4 at 12:42:59

hmm, looks like I better join a local club soon, lest the MCO guys track me down defensless (for commenting on a comment on a comment)!  Shocked

(... and here I thought at least Jeanie would be on my side... I guess I shouldn't have sat in her chair on Saturday!  Cheesy )

Anyhoo, to get somewhat back on topic - we had two allowed spectating areas on Saturday. Are rules & regulations different in other provinces/countries? Watching the rally on TV last night, I get the feeling in Europe they can stay anywhere it's reasonably safe...?

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #25 - 06/28/4 at 14:50:16

Nikola wrote on 06/28/4 at 12:42:59:
Anyhoo, to get somewhat back on topic - we had two allowed spectating areas on Saturday. Are rules & regulations different in other provinces/countries? Watching the rally on TV last night, I get the feeling in Europe they can stay anywhere it's reasonably safe...?

I think that you will find in Europe that the rules related to liability are quite different.

Therefore NA rallies are having to be quite careful about where they let people go. I believe that the two deaths at the Ski Sawmill Club Rally in the US last year, has had a big effect on spectating and the expectations of organizers with regards to crowd control. It is a pain, because those of us who do crowd control are constantly dealing with people that say, "I was allowed to go there last year!". However, if we don't do it we either won't have spectating or we won't have rallies Embarrassed

Dave C
I work rallies for food!

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #26 - 06/28/4 at 16:15:25

Nikola wrote on 06/28/4 at 12:42:59:
(... and here I thought at least Jeanie would be on my side... I guess I shouldn't have sat in her chair on Saturday!  Cheesy )

I was at WRC Cyprus in May.  I was fairly shocked at the LACK of spectator control.  Most people were pretty smart about things, but there were no marshals in spectator areas.  Weird, man.

Jeannie, actually MCO has quite a few members in the TO area, but they are mostly road racers (not the same as street racers, to any insurance dweebs out there).  Don't make me push the button!!!!!

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #27 - 06/28/4 at 17:06:07

C. Hamm wrote on 06/28/4 at 16:15:25:
Jeannie, actually MCO has quite a few members in the TO area, but they are mostly road racers . . .

Ah, I have indeed succumbed to the dark side. I was thinking only of the rally guys . . . er, rally guy.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
2004 Silverstone Black Bear Rally a success!
Reply #28 - 07/02/4 at 10:12:12

Maple Leaf Rally guys and others, I thought you might like to read the comments of the Jamaican team that won Black Bear. Please see the MCO Rally forum at: http://www.mco.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3013

Well done, everyone!

Jeannie Smiley

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
2004 Silverstone Black Bear Rally kudos
Reply #29 - 07/02/4 at 10:16:14

For those not inclined to check the link, here is what the driver of the Jamaican team said on the MCO Rally forum:

Thanks everyone for your kind words.....I must say that the reception was very warm from the Canadians to cancel out the cool weather conditions. Even though it was not a big event, the organization was one of the best we have experienced. Congrats to the organizers and marshalls on a wonderful event.

Special thanks to Stewart Hoo and the Can-Jam Motorsport crew for getting the car prepared on time and the excellent service on the rally.

Richard Rerrie

« Last Edit: 07/02/4 at 16:42:52 by Jeannie VE3JNE »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print