Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New here, where do I start? I want to rally! (Read 26301 times)
Chris_Steed
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New here, where do I start? I want to rally!
08/23/4 at 20:04:26

Hello

I'm new here!

I live in Hamilton, Ontario
I'm in the process of buying a car that I will be able to setup for this sport, and I'm not 100% sure where to begin.

First off, I d/l what seems to be a rulebook, but id love to get one in paper form!
What are the best places to go for information?
Where should I start? who can I talk to!

I just want to race!

Please go easy on me!

Chris Steed

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Re: New here, where do I start? I want to rally!
Reply #1 - 08/23/4 at 20:29:39

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #2 - 08/24/4 at 07:39:45

Come out to a few navigational rallys and mini-rallys and meet people. You can do this with any street legal car. Once you understand the basic rules etc. you can try more advanced 'navigational' rallys like the Subaru Winter Rally and the Snowy Safari. Then if you want to go further put a roll cage in and enter performance rallys.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Chris_Steed
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 08/26/4 at 20:30:45

Thanks for the info guys!

My goal is to get to performance rallys, the car I'm putting together will have a roll cage. One of the main things I'd like to know though is how do I make sure my car is up to spec? Is it SCCA spec, FIA spec? I'm unsure!
I see what the WRC cars are built like, but are the rules setup like that here?

Will I be able to race all accross canada?
and is there any money in amature racing? Not that I'm in it for that, This is my life! but havn't been able to find a cost effective way to enter this world until now *sort of*

Is there anywhere else I should go? or will going to meetings and meeting people and seeing cars do it for me?

I'm only 24, is that too young?

Thanks for the time and patients!

Chris

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #4 - 08/27/4 at 04:38:08

Rule number one, get a rulebook.

http://www.carsrally.ca

office@carsrally.ca

Once you have that, read it, multiple times, and then read it again. Once you've done that, go to some rallies and look at what other people have done, up close. Once you've done that, talk to a scrutineer, and discuss your specific plans. They can point out any potential problems you may have.

Oh yeah, and if you want a taste without having to have a cage, etc, come on out to the next rallycross and have a little fun.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #5 - 08/27/4 at 07:45:26

Also, volunteer to be a marshal at a performance rally. It's a great way to get to know people and get behind the scenes. Galway-Cavendish is coming up (October 2), and the big one ' Tall Pines' is in November. No experience necessary.

As for making money someone once said: The only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big fortune. (Sorry I do not know how said that originally)

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 08/27/4 at 13:43:22

Hi Chris,

Chris_Steed wrote on 08/26/4 at 20:30:45:
My goal is to get to performance rallys, the car I'm putting together will have a roll cage. One of the main things I'd like to know though is how do I make sure my car is up to spec? Is it SCCA spec, FIA spec? I'm unsure!
I see what the WRC cars are built like, but are the rules setup like that here?

Like Ryan said, get a CARS rulebook from Linda and memorize it.  FIA cages are legal but there are a bunch of hoops you have to jump through in order to get your cage FIA approved.  Best to start with a CARS cage.

Quote:
Will I be able to race all accross canada?

Yes.  A car with a CARS logbook is legal across the country.  You can also run in US events but I don't think you can score points in the USA in a car with a CARS logbook (not 100% sure about this).

Quote:
and is there any money in amature racing? Not that I'm in it for that, This is my life! but havn't been able to find a cost effective way to enter this world until now *sort of*

No money to be made, but if you want a cost-effective way to get into it, check out our rallycross series.

http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross

Quote:
Is there anywhere else I should go? or will going to meetings and meeting people and seeing cars do it for me?

Any rally experience - even if it's just going to a club meeting and shooting the breeze with the veterans - is great experience and usually entertaining.  Road rallying, like our club mini rally series, will teach you timing and instructions, so it is valuable experience even if your ultimate goal is stage rallying.  Rallycross can give you a taste of performance rallying on a budget.  All-night drivexes like the Ontario Winter Rally send you on a real rally adventure.

Quote:
I'm only 24, is that too young?

I was 18 when I ran my first performance rally.  You're never too young, or too old!

WWW   IP Logged
Chris_Steed
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 08/28/4 at 17:08:23

Okay

well I'll start by getting a rule book.

Thanks for all the info, it's good stuff!
Sorry if I sound ignorant, It's strange how you think you know about something until you try to do it!
I've been a race fan since my eyes opened 24 years ago! and I used to race karts. Then for a while I did some drag racing, but I have the taste of racing coming back, and my Girlfriend told me I should do what will make me happy.

I've always wanted a Lancia Stratos, unfortunatly, I'm not rich so buying a real one, is out of the question, but I have spied a replica car manufacturer in the UK that sells them, now this will be a task bringing it over here, but, one thing I wanted to know, before I even get a rule book is, are cars based off originals allowed to compete under the rules? The chassis is the same as a stratos as it was copied and the body is also the same as it was copied.

anyone who can shed some light on that would be great!

Thansk guys!

Chris

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #8 - 09/01/4 at 17:21:08

Please volunteer at rallies, of any type.  

This is good, cheap, useful use of your time.  Not only will you learn a lot of competition and safety rules, which you need to know as a competitor, you will meet a lot of people that know a lot more than you, and that's a good thing.  You will see a lot of 'incidents' and their aftermath.  These are things you might want to see from the outside so that you can avoid those things (as much as possible) when you are a competitor.  You will learn what different people do to build their car.  You will learn what car/class is competitive, and what it not.  You will learn TONS of stuff, and this is not even to mention the social aspects of the sport.  

