Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Driving impressions of AWD cars (Read 11196 times)
rallyguy
YaBB Newbies

Driving impressions of AWD cars
08/11/4 at 12:56:52

As many of you might know - I campaigned an Isuzu Impulse RS in regional and winter rallying for several years. After a season off, and having sold that car - I'm itching to get something AWD and do some winter rallying again.

The question becomes...

What car do I get?

I'd like a "winter beater" class vehicle, although I "could" be tempted to spend more.

I NEED AWD, been driving that config for too long to go back. The Isuzu was a tight and tossable package (with rally suspension) that had more that decent scoot (165HP+)

I'm not terribly picky. Cars I'm tempeted by include: Celica All Trac Turbos (ST185's), Talons (But are they pigs?), Suby 2.5 RS's, 323 GTX's etc.

From those who driven these types of cars in anger - can you offer suggestions and driving impressions?

Thanks in advance.

RK

If it ain't broke, you're not going fast enough.
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: Driving impressions of AWD cars
Reply #1 - 08/11/4 at 17:08:36

Being on my second older Legacy now,  this one turbo and 5-speed, I can say that the car handles really nicely (well, not at the moment, the original stock struts just went at 220K). Most bits made for the GC8 chassis Impreza fit the 90-94 Legacies as well, so I've got plenty of aftermarket bits available. I just wish the car was lighter (3100lbs, an RS can shave about 250lbs off that at least).

I hope to see you out there again soon Robinson, you were quick in that Isuzu.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 08/11/4 at 17:41:54

I bought a 2001 2.5RS last Dec. and am so impressed with the car.  It handles very well stock with understeer at turn in but that can usually be compensated by a jab on the throttle to even it up.  The engine is quite impressive as well.  The motor pulls strong everywhere in the revs and also just feels tough.  In fact the whole car has a very solid feel that I have grown quickly to love.  If you want a car that is newer and relatively easy to get parts for then I would highly recommend the RS.  I made sure to get a 01 or 00 to get the rear LSD as well.

Other cars mentioned like the alltrac and GTX would be very neat cars but the parts are ludicrously expensive for them.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 08/12/4 at 10:10:15

???323 ???
If your considering a 323 you had might as well consider a Subaru Justy Tongue

Anyways I own a 92 Eagle Talon TSi AWD and its not a pig, The only thing is you have to run premium!

My car handles tighter then a nuns  8) 8) 8) 8)!
lol

But you sacrifice due to the cost of repairs on the vehicle! If you are considering getting a talon, what kinda price range are you looking at cause ive been thinking of selling mine!

www.cardomain.com/id/xchox
PS excuse the rambles of junk pics on there! I have to clean it up still!

I have a 4G64 DOHC TURBO under the hood though...
The 4G63 might guzzle more gas! Im not sure...

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #4 - 08/12/4 at 12:24:18

John_Vanos wrote on 08/11/4 at 17:41:54:
I bought a 2001 2.5RS last Dec. and am so impressed with the car.

I have an '01 2.5RS as well and really like it. It's also very practical for driving here in the country, particularly in winter. I used to have an E36 BMW but my husband (who had a '98 2.5RS) not only got tired of hauling me out (it always got stuck in the snow!), he convinced me to sell it and join the "RS" club. I'm so glad I did!! We even campaigned his RS at Targa last year, once we converted it to a caged beast. I am hooked on Subies!!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #5 - 08/12/4 at 21:52:25

Robinson,

Forget AWD. The perfect cars for doing winter rallies are mid to late 80's Tercels.  Smiley

Second choice is Suzuki GT.

You want something light so that's it easier to push out of snow drifts. Smiley

IP Logged
rallyguy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 08/12/4 at 22:43:57

Well - I'd like to think that my finishing record suggects that I (we) don't go INTO the snow banks too often. Although - of course it DOES happen.

I don't think I could ever go back to 2WD for rallying. The Porsche is a total handful in the dry compared to the rally car. IN the snow it's not even useful to compare.

RK

IP Logged
ErikO
YaBB Newbies

Dork.

Reply #7 - 08/15/4 at 10:06:08

xchox,

the 323 GTX Robinson was referring to was the awd, turbo version offered in 1988-9. An awesome little car, but none left around here. Except for Bellefleur's, of course. I saw a few georgeous ones in Australia though.

