HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Richard Burns Rally (Read 6800 times)
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Richard Burns Rally
10/11/4 at 10:17:05

Has anybody tried this PC game? I've downloaded the demo (can't find it in Canadian Retail stores yet), and it seems way more realistic & enjoyable then Collin McRae Rally (even the '05 version).
Funny how the pretty graphics make me subconciously believe the game is realistic - until the steering wheel really starts shaking in a better game... Tongue

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Re: Richard Burns Rally
Reply #1 - 10/11/4 at 10:51:44

I downloaded both richard burns and CMR5 and both didnt work.  they gave me errors which sounded like graphics card errorrs.  I thought I hade a good graphics card...

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
RallyBrat
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 10/11/4 at 11:21:14

You have to have a card that supports pixel shading (so no G4 MX's)

Thanks,
Alex

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 10/11/4 at 11:27:29

*sigh* thats what I have!  $*#$($%**
i have a geforce mx4 something or other....how much does a graphics card go for that supports piixel shading?

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #4 - 10/11/4 at 12:48:07

You can get them for $120-$150 or thereabouts. I have an ATI 9600 Pro, cost me $170 in May, works fine with both games (this year I decided to go "Upper Middle Class" on my components, instead of going Bleeding Edge... seems to make more sense in the long run).

I *think* 9200 series (for $99) supports shader, but it's only directX 8.1, so may not work with games few months from now.

Also, don't forget to download DirectX 9c from Microsoft:
www.microsoft.com/directx
You'll need it for at least one of those games.

I haven't noticed any difference between CMR4 and 5. After Richard Burns, both seem "floaty" - more of a hovercraft ride then a rally. I wonder if RBR is 4-point sim and CMR 1-point?

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #5 - 10/22/4 at 12:21:24

Any luck installing it yet? Smiley

You can find [url="http://www.pccanada.com/inventory.asp?cat=videocards"]a bunch of cards under $150[/url] that will do the trick:). The Saphire 9550 for $85 will probably work just fine:)

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #6 - 10/24/4 at 10:16:36

Wowzie... my Navigator & I played it for about 4 hours last night (finally got a hold of full version - takes a while to ship from Europe:)). As he said - "Who needs the actual game, the rally school is awesome enough!" :>

Nothing will ever be as realistic as the real thing of course, but some of those exercises are tough, and with a well-tuned force-feedback wheel, it's about as close as you want to get to slamming into tree at 90kph  - whopsie Roll Eyes
We still haven't completed the final rally-school exercise (complete a stage in under 84 seconds... we can't seem to get it under 89)!

« Last Edit: 10/24/4 at 11:18:25 by Nikola »  

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Alex Korovkine
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 10/24/4 at 17:26:59

Hmmmm....wait for something appear in a store?
I would say, install your own "store" called P2P and you will get a stuff just a couple week later than release.
Wink

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #8 - 10/24/4 at 18:47:48

I'm stuck on the final school excercise as well.
It's nearly impossible using just a keyboard...

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #9 - 10/24/4 at 20:00:36

I need a video card! My Geforce 3 Ti200 just isn't cutting it! Even at minimum rez and low quality, it still chugs at times. Demo is fun though, I may have to get the game if I get a new GPU.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #10 - 10/24/4 at 23:27:37

- hey, in the general spirit of rule-following inherent in the road-rallies, I wasn't (loudly;)) suggesting P2P/bit-torrent/kazaa/DVD-R sollutions;).

But yeah, it'll probably never appear in stores on this side of the pond... :-|

- ouchiewauva... playing this game with keyboard -- I feel for you Sad. I just got a steering wheel few months back, and it's just superb - with a game that supports force feedback well, you can feel the amount of grip you have at any one time, and what the car is trying to do. Plus of course, the whole analog vs. digital issue - I've previously found that even playing with a joystick is better then keyboard, as you can actually dictate how much throttle/turn to apply.
I do have a friend that drives real cars digitally though - he's either turning all out, or going straight. The anti-thesis of smooth on highways  Roll Eyes

- Ryan - decent video card can be had for fairly cheap these days. See some of the links for the ATI cards, nVidia ones should be roughly the same price for pixel-shader support.

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print