Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RallyCross (Read 12612 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
RallyCross
06/08/4 at 05:36:31

OK folks, I need to gauge interest in rallycross events this summer. They would be held in the pit in Bancroft again, if we get sufficient interest to get some clubs to take on the organization. So, please email me at ryan.huber@rallysport.on.ca if you are interested in competing in one or more event, and I'll forward that on to the clubs to see if they want to hold some events. Participation numbers will likely be the determining factor on if these events happen or not. I think 10 cars is a realistic floor, we'd need more than that solidly planning to enter for a club to consider taking on the organization.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Re: RallyCross
Reply #1 - 06/10/4 at 11:13:22

With all the gravel pits here in Southern Western Ontario, is there not one that could be used instead???

I already sold my rally project car when learning of the rule change/demise of RallySprint, so driving 3+ hours to Bancroft in and competing with my old daily driver is too much.

The simple success of Solo II events is simple; the parking lots used for competition are not 2 1/2 to 3 hours away for 95% of the competitors.

Just my 2 cents...

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
sebwrc
YaBB Newbies

Canada @ the moment.
Reply #2 - 06/10/4 at 16:16:57

Too bad , they cancelled the rallysprint..
it was the only event for amateur rally drivers to gain some gravel experience.....+
there is only 2 performance rallies in Ontario per year,
somebody should really organize one closer.
Bancroft is a bit far, and they use the same SS over and over..that's not exiting anymore.

If they won't do something about it, this sport will dissapear soon in Canada. What about tarmac events?
i had a chance to explore bancroft and surrounding areas, and some of the places are perfect.

Tall Pines Rally is ok, but nothing compared to some european events, believe me, its all about insurance here, too much bs!!!!!          

Think about it really , before the sport dies out.

IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #3 - 06/10/4 at 21:26:19

Sebwrc, maybe you could help organize one instead of letting the sport die.

Andrew Harvey

Andrew Harvey Photography
www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #4 - 06/12/4 at 22:49:26

Rally is not a sport for those who aren't committed.  
It's a real "Never say die" type of attitude
You're in or you're out and for those "lucky" ones fortunate enough to be really bitten by the bug - they are thankful that three hours is ALL they have to drive to get their rally fix.

Many people in rally are travelling much more then three hours to run much shorter events, minis, ORRCs or even just to volunteer so others can run.

Homebodies should stick to solo2 and their scorchingly hot parking lots- we'll have our fun amongst twisties in the trees.

(my preference/advice to increase participation (and to appease those less willing to travel)- limit the series to one or two, two day events.  This keeps it affordable in several respects...)

I'll throw in my yes to participate in a short affordable    
event.

WWW   IP Logged
suprfly
YaBB Newbies

3 cylinders?No way.

Ont.
Reply #5 - 06/13/4 at 20:14:21

Please don't take this as a flame, because it isn't intended as such. I kept my mouth shut about this for a long time.I tried last year to find out what I had to do, to get something organized in Southern/Southwestern Ontario, and even spoke to landowners, and scouted a few possible sites, with the intention of scouting more. I stopped short of joining a club because I wanted to see first if I was wasting my time. It didn't take too long to find out. I don't recall the names, but the people at RSO that I spoke to completely blew me off. They had NO interest at all, and did not hesitate to tell me so. I was really interested in rally, and thought that it would be a good way to get started. I was warned ahead of time about the attitude, and clique-ish behaviour, but I didn't believe it. That experience has soured me on rally in Ontario.

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #6 - 06/13/4 at 21:31:02

All due respect AnthonyT, but we're not all born with that kind of commitment. While I certainly both respect and appreciate the true "Die-hards", (and have more then once been in a dillema about dilluting the membership of different hard-core, tight groups with "newbies"), I'm not sure if influx of careful, calculating members is such a bad thing.

"Do or die" members are a blessing and a curse - they join up easily and their plans are grandiose - but their lack of foresight often makes them quit soon after they realize the actual difficulties and commitment to the activities.

In respect to rally, I'm hoping that my gradual and careful approach - phased commitment if you will:) -- will enable me to enter the sport in a controlled manner and enjoy it increasingly for years to come Smiley. I don't quite appreciate the sentiment that I should just pack up and leave (i.e. "your homebody kind isn't welcome here") just because I'd like to start things a little bit closer to home - if possible; especially prior to ever actually experiencing the event -- I think informed commitment beats reckless 'commitment' every time;).

