Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Subaru Withdrawl - Effect on Winter TSD rallies? (Read 3124 times)
dtompsett

Ontario
Subaru Withdrawl - Effect on Winter TSD rallies?
11/23/4 at 13:58:29

I've only been involved in rallying for a few years now.  My first experience driving was the Ontario Winter Rally 2 years ago.  I'm not sure about 2 years ago, but I know that both Snowy Safari Rally and Ontario Winter Rally have been sponsered by Subaru for atleast the past year.  

With the withdrawl of sponsorship in the Performance Rally series, Subaru made the comment that they "...will definitely be there with a contingency programme for all the Subarus currently competing....".  

Now, as a title sponsor for performance events, Subaru expects a certain amount of exposure, and a return on that investment.  What outcome, if any, does Subaru hope from the sponsorship of the winter rally series?  A sponsor like that can definitely see that their investment in such a series is benefiting them... just look at the entry list!  Heck, if I could afford it, i'd buy a Subaru.

Now, if Yokohama offered vouchers to all competitors entered in a TSD event, i bet people would buy more tires  (but... the current $20 off for a set of ice tires just isn't enough for my budget).

Any ideas/opinions on what will be the outcome on these events?  Higher registration fees?

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Re: Subaru Withdrawl - Effect on Winter TSD rallie
Reply #1 - 11/23/4 at 15:27:41

I imagine the contingency programme will apply only to performance rallying because that is what draws the crowds, but hopefully there will be something for the TSDs as well.

Subaru's departure from rallying will be a huge blow whose impact will ripple through all levels of the sport.  They sponsored events from the very top right down to the entry-level.  They have done a lot for our club and our events, and we are very grateful for their support.

The Ontario Winter Rally will run on its scheduled date in 2005.  Whether Subaru will be back as title sponsor is still uncertain.  I think we can keep entry fees at current levels without title sponsorship but that is undecided as well.

WWW   IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/23/4 at 20:42:35

The PMSC Subaru Snowy Safari Rally will be running Jan 29th with Subaru support. We entered into a two year agreement with Subaru for 2004 and 2005.

We had discussions about billing just a few days ago and expect no problems.

2006 is still along way off

Pete g PMSC

Pete G
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #3 - 11/23/4 at 22:22:44

From talking with my friends since I got my car, it seems even folks who aren't either motorsports or car enthusiasts associate Subaru with rallying (and safety). I'm hence surprised that they would withdraw their team as well - to have no presence on the rally scene might make it harder to maintain their "rally-inspired" credibility...

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/25/4 at 00:36:38

gully wrote on 11/23/4 at 20:42:35:
The PMSC Subaru Snowy Safari Rally will be running Jan 29th with Subaru support. We entered into a two year agreement with Subaru for 2004 and 2005.

We had discussions about billing just a few days ago and expect no problems.

2006 is still along way off

Pete g PMSC

Well, that's some good news anyways.  I'm glad to hear that!
I like that choice of date too.  The weekend before Neige will be the perfect time to try out my new rally car before putting it to the ultimate test!

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print