Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2004 tall pines route (Read 11342 times)
rally_master

eat, sleep, rally

2004 tall pines route
08/09/4 at 10:00:04

has the route for the 2004 event has been decided i was just wondering cause i waas gonna take a drive threw it this weekend are the stagges goona be run in the same order ?

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Re: 2004 tall pines route
Reply #1 - 08/09/4 at 15:26:38

Routes are generally not disclosed prior to the rally for a variety of reasons.

I don't like to lecture, but it must be said: if you do drive the roads in the area, please drive responsibly.  If the local residents get irritated, we can lose access to the roads for the rally.  Thanks in advance.

WWW   IP Logged
rally_master

eat, sleep, rally

Reply #2 - 08/09/4 at 16:01:09

ok thatnks alot for the info of course im just gonna take a drive to see the best spectating area im not those type of drivers that blast tthrew the road
thanx for the help

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 08/09/4 at 16:19:25

Honestly, the best places to spectate will be the spectator areas.  Unless you are media (Not sure who you are!) you will not be allowed into any areas but the spectator ones and know that we will not send cars into a stage if there are unauthorized spectators in a stage.  This is all regulated now under the CARS safety guidelines.  Its a no choice for organizers or spectators.  Enjoy your drive

John

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 08/09/4 at 20:37:34

rally_master, don't take it personnally. What Alan and John are saying is important. Roads, especially in Southern Ontario, are getting harder and harder to get road permissions secured. If the routes were announced in advance there would likely be many people that would try to practice on them, or just run them at speed for kicks. Many of these roads have cottages and homes on them and this would upset the local people. We depend on these folks and their neighbours to support the Rally of the Tall Pines, so the Rally supports them.

Volunteer for the Rally and you will begin to appreciate the massive effort that goes into taking care of these roads and their landowners.

Like John said, event insurance is forcing spectators to stay in the authorized Spectator points only, so there is no point to trying to find your own spots. We will just have to move you anyway.  

DC

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #5 - 08/09/4 at 21:37:40

If you really want to know what the roads are like, then wait till the winter, and enter the SOWR.

Don't bother trying to find a good spot to spectate outside of the designated areas.  Unless you're a worker, or a local resident sitting on your front lawn, then you are gonna be limited to spectator areas.

It's all the more reason to come out and work the rally.  I enjoyed myself the first year, and even more the 2nd year.... the driveway I was parked at on old hastings was home to a husband and wife who were really excited about the rally.  Meant I could walk a few hundred meters down the road to a little yump and snag photos of the cars as they caught air.

The only excuse I can use to be on those roads this time of year (I was on south wollaston lake road on sunday..... it's part of SOWR) is that dad has a cottage in the area... on wollaston lake infact.... south wollaston lake road is just a twistier route to get home... and it means a little side trip to 'The Gut'

I'm sure you have no intentions of going out and annoying the locals... but for many of them, the roads are so remote, that they don't expect cars to drive by... ever!

Don't spectate... work... you'll enjoy the perks!

IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #6 - 08/10/4 at 08:56:34

Haven't been to the Tall Pines yet, but are these "spectator area" only policy new to all events or just the Tall Pines?

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #7 - 08/10/4 at 14:05:13

These are now at ALL canadian events.  Some follow the rules better than others though.  Do everyone a favor and obey the rules and we can all have a great time.  Spectator areas are almost always at great spots too.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #8 - 08/10/4 at 16:09:08

Not to mention that you can get warm food and beverage, possibly be on TV, hear the scores over the loud speaker, meet other rally people and even get free get free posters sometimes at the spectatro areas.  The workers don't even get them!

But, working is just as fun, if not more fun.  I don't think i will go to another rally as a spectator...I will always work the event.

Andrew Harvey

Andrew Harvey Photography
www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #9 - 08/10/4 at 20:42:56

Andrew_Harvey wrote on 08/10/4 at 16:09:08:
I don't think i will go to another rally as a spectator...I will always work the event.

Andrew Harvey

I am with Andrew on this one.  In fact, I have only ever been a spectator on one rally and that was Voyageurs, when it ran out of the North Bay and Temagami area. A long time ago.

Since then I have worked every rally I have been to.

Try working you will like it.

DC

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #10 - 08/10/4 at 21:04:19

Yep, why be a spectator when YOU can be the person starting your favourite driver from the start line, or timing them at the flying finish?  YOU could be the guy handing them the stickers (OK, this is not exciting, but you're in direct face-to-face contact with the teams), or seeing them out on the stages at a TC (traffic control) that nobody else is allowed to have access to?  Also, you get to hang with loads of rally-obsessed people (let's pretend that's a good thing... Smiley) and you will learn a LOT about the sport in short time.  The organisation will even subsidise you for basic accomodations, and feed you after the event.  Need we say more??

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #11 - 08/10/4 at 21:05:36

By the way, if it's rained in Bancroft like it has here (Ottawa) today, there may not be any roads left!

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #12 - 08/10/4 at 22:21:29

C. Hamm wrote on 08/10/4 at 21:05:36:
By the way, if it's rained in Bancroft like it has here (Ottawa) today, there may not be any roads left!

hmmmm.... seems there was a discussion about this over on the mco forums.... teehehe  http://www.mco.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3084

Yes... even a subaru can get up "on plane"!

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #13 - 08/11/4 at 08:12:26

C. Hamm wrote on 08/10/4 at 21:04:19:
Yep, why be a spectator when YOU can be the person starting your favourite driver from the start line, or timing them at the flying finish? . . . Also, you get to hang with loads of rally-obsessed people (let's pretend that's a good thing... Smiley) and you will learn a LOT about the sport in short time.  The organisation will even subsidise you for basic accomodations, and feed you after the event.  Need we say more??

I'm with Craig on this one! It's a lot more fun being involved in the events and getting to meet the teams and hanging out with other rally freaks than just standing around, passively watching the action. Working is the next-best thing to competing!  Grin

Jeannie

IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #14 - 08/11/4 at 12:10:20

I'm must say I'm a little put off by these "spectator area" rules as I enjoyed going where I pleased in the past.  Like with everything else, I guess I have to get used to it's not the good ol' days anymore.

I have been a little out of touch with attending events since the birth of our baby two years ago and plan on re-joining the "faith" again and hope to work some future events when my schedule permits.

PS. Is the "Voyageurs" rally no more?

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print