Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Performance Rally Newby (Read 3538 times)
Sorin
YaBB Newbies

Gotta love
performance rally

Ontario, Canada
Performance Rally Newby
11/29/4 at 23:49:24

hey guys,

My name is Sorin and I am interested in participating in performance rallys. I live in Windsor, Ontario.

I know that I would need a 6 point roll cage, 5 point seat harness, racing suit and harness, but are they required at all levels of performance rally?

I plan on racing either a first gen dodge neon or a hyundai accent gsi. I don't plan on winning and rallyes but rather driving as fast as I feel comfortable and the goal would be to finish a couple of rallies before i start going faster and maybe moving up to a faster car. I chose those 2 cars because they're pretty cheap, reliable and easy to find spare parts for.

I would love to get any feedback regarding the basic requirements to get started in rallying, my car choices or any info helped you guys as beginners in rallying.

Thanks!!

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Re: Performance Rally Newby
Reply #1 - 11/30/4 at 00:56:50

Best choice on a starter budget is to buy someone elses car... all the problems have usually been sorted out, and all the unforseen costs in car prep have been taken care of.

All levels of performance rallying require basically the same stuff... i'm no expert on the rules, but your best bet is to pick up a CARS rule book.

Your intentions are good.... learning to drive fast is much more important than winning.   Driving fast means your driving your own rally.... taking it at your own pace, where as winning means your constantly racing someone elses race... pushing to beat someone who may just be driving fast.

Don't forget that you and your co-driver both need a performance license... not too hard to get, but you need first aid, medical exam, and some $

IP Logged
Alex Korovkine
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 11/30/4 at 08:44:03

I would suggest do not build your first performance car.
It's better (for you) to buy prepared car.
If you want you can check Four Star Racing, they just have the one Suzuki Swift for sell.
http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com/CatalogData/Home_35.htm

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 11/30/4 at 09:03:00

Hi Sorin,

Welcome to the sport!

All the major safety items are required for regional and national performance rallies.  It's expensive to start out with your own car, but there are ways to get involved without breaking the bank.  You might also want to consider Volkswagens.  There are a bunch of them competing in Ontario, so there are parts and experienced VW competitors out there.

One option you might want to consider is our club's rallycross series.  You don't need any special safety equipment other than a helmet and you can run any car you like as long as it's in decent mechanical condition.  We haven't finalized our 2005 rallycross plans yet, and the locations might be a bit of a long haul from Windsor, but even attending one would be very good experience.  You can get a taste of rally driving and meet some other rally people.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions.

Alan

WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #4 - 11/30/4 at 15:06:34

If you want to know what rallying is all about, there's no better way to begin than by working a few events. Get out there, meet some other rally freaks and realize how much there is to learn! This knowledge will reduce your stress level when you do start to performance rally and reduce the chances of your navie making newbie timing errors.

Also, the rallycrosses are good events, as are TSD rallies. MCO is planning its winter driving schools again, if you can get to Ottawa for one of those. They're well worth the effort!

Good luck --
Jeannie

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 11/30/4 at 20:28:11

While a different kettle of fish in many ways, it bears repeating (and i do): road rally!!  Do a load of them, of varying difficulty.  You will learn a lot of general knowledge, and meet a lot of the people that go to or compete in performance rallies (or have competed).  It is the CHEAPest way into the sport, and a lot of CHEAP seat time.  Do the winter events, and see how you do.  Get the trust and communication sorted out in road rally with your navigator/co-driver before you need to committ to a stage event.  The winter road rallies, they're, ummm, 'not easy' drives in the snow. . . .  it may change some of your perceptions about road rallying.
Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print