Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
WTB: 2m band mobile radio (Read 21184 times)
nhibbert

WTB: 2m band mobile radio
08/21/4 at 17:06:45

Anyone looking to get rid of a 2m band mobile radio. I just got my licence (through the RSO course) and I'm hoping to find a good radio at a good price to get started on.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: WTB: 2m band mobile radio
Reply #1 - 08/21/4 at 19:43:14

hehehe.... anyone got 2 - 2m band mobile radios that they want to part with?   Roll Eyes   Grin

I also just got my licence.  (of course, norm already knew that.... teehehe... congrats to us!)

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #2 - 08/22/4 at 07:43:20

Ha ha!  Grin Beat you too it.

John + Pete, do you want to add your names to the list?

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 08/23/4 at 03:34:01

sure do!!!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #4 - 08/23/4 at 09:28:16

You can add my name to the list too!

I am either taking a course here locally or writing the test on my own.

The trip to take the course was just too far!

Dave Cotie

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #5 - 08/23/4 at 10:29:55

If we don't get any response from sellers, maybe we can get a group buy rate for new radios.  

I was at Radioworld on the weekend and they were recommending the ICOMM V8000 http://www.radioworld.ca/ham/icom/icommob.php#v8000 - 75 watts, $289 (same price at Durham Radio). This includes everything but the antenna.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #6 - 08/23/4 at 14:57:27

I would like to look at a magnetic antenna. I don't plan on having this in the car all the time.

Will this work with one of these?

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #7 - 08/23/4 at 15:57:06

Yes. The magnetic antenna Radio World was trying to sell me along with the IC V8000 was just under $100, I think. So the total package would be about $450 tax included at full retail price. I'll call them and Durham Radio sometime when I get a chance to see if they are open to group discount rates.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #8 - 08/23/4 at 16:19:32

I've got a Larsen MMR-NMO mag mount antenna, and love it. It's only ever come off once, and that was with a branch low enough that it hit the antenna about a foot up from the bottom. Hits repeaters beautifully too, I've been told I'm one of the clearest radios on the air at rallies.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #9 - 08/23/4 at 16:29:37

Hmmm... the Icom v8000 looks nice, but i'm such a ***** when it comes to nifty features... cross band repeat, remote display mounting, etc etc...  (uhhh... if we go icom, i'd love an IC-2720H)

I'm gonna be going to the Barrie hamfest on september 11 ( http://www.bconnex.net/~barc/hamfest.htm  )

I'd definitely wait until then before I bought a radio... never know, you could with a door prize!  

Anyone else going to the barrie hamfest?  It's the same weekend as the Barrie Automotive Flea Market, and the two are located very close together (seperated by like 1 concession if I recall).... i'm planning on hitting up the automotive fleamarket after hamfest (assuming i still have money!)

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #10 - 08/28/4 at 10:56:12

Ryan Huber has sold me on the pluses of geting a dual band, 2m/440 in order to crossband repeat.  Basically, if and when you get a handheld you can transmit of 440 to your radio and use your mobile to repeat onto the 2m frequency, thus saving batteries on you hand held and extending you transmitting range greatly...What do you guys think?

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #11 - 08/28/4 at 13:11:35

That sounds like it might be a good feature down the road, but NEW dual bands start in the $400 range + antenna. Right now I'm looking for something cheaper.

The thing that's selling me on the V8000 is the 75w, which could be the difference between making contact from the end of a stage or not. Most other inexpensive mobiles, including dual bands, are in the 50 to 65w range.

We need to find a 75w+ dual band for under $300.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #12 - 08/28/4 at 22:56:43

Ya, I would really prefer to pick up a dual band radio too.... but I also realize that they are very pricey.

I wonder if radioworld or durham radio would do a group buy where if we all bought the same brand, we get a deal.
Basically a bunch of us make up an order... maybe 4 or 5 radios and antennas, and they give us some sort of discount... say a certain % off whatever each person orders... so then norm can get his v8000, and i can get a fancy dual band model.

just a thought.

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #13 - 10/24/4 at 22:01:09

Any progress on this?

I just finished the second RSO Radio course this year and have earned my license!

I understand there is a Hamfest at the Markham fairgrounds next weekend, but I can't get there.  Sad

DC
Edit: Soon to be VA3 COT (if that goes through!)

« Last Edit: 10/25/4 at 14:17:53 by Dave Cotie »  

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #14 - 10/26/4 at 10:29:53

There dosen't seem to be a lot of good used equipment available. No responses here and no luck at the Hamfests I went to. I think most of the last class just bit the bullet and got new. No group buy was arranged as we all seemed to want different things. I ended up with the Icomm V8000, which is probably overkill as far as power, but it was about the same price as many weaker 2m radios. It was under $300 (plus $100 for a Larsen magnetic mount antenna). www.eham.net has reviews of all the makes and models.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print