Thunder Bay (Read 9601 times)
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Thunder Bay
08/10/4 at 09:58:55

Ok, well I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario! And this city of mine is an EXCELLENT city to hold a rally! The problem is no one is willing to commit or do anything to actually have a Rally!

There are tons of people willing to help but no one willing to lead!

So my question is this, is anyone here able to like hold a rally race In or around Thunder Bay???

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Re: Thunder Bay
Reply #1 - 08/10/4 at 10:02:44

www.dmmr.ca is a local car club I am affiliated! If anyone would like to join it and get a topic going on in there go for it! We all like the idea, but we need a kick in the pants if you know what I mean! Especially considering winter is coming up!

Thunder Bay pop 120,000
And its almost nothing but trees forest and little back roads which wind through the country side!

If anyone has ever been there they can vouche for me its an excellent place to hold a Rally!

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #2 - 08/10/4 at 12:58:31

Don't forget Thunder Bay has an good ice-racing scene.  If you haven't been, go to a few events as they are fun to watch, if you can't compete.

There will likely be some cross over between the rally crowd and the ice-racing crowd.

Andrew Harvey

Andrew Harvey Photography
www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 08/10/4 at 14:03:41

If you are serious then perhaps you should be the one to step up.  You would need a great organizing crew especially for the first time event but I can pretty much guarantee support from other RSO memebers if you guys were very serious about making this happen

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 08/10/4 at 15:00:57

We do have an awesome Ice Racing scene! And I beleive there should be events year round! I know that Rally leagues have rules and so forth! I dont know If i have what it takes to actually start up a circuit!

There isnt like a guide as to starting your own rally circuit or something is there??

There was this one guy who would let us build a track on his land which was about 126 acers! But that fell through cause if anyone was injured he would be held liable or something along those lines.

Perhaps I should apprach the city and surounding municilpalities and ask them to shut down some streets to have an event???

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 08/10/4 at 15:54:16

This year, one of the goals of the Black Bear rally was to produce a manual that would be a how-to guide for organizing a rally.  It may take some time before the manual is finished, but I can make sure you get a copy once it is complete if you like.

WWW   IP Logged
robin

5 right - sh*t, I
mean 3 right ...
over crest!

Reply #6 - 08/11/4 at 19:42:16

xchox wrote on 08/10/4 at 09:58:55:
Ok, well I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario! And this city of mine is an EXCELLENT city to hold a rally! The problem is no one is willing to commit or do anything to actually have a Rally!

There are tons of people willing to help but no one willing to lead!

So my question is this, is anyone here able to like hold a rally race In or around Thunder Bay???

Thunder Bay is an excellent city period.  Lived there for 8 yrs during my childhood (Dad used to take us to freeze our butts off at the ice races - Kentucky Fried Rabbit anyone?) and I work 'up there' and beyond from time to time - usually back in the woods, where you-would-not-believe some of the roads.

Orillia to T-Bay is a bit much for me to help with organizing - but I would make the trip to compete for sure.  I'm guessing you'd get some interest from a few of the Minnesota, Wisconsin and Upper Peninsula 'Mericans.

Your best bet might be to hook up with one of the forest products companies - who's in the mill now?  Bowater?

Robin

IP Logged
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 08/11/4 at 20:56:20

Ya Bowwater owns it! Do you remember Lakeshore drive??? I think from Current River to Pass Lake along that road would be a good little race.

Ya that booklet would be a big help!

Thanks everyone!

But ya a guide to starting a rally scene booklet or website would be awesome!

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 08/12/4 at 10:01:50

So anyways I made this really small figure 8 course in down town in this small business park!

I figured put some baricades up, there is only one building there! And there is tons of places for spectators to watch and perhaps get some enthusiasm built up.

I figured it would be a very little start! Since the track i drew up is really really small! But I want to start with something I can control and keep an eye on things.

But no, one of the moderators on DMMR warned me not to post anything about it cause it wouldnt be a sanctioned event! But the thing is, i wanted to get city approval!

I suppose i have to get it b4 i post on dmmr, anyways How would I get approval for such an event??? In your cities, who do you approach? Is it like Parks? Maintence? or go straight to the mayor? Like what part of the city?

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #9 - 08/12/4 at 12:28:08

I can't help you with the details (we have sanctioned clubs so it's not an issue), but one huge thing you would need is insurance coverage!!!!!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #10 - 08/12/4 at 23:15:53

It sounds as though you've got the enthusiasm and initiative to get something going.  You've even got a club which is more then what we have in Northeastern Ont.   Your type of effort is definately worth supporting.

I would caution though to ensure you have support of your local club then city before proceeding.  Otherwise, even if it's a success, they powers that be may ensure a second event (or incident as they will refer to it) won't take place again.

Back in the sixties there were many "sports car clubs" and rally clubs across the entire province including my prefered residence of North Bay.  Accoring to to a former NBASC exec member it was the lawsuit culture which began in the late 70s that in part contributed to the former club's demise.  He himself resigned over fears of getting sued if someting ever went wrong.  All this to say - Play by the book - find out how a club becomes sanctioned and gets proper insurance etc... follow the setup, rules and regs as outlined by an official sanctioning body (RSO,CARS,FIA etc...) for the type of event you are planning.  A willing mentor from RSO may be useful in setting up a new club or sanctioning an existing one.

I myself am only slightly knowlegable in these matters but it seems to me your idea of a short course would be a perfect beginning.  Setting it up accoring to Rallycross regulations would definately be easier for new competitors (as cages are not required).  Logistically  it may be more feasible as well (easier to score, smaller volunteer base needed).  

I admire your initiative - I wish we had the ingredients here in Nbay you had to even think about setting something up.  

Good Luck.

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #11 - 08/13/4 at 15:22:51

Sounds more like an autocross/solo II, but that's a good start, anyway.

You need:
Event Insurance (join/become an ASN /FIA affiliated club, through either CASC-OR, or RSO/CARS, the latter preferred if you want to encourage rallying).
Permission of landowner
Rules
Some mentoring, perhaps, for safety, organisation, etc.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - 08/13/4 at 16:10:23

xchox,

Coming soon is the Ojibwe Forest ProRally, which is part of the SCCA rally championship in the USA.  I think it is probably one of the closest top-tier rallies to Thunder Bay.

http://www.ojibweforestrally.com/

It would be a fun weekend at a great rally.

WWW   IP Logged
scofa
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

alberta
Reply #13 - 08/13/4 at 19:56:31

i would have to agree with you that thunder bay has some really nice roads. i have never lived there but it was like a second home for me. i have lots of friends there (mostly finns). driving around in the back roads they are very similar looking to finland.  a rally there would be awesome. a friend of mine competed in a TSD there i believe.  

-kris

IP Logged
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 09/05/4 at 15:58:00

Im in europe right now! Nice rally action here on the Azores! But cant do much till I get back! Thanks for the support! When i get back ill make sure to get some more help from you guys! Thanks!

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print