Don't be fooled that road rally is stage rally's poor cousin.  Talk a bout quality and cheap seat time, this is it.  Try a few winter events, or my gravel Lanark Highlands and have your eyes opened.  In fact, they're hardly suitable for beginners.

Some people just like to show up, pay the entry fees, and rally, rarely contribute anything towards marshalling, you see them once a year, and it's really the wrong attitude in my view.

So, I'm just saying this stuff because it's great to be keen, it's exciting you want to join in, with so much enthusiasm, we need more of it, but there's a whole other side to being a well rounded rallyist than driving/co-driving.  So, when the car isn't ready for an event, marshal it.  When your navigator gets the flu, and you're stuck, marshal.

Now that the volunteering rant/sermon is over....

The direction of money flow in motorsports is strictly UNIDIRECTIONAL, from your wallet!

Join a club, asap!

Do any driver ed you can find.  Including tarmac solo-type stuff.

Participate Participate Participate in every thing you can in any capacity.

umm, that's it, yeah.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
deramg
YaBB Newbies

MB FOREVER!

Reply #9 - 09/20/4 at 23:50:27

Hi all, I am just like Chris, but i already have a car, a 1990 4 door Corolla that has automatic tranny.

The replies on this thread almost cleared all the clouds in my brain  Wink

But i still have one or two questions that needs your help with.

1. Me and my cousin is a big friend of WRC, so we would really like to get out there and really do some rallying. my cousin will be my navigator, but does he has to be licensed from Canadian Rally of Association as well as me(the driver)? ??? and MLRC?

2. Other than mini rallies, any runs in OPRC and ORRC requires rollcage right? how much they cost and where can i install them? i have no problem putting a cage in my almost 15 year old $400 Corolla  Grin

3. Last but not least, should i join the MLRC and CarsRally.ca at the last month of Decemeber? because i don't know how they charge... if they charge each year or starting the day i paid  Tongue

I hope you, the "big guys" can help me out abit... i can't makes tomorrows meet, but i'll be there next time with my cousin and do i just show up with my car and things suggested to bring to the next minirally? that simple?  Roll Eyes
i can't wait  Cheesy

what class will this baby goes into? stock... automatic... or does it even have a chance hahaha

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - 09/21/4 at 11:08:22

You need a club membership in order to get a CARS licence, and both the driver and co-driver must hold CARS licences.  Joining MLRC will fulfill the club membership requirement.

ORRC events do not require roll cages, and I would advise against installing a roll cage in a street car because of the risk of your head hitting the cage.  Roll cages, however, are required in all performance rallies, including the OPRC.  Your car would either be in P2 or P3 depending on the engine size.  The automatic tranny, however, will put you at a big disadvantage.  Before starting work on building a rally car, though, you might want to have a look at prebuilt cars that are out there.  It will likely save you money in the long run if you buy a used car.

If you build your own car, do NOT skimp on the roll cage.  It only gets one chance to save your life.  One of the more popular shops is Four Star Motorsports at http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com

Our club memberships and CARS licences all run from January to December so it would be sensible to join in January.  Club membership forms for 2005 will be available in December (or maybe even November).

All you need for the mini rally is a calculator, some pens, a watch, and a clipboard.

Welcome aboard!

WWW   IP Logged
deramg
YaBB Newbies

MB FOREVER!

Reply #11 - 09/21/4 at 11:13:02

thanks alan  Cheesy
i am much more clear about the game now.
maybe i shouldn't think of a rollcage too fast, i should decide building a real  rally car after finish mini-rallys and ORRC Smiley

as per what classes my car should goes into, does each class of rallycar has some kind of modification rules? because the lowest class i've seen is P2 right, but their cars can heavily modified...  Shocked

any inputs are appreciate,
thanks
Carl

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #12 - 09/21/4 at 11:50:00

I would say just go road rallying for year (cheap/fun), volunteer at performance events and help out other performance rally teams, and see if you're still really into it after that.  You'll pick up a lot of info in that first year, for little to no cost (compared to preparing a real rally car).

I only say this because as a local rally director, Ottawa, I have seen MANY very excited people say to me "I really want to go rallying, I have a three year plan, etc etc".  I say, "that's fantastic, gee you really have a good plan, welcome to rallying."  So, next thing they do one road rally, do poorly, and you never see them again.  Even if you call them up, and offer to help them out and see where they went wrong.  So, sometimes the REAL committment just isn't there.  If only they were more patient, and learned from their road rally experience that to get good at rallying takes some time, and a REAL committment.  Not saying you're not committed, but there is no magic bullet entry into rallying (unless you're rich).

Good luck. Hope to see you out there somewhere.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
deramg
YaBB Newbies

MB FOREVER!

Reply #13 - 09/21/4 at 16:11:17

thanks for your words, i understand every sport out there have such kind of wonderer too  8)
i'll try volunteer the pine rally or the ORRC rallies and try the last mini rally and see  Wink

is there any rally school out there? and do they cost a fortune?

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - 09/21/4 at 19:44:41

Craig's advice is spot-on.  Try some minis and road rallies and get yourself a CARS rulebook before starting to build a performance rally car.  This will give you an idea of what is involved - it's a substantial time and dollar investment.

One option would be to try our next rallycross event.  This will give you a taste of rally driving.

http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross

Every spring there is a road rally school organised by RallySport Ontario.  It usually runs over three consecutive Mondays and will teach you all you need to know about road rallying.  Very useful even if your ultimate goal is stage rallying.  Keep an eye on http://www.rallysport.on.ca as we get closer to March.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print