As for your decision Robinson, I'd go with the 2.5RS. they are an awesome drive, and parts are easy to find and cheap. I'd personally stay away from older turbo cars (sorry Ryan...) since the turbos will likely be shot after a few hundred thousand kays, and they can be pricey to replace. Plus, for the winter events, power isn't what you necessarily need.....

Or opt for an old Volvo wagon, they seem to be competitive in the right hands.  Grin

My $0.02

Erik

IP Logged
Nuwan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #8 - 08/15/4 at 11:10:59

Sticktly speaking from a geographic perspective, there isn't any other AWD car that you can find parts/spares for as easy as a suby, not referring to performance parts alone but replacements for damaged/broken parts. If we were in europe this would be a different story as they get a better variety to choose from.

If you have the funds the 2.5RS is a great handling package with 165hp/torque stock and as John mentioned the '00/'01 models come with a VLSD in the rear.

I'd have to disagree with ErikO however, the stock legacys turbo rarely has issues and there are numerous examples with 300,000km+ and no boost issues. I'm running between 13-15psi (stock=8.7) with 200,000+kms... if for any reason it does fail, you can drop in a WRX turbo with minor mods which will only cost a couple hundred dollars used. And there are tons of spare parts for these cars at the wreckers Wink  Only the '91 models came with the LSD

Nuwan D
1992 Legacy Turbo
"understeer is when the driver is scared, oversteer is when the passengers are scared"
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #9 - 08/15/4 at 15:15:34

Yup, if my turbo were to go, I'd just have an excuse to drop in a VF34  Grin

Paul's legacy has almost 400K on it now, no problems.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
darryl

Reply #10 - 08/16/4 at 11:14:23

Wow, everyone has gone Subaru crazy.

I have to say a few points for the Mitsu Talon.

When it comes to costs and parts availability you can't beat the first generation Talon. Streetable cars range from $1000-3000.
Used parts are cheap and very available. Heck I just recently bought a running 91 FWD Turbo car for 50 bucks! Try making a find like that for your 2.5RS.

As for performance and handling, it's debatable either way.
I can't argue with the Subaru track record but....
Janusz Komorowski finished 7th at this years Rocky Mountain Rally in a P4 1991 Talon. Not bad for a 13year old car.

I guess I'm a little biased because I own a Talon and have never driven a Subaru.  Who knows, maybe if I drove a Subaru I'd be hooked.

Cheers,
Darryl

Check out http://www.ca.dsm.org/ for more info on the Talon.

IP Logged
xchox
YaBB Newbies

Skoda is still the
best!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 09/05/4 at 15:59:54

I never knew 323s Shockedcame in all wheel drive! HA i gotta get me a GTX for the winter! Smiley

Skoda is still the best!
WWW   IP Logged
Tashko_Sarakinov
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 09/28/4 at 11:47:47

I drive a '91 Talon that now has 311k on it Grin
I replaced the original turbo @ 280k after running 14psi (stock is 11) since I bought it back in '97 w/107k.  There is nothing wrong with the reliability that you wouldn't expect on any 13 year old car.
I plan to rally a '91 Talon (god, when will I get the $$$ saved to do it!?!).
As Darryl said, parts are plentiful. I picked up an entire rear end for $150 because I wanted the LSD. Now I have struts, rotors, calipers, etc. to sell off!

I've started doing Solo2 with it this year and it handles quite well on tarmac. I've done the winter rallies with it and it's always been a hoot to drive.  It's a car that you get attached to also, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it!

If I wasn't soo Talon biased, the choice would be between a Talon and the 2.5. I could never go back to 2wd again either.

I wouldn't go with a 323 just because parts will be harder to come by and cost more.

Good luck!

IP Logged
rallyguy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 09/28/4 at 13:57:59

The leaning now is towards a Celica All Trac Turbo. The 2nd Gen version - aka - ST185.

Anyone have experience with this car??

Thanks,

RK

IP Logged
darryl

Reply #14 - 09/28/4 at 14:36:43

Nice cars.

Only one in the auto trader today..
1990 TOYOTA CELICA GT-4
Turbo, AWD, only 2 female owners, low low kms, fully loaded, must sell. 160,000 km. $7,500.or best offer.

Not very common.

I know your not into them so I'm not going bring it up again........... Talon Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print