Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
The 2004 Four Star Motorsports Rallycross Series (Read 54526 times)
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Re: The 2004 Four Star Motorsports Rallycross Seri
Reply #90 - 10/09/4 at 11:44:14

If the helmet doesn't have the label mandated in the rallycross rules, it is not acceptable.  The only exception is if the helmet is FIA-certified for rallying (i.e. Peltor helmets) and accepted by CARS for performance rallies.

You can get rallycross-legal M-class helmets for pretty cheap.  Try a kart racing shop.

WWW   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #91 - 10/10/4 at 10:06:49

Thx:). That much (that I need an approved helmet) I knew though, hence the question - is this label among the approved ones? It's mentioned on the Snell Memorial Foundation (www.smf.org) webpage, but I'm too inexperienced to know if it's two names for the same thing, or something wildly different. It's on the CanTire helmets somebody mentioned were ok for non-rollcage use...

I'm getting a bit desperate because for some reason places like CSC Racing don't work on the weekend (only time I've been in the country lately:(). If CanTire helmets are no good, I don't know alternative weekend location to buy helmets at... :|

« Last Edit: 10/10/4 at 11:02:31 by Nikola »  

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #92 - 10/10/4 at 12:15:22

I'm no engineer, but I had a look at the Snell/DOT comparison found on Snell's website at http://www.smf.org/articles/dot.html

The sentence that jumped out at me was this:

Quote:
DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much.

So I would have to say that unless the helmet you're looking at bears a Snell label, it's no good.  We have to be fairly strict with helmet rules and can only accept what we know has been tested to Snell's standards.

You can order from CSC online, info is available at http://www.cscracing.com/information.htm

We also have loaner helmets that you can borrow at the event if you cannot buy one in time.  Look for my brother (Erik Ockwell) who will be arriving in a green Ford F150, he'll get you a helmet if necessary.

WWW   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #93 - 10/10/4 at 14:40:44

Thanks again - I understand the need for strictness; the confusion of numerous labels out there makes it a necessity I am sure. I'll see if I can find a motorcycle shop next Saturday (ordering a helmet sight-unseen would probably only result in a expensive yet unsafe poor fit Sad).

Back to the vinyl protection somebody mentioned, and the rules: if I grab some vinyl sheets from Rona, cut them to shape of my doors, and tape them smugly (so they don't flutter etc), would that be acceptable? Or do people use some different kind of protection?

I know I'm pestering you guys with questions - I just figure it's better to be safe then sorry:).

Thanks

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #94 - 10/18/4 at 09:21:41

Wow, what a day yesterday!Smiley Even though I took my very own, unbeaten path through the pit, had two mediocre slalom runs, and chickened out for the final pit run, my friends & I absolutelly had a blast!  Cheesy

Big, huge thanks to the organizers of the event; Ryan for letting me ride in his car and seeing how it's supposed to be done; and John for helping prevent a heart-attack when my car developed a groaning squeek  Roll Eyes

At the end of the day I noticed that I was almost the only person with a visible license plate... hope there weren't any intruders around  Shocked

Cheers all, and see you at Lanark Highlands!

PS I was car #11, Silver '04 Impreza Sedan. Any pictures/videos are always appreciated... especially the one plowing straight through the cones on the 2nd slalom run :>

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #95 - 10/18/4 at 10:12:32

Glad you had fun man, though I don't know if I'm really the one to show you how it's done properly!

I had a blast, finally lost that bit of trim just behind the rear door on the driver's side, but that's ok, I'd lost an inner fender lining the day before crossing 10" of water on Mayo Lake!

We're going to work on our organizational setup, clarify a few rules, etc for next year. Congrats to the real organizers for a job well done.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
James Drake
YaBB Administrator

Ontario
Reply #96 - 10/18/4 at 10:28:30

Once again another fantastic day in Bancroft! Even though it rained, it was nice to see that it didn't put people off.

Thank you to all the organisers for putting on the whole Rallycross series, I can't wait for next years series!!

Also congrats to all the Winners in all three events.

Well, I think that there is some kind of small event in Bancroft in just under 5 weeks, i dought that they will have as many people show up as we did, but good luck to them all the same. Wink

James
A3 Golf #5 (sadly not the James in the nice blue 2.5RS)

James Drake

MLRC Membership Chairman
MLRC Rallycross Coordinator
  IP Logged
James Drake
YaBB Administrator

Ontario
Reply #97 - 10/18/4 at 14:30:23

Andrew Harvey,

I was just reading back over the posts, and saw that you will print posters, how much and how big?

Thanx,
James

IM sent

James Drake

MLRC Membership Chairman
MLRC Rallycross Coordinator
  IP Logged
pinchy
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #98 - 10/19/4 at 00:45:27

I got some shots Smiley ...not as good as the Pro's but  lots of em.....

http://www.pinchy.ca/picsforum/index.php?cat=12

sorry if I missed anyone, I also had to drive Smiley  and the guys that I missed for sure were in the #10/13 car ......  I was right in between.....

Cheers

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #99 - 10/19/4 at 07:11:04

Awesome shots man, you even got my goofy grin as I was about to start my last run!  Grin

Thanks!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #100 - 10/20/4 at 08:18:28

Results from the third event are now online.

http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/results.html

WWW   IP Logged
JAY
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ont.
Reply #101 - 10/20/4 at 14:15:50

Pics! Go here:
http://www.ce.rit.edu/~mezz/gallery/Rallycross2?page=1

There are a lot of photos of me because my folks had the camera for a lot.

I had a cold, wet, muddy thouroughly good time last Sunday. It was a great series overall, well worth the six hour (each way!) drive each time. Many thanks go to the organisers and volunteers who put in their free time to run the event, and to 4star for helping it happen. Here's to lots of events in '05!

- J

WWW   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #102 - 10/22/4 at 00:00:39

Photos from the October rallycross are now online.  Thanks Andrew for the excellent shots!

http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/photos.html

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print