Send Topic Print
Why no drinking? (Read 5581 times)
spectator
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Why no drinking?
11/22/4 at 13:40:52

I know this is not a liscenced event, but do the police have any authority to stop drinking?  It is not in a public place, is it illegal to go drinking in the forest any other day?  I don't see anything wrong with having a couple beers while watching the rally, the only problem I can see is some drunk idiot trying to run out infront of a car.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Re: Why no drinking?
Reply #1 - 11/22/4 at 13:59:45

I believe that legally it is NOT your right to drink alcohol outside of your own residence. It is a privilege granted to you by whoever owns/controls the land you're on. Drinking may be allowed on some government-owned lands, like parks and camp grounds, at the discretion of who ever manages the land (e.g. the park warden), and in other cases the police may look the other way if you're not causing any trouble. But, at an event like Tall Pines the safety of the public is paramount, so drinking is frowned upon. It's not a party. It's a motorsports event.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #2 - 11/22/4 at 15:12:33

Not sure of the legalities; but from crowd-control stand point, how do we know you're not that idiot who'll get drunk and run in front of the cars?  Wink
honestly, some folks were getting suicidal even without alcohol. I've seen a guy holding a 3-5 year old kid, standing in the middle of the semi-hot road arguing with a safety marshall about where he wants to spectate from. Another bunch of about dozen youngsters (still older then me, you understand... but youngsters nonetheless;)) came in 3 pickup trucks and started looking for fight with parking control marshalls right off the bat.

From a legal stand point, weren't the roads closed by order of Ministry of Natural Resources? I know we've had a letter giving us the authority to regulate traffic. So it might be academic - we might not have the right to stop you from drinking, but might have the right to deny you entry?

Dunno... either way, it's all about controlling the variables. It gets chaotic enough without impaired people, and while I understand the wish to simply have a good time, personally I found there was enough action to occupy my thoughts and not need additional chemicals to enhance the fun Smiley

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #3 - 11/22/4 at 18:14:46

That's also why there is a police presence, to be called upon when needed. No need to give out any "Darwin Awards"  Tongue  -- if people want to drink, they can wait till it comes out on TV and drink then at their home.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/22/4 at 19:13:59

This may be completely wrong but I have always been under the impression that in Ontario it is, in fact, illegal to drink alcohol anywhere other then controlled locations that have alcohol licenses, ie bars, restaurants, or venues at which an event license was obtained by the appropriate government department. Oh, and by default you can drink in your own home.

As an example when you go into the stands at the Molson Indy your bags get searched for alcohol. I believe that's because that event does NOT get an event liquor license. There are places in the world where this doesn't apply, notably Quebec. If you've ever been to the F1 Grand Prix the grounds are littered by empty beer bottles that people bring in coolers. I have witnessed many brawls at the grand prix in Montreal and every one I witnessed involved morons with too much alcohol inside them who cannot behave like adults in public.

In your original question you state that you didn't think the rally was held in a public place. I believe that's wrong. Event though the roads were temporarily closed to traffic, it is still considered a public place. And in answer to your other question, I believe it is illegal to drink in the forest any other day. But it might be a good idea for you to check at a local OPP station the next time you drive by one.

In theory I understand your point that it is not drinking that is the problem, but rather it is drunk people doing stupid things that are the problem. I can't really argue against that statement. It is true enough, but at the same time it is completely beside the point. When you allow drinking, or look the other way, at such an event, if a person does something stupid and gets themselves maimed or killed, the event organizer may be in part blamed for the incident because they did not take enough precautions to prevent drinking. They automatically bear some responsibility for crowd safety simply by the fact that they attracted the crowd by putting on the event. The bottom line is, if I were the organizer, I would do everything I can to stop people from drinking because the risk is way too great if I don't.

I was on the Pines Organizing committee for about ten years and the reason that we started to hire OPP officers was BECAUSE of all the drinking. We had brawls, people driving their vehicles onto closed stage roads, threats to marshals, pretty repulsive public behaviour that really annoyed most of the other people watching. If, in order to prevent that, I have to stop a reasonable person (like you) from enjoying a beer or two, I will do so every time.

The alternative is that we don't try to control anything. If we did that, eventually, it's GUARANTEED that someone will get hurt. Either they will get run over, or someone will get injured  in a fight or who knows what. As soon as that happens, the public authorities cancel our permission to hold the rally. Just like that.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #5 - 11/22/4 at 20:06:34

One other thing to mention, a lot of the people there spectating drove there. It would not be right for us as organizers to allow people to get drunk and then drive themselves home.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #6 - 11/22/4 at 21:05:24

Also, if you have ever been involved in the 'day after' clean up, you will know exactly why drinking is not a good idea.  Although this is a far cry from the fact that it's illegal and unsafe.

andrew

Andrew Harvey Photography
www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #7 - 11/22/4 at 22:50:43

If people were intelligent and reasonable about drinking, most people would not have a problem with it. However, that is not the case.

- I ran into a few guys that were so drunk at 12:30 in the afternoon they could barely stand. By the time Castledine's happens at night they are just ignorant boors.

- Most drunk people treat the volunteers like crap.

- I have seen drunk people walk across a hot stage 3 years ago at Pines between two cars that were only 12 sec. apart. The second car almost hit the guy.

- Like Andrew said - come out and help on the clean up crew and get a taste for how drunk people are pigs and disrespect the land, both public and private.

- Reasonable drinking, not in open beer bottles or cans would probably be tolerated.

All the events were held in public places, so yes the OPP have the authority to stop the drinking.

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #8 - 11/23/4 at 10:40:58

Robert Roaldi wrote on 11/22/4 at 19:13:59:
I was on the Pines Organizing committee for about ten years and the reason that we started to hire OPP officers was BECAUSE of all the drinking. We had brawls, people driving their vehicles onto closed stage roads, threats to marshals, pretty repulsive public behaviour that really annoyed most of the other people watching.

That's really Cry  I didn't know the 'Pines had come to that.

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #9 - 11/24/4 at 12:15:06

Quote:
That's really   I didn't know the 'Pines had come to that.

The incidents were isolated and I didn't mean to make it sound like they were everyday occurrences but they did occur often enough that they had to be dealt with. Stop into any OPP station or talk to any police officer and they'll tell you that whenever a crowd gathers, there WILL be people who show up who cause trouble for everyone else. There seems to be no escape from this.

And I want to re-affirm something else that was written by another poster. Cleaning up after the event, especially spectator areas, is a real eye-opener. Volunteer to do it sometime. The event has, when budgets permitted, paid petrol expenses for people to drive the route either the day after the rally or a subsequent weekend in order to pick up debris left behind by partying humans.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print