Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Typical 2m rally frequencies? (Read 4907 times)
dtompsett

Ontario
Typical 2m rally frequencies?
11/13/4 at 11:41:03

I just picked up my first radio, and a Larson NMO mag-mount antenna.

The antenna needs to be cut to provide the best length for the commonly used frequencies.  Since I will most often be using this radio with rallying, i'm wondering what are the most typical frequencies used at events?

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Re: Typical 2m rally frequencies?
Reply #1 - 11/13/4 at 12:27:31

I beleive I cut mine to 146mhz length, that is mostly in the middle of typical frequencies

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #2 - 11/13/4 at 12:45:16

ok... thanks john

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #3 - 11/13/4 at 18:15:06

The antenna needs to be cut??
oh!oh?  
Is this the case for all 2m magmount antennas?  What about if it's a dual band?
I think I've got some more reading to do.

WWW   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/14/4 at 00:19:05

With a dual bander you may not have to cut it, it'd likely depend on the antenna model, etc. It'd be in the instructions. As for cutting it, remember, we don't operate under 144.500 as that's mainly for data. We tend to be mostly between there and 147.500, and remember, the most used simplex frequency in Ontario rally is 146.580. That said, if you cut it for the middle of the band, it'll work just fine within the band, just be less efficient at the far extremes. Now, if the antenna was going to be used exclusively for packet or something along those lines, then of course you'd tune it for around 144.250.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #5 - 11/14/4 at 14:30:31

it's been cut for 146.000 (remove an inch).... if I find i get poor Rx and Tx, I may cut a little more and take it to 147.000

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #6 - 11/14/4 at 16:59:50

I cut an inch off my Larsen, as per the sales guys advice, and it works great.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #7 - 11/14/4 at 18:09:10

The way to really do this PROPERLY is to find somebody with a SWR (standing wave ratio) meter.  You want a SWR near 1 for max efficiency I believe.  

As for the frequencies, it's all 2m band, and the band is THAT wide (4 in 146, 2% avg. relative bandwidth), and all the frequencies are listed in the 'band plan' in your Basic Guide, as well as online.  Keep that handy, otherwise you may pick a simplex frequency some day and find you're stomping all over somebodies data packets, amateur satellite, or whatever.  

I'm no radio guru, but try not to restrict your use to rally on 2 or 3 days of the year, and other times not know what you're doing, p-ing off knowlegable users.  It's even annoying at rallies like Tall Pines, where there's so MANY radios out there, it can take only a few people to really mess things up sometimes.  Just a bit-o-friendly advice to be careful with the new toy.

Bring the radio manual with you, too!  You might find a version of it online.  Download it, and print it off.  Keep the original one in your files.  I still use my manual occasionally out in the field.

What's your call Doug?

Craig

ps - of course, you know by Murphy's Law this means I'll be the guy out there sitting on the PTT now!

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #8 - 11/14/4 at 21:03:17

Hey craig... i'm definitely planning on bring my manual with me to pines!

My call is ve3tdn

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print