Send Topic Print
Total Beginner (Read 5783 times)
Mungrin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Total Beginner
10/12/4 at 14:23:46

well here i am i just got my g2 as of about june... ive been interested in rallying for years and years, bought an rx-7 fixed it up and am now selling it to look for a rallying car. my personal thoughts are to buy a 92 VW golf, since i already have a parts car for it and they are decent to rally with and cheap to maintain. I plan on going to the tall pines rally, but to volunteer and get to know much more about the sport. I also hear there is an annual rally school or something? i read it off the forums... any help with anything to help me get on my feet would be much appreciated. and sorry about the eye sore

Mungrin
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Re: Total Beginner
Reply #1 - 10/12/4 at 14:30:25

Heya Mungrin:)

Looks like you're all set, and with way more info then I had when I first became interested:). Volunteering is a great way to get involved, and Tall Pines Rally is sure to be educational.

There are still a few Navigational (or Road / TSD) rallies left this year I believe, which are also quite a bit of fun, and certainly challenging enough for a new driver & navigator (assuming you haven't practiced things with your G2 that you weren't supposed to Wink). MLRC Mini-rallies are over, but over on www.rallysport.on.ca you can find a list of upcoming regional road rallies, including one on October 30th and one on November 13th.

In terms of performance rallying, there is the RallyCross event this weekend in Bancroft. It'll be my own first performance experience, so assuming I don't break anything, it sounds like a great intro to the excitement of the sport. Not sure if G2 license is an issue though...

And of course, in terms of getting into rallying seriously, be aware of the cost & insurance issues. However, if you're as mechanically adept as you sound, it'll probably be easier (I'm still learning how to change the tire without lifting the wrong end of the car first... Wink)

At any rate, Cheers & Welcome Smiley

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Mungrin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 10/12/4 at 14:36:14

wo wo wo.... performance rally in bancroft... this weekend? am i allowed to volunteer there or watch? i have 2 questions... how much and igve it to me =)

Mungrin
  IP Logged
Nuwan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #3 - 10/12/4 at 14:47:36

more info on this weekends event  here: http://www.mlrc.ca/rallycross/

There is an intro to navigational rally school held every year but I believe it's held in spring/summer

Nuwan D
1992 Legacy Turbo
"understeer is when the driver is scared, oversteer is when the passengers are scared"
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #4 - 10/12/4 at 15:36:31

I think the organizers would very much appreciate volunteering assistance!Smiley As well, if the G2 etc aren't a problem, you can probably participate as well (though it looks like it might rain. More fun? Smiley)

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Mungrin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 10/12/4 at 21:03:53

well im not looking to participate... ill be drving down in my honda hatch 4th gen that has about 230km on it so i cant push it really... unless sum1 wouldnt mind me sittin beside em as the go for sum fun =)

Mungrin
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #6 - 10/12/4 at 21:19:08

I said in antoher thread and I will say it again, anybody is welcome to ride with me!  Look for the silver RS beside the big green F150 and we'll go for a ride

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #7 - 10/13/4 at 08:32:27

Nikola wrote on 10/12/4 at 14:30:25:
There are still a few Navigational (or Road / TSD) rallies left this year MLRC Mini-rallies are over, but over on www.rallysport.on.ca you can find a list of upcoming regional road rallies, including one on October 30th and one on November 13th.

Please note: The Lanark Highlands Rally on October 30 is not for beginners. As an overnight rally on challenging roads, it is aimed at experienced teams. Daytime rallies are a far better choice for the new team. And, as always, volunteering at an event will teach you about the basics and put you in touch with people who can offers lots of advice/opinions . . . whether you want to hear them or not.  Wink

If you get to the rallycross this weekend, you'll see some good driving and have fun, even if you're just watching the action and bumming rides.

Good luck!

Jean MacGillivray
Registrar, 2004 Lanark Highlands Rally

P.S. Zweistein, were you working Bravo at Black Bear?

IP Logged
Mungrin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 10/13/4 at 08:32:30

alright sweet stuff... sounds like a plan. Does anyone know of any actual rallying schools somewhere in ontario? I saw a nice one in england but its about 5000 for 2 days, and i can get a whole buncha stuff for my golf for that knda money

Mungrin
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #9 - 10/13/4 at 09:19:52

Hi Jeannie

I was working Start/Finish line and fighting mosquitos with you, yup:). I think it was Bravo (Alpha was right by the road). Good times that day, I'll try to come down & volunteer for Tall Pines as well, but my work schedule is too unpredictable to know anything in advance... :|

Cheers

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print