In short - asking potential participants and newbies to commit to unknown, may bring few willing participants, even fewer in the long run, and arguably their willingness for uninformed sacrifice and zealous behaviour may not actually beneft the community in the long run.

In the end, some compromise is inevitable for any organized activity to grow its base...

....... besides, you can only expect spoiled Torontians to assume every activity would revolve around our residence  8) Grin
--------

In the end, I'm personally definitelly interested (and so's at least one of my friends), but I wouldn't sign a participation contract until I know where/when/how...

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #7 - 06/14/4 at 10:02:16

In response to AnthonyT's post,
First off, I'm very commited... to my family; and a hobbies/sports (as strong a desire as they are) come second, period.  Money and time considerations will always outweigh the "commitment" for folks like me.

Secondly, I was only pointing out the large turnout to those Solo II events simply because of the proximity.  And I prefer "twisties in the trees" over scorchingly hot parking lots" anyway!

Thirdly, my previous post was merely pointing out that driving my '89 Golf that far to beat on it and still return home was a little concerning.

Anthony,
Guelph

PS.  Any event away from Toronto is a good thing!  I avoid it anytime I can.

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #8 - 06/14/4 at 20:19:54

I guess I was not clear in my thoughts.  My comments are more directed at the time it takes to travel to events.   Relative to rallying, three hours travel is not far.  Think of those that travel out west, or to Quebec.

This is not something I can personally afford to do.  (Those that know me know how little I actually compete)

However

Either as a volunteer or competitior, I would hesitate  to complain about it taking 3 hours to drive to Bancroft, you never know who just drove up from the maritimes or the States.  

I apologize if this came off as an attack on committment, it was more an offense at perceived complaining.  If you don't like it, don't do it...  or stick to minis close to home (if you're lucky enough to have them - not everyone is) Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #9 - 06/18/4 at 00:09:01

suprfly wrote on 06/13/4 at 20:14:21:
Please don't take this as a flame, because it isn't intended as such. I kept my mouth shut about this for a long time.I tried last year to find out what I had to do, to get something organized in Southern/Southwestern Ontario, and even spoke to landowners, and scouted a few possible sites, with the intention of scouting more. I stopped short of joining a club because I wanted to see first if I was wasting my time. It didn't take too long to find out. I don't recall the names, but the people at RSO that I spoke to completely blew me off. They had NO interest at all, and did not hesitate to tell me so. I was really interested in rally, and thought that it would be a good way to get started. I was warned ahead of time about the attitude, and clique-ish behaviour, but I didn't believe it. That experience has soured me on rally in Ontario.

I suggest that you send a letter to the RSO Board with this most unfortunate experience.  It is not what we need.  I would love to have somebody ELSE scouting around the country side  for venues for 'my' club.  That's what we need more of - people that don't need to be asked to contribute.  I try not to get too bitter, but I get tired of those people that only compete in the road rallies, and aren't out there doing anything else (in road rally).  If you haven't at least worked a road rally control in the last 12 months, you're not helping, and you're missing out on part of the sport (excluding perf rally orgs and others obviously pouring their life into the sport etc)

I felt blown off years ago, in another province, when I approached a club as a young guy keen on rallying.  I never forgot it. It took me over 10 years to followup.

Superfly, thanks for trying your best.  Please followup with RSO.  Btw, I will appreciate you in Ottawa!  Wink

Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
dan sprongl

Reply #10 - 06/19/4 at 13:18:46

Hi Ryan

I would like to see the rally sprint series brought back to life again.  I  do not mind driving to Bancroft, but on the other hand if we could get an event closer to where the majority of competitors are coming from that would make the most sense.

But one way or another we need to bring back the sport, it is a great feeder event/series.

I have a few more people interested, I have also sent you a private  email of this forum with another name, this guy is keen on promoting the series.

And as Four Star Motorsports, I would be willing to sponsor the series, regardless of were it is run.

Let me know if we can work together on this.  

Thanks

Dan Sprongl

IP Logged
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Reply #11 - 06/20/4 at 18:10:46

I would also be very interested in this sort of event. What sort of venues are you looking for? I know of a few gravel pits in the ptbo area. Also, many unknown public back roads that dont get alot of public travel. It would be alot of fun to run in one of these, but it would also be lots of fun to help organize one. If i can be of any help shoot me a email

MacArthur

69339281   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print