HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
T'is the season... (Read 23167 times)
Ferdinand

Re: T'is the season...
Reply #15 - 12/26/4 at 19:02:58

Quote:
This would not have happened if these drivers were ice race drivers.

So Crusher, how 'bout you come on out and show us rally drivers how it's done?

As an ice racer myself, I can honestly say that winter rallying ain't easy.  Sure the car control theories are similar.  However, the big difference in rallying is that there's a vertical dimension to play with as well.

Ice racing tracks on lakes or fairgrounds tend to freeze flat, and you get to practice the course beforehand so you know what comes after every corner.  But the roller coaster roads used for winter rallies tend to have curves in combination with sudden elevation changes that you cannot see over.  Every corner you come to you think to yourself darn I could have done that one faster.  But you only need to find ONE where you say oh-oh too fast...

Our incident with Bryn at Snowy Safari last year scared me a bit because up to that point I thought we weren't taking any silly chances.  Everything was under control when we came over a crest into a long steep downhill ending in a tight right.  I was looking well ahead down the hill when it freaked me out completely to spot Bryn running already halfway up the hill waving a triangle.  That distracted me enough that I didn't spot, until too late, his car stuck in the snowbank at the bottom of the hill.  I might have been able to miss his car, but then again maybe not.  Rather than risk a collision I stuck my car into the snowbank too.

We both planted our triangles at the top of the hill and got to work digging out our cars.  Bryn freed his car first and was coming back up the hill to tow us out when Ryan arrived on the scene.  We sent Bryn on his way and Ryan quickly yanked me out.  I think Harald and Steve came by too just as I was unhooking the tow rope.

No harm done to any cars.  Bryn was 7.9 minutes late at the next checkpoint [A8], we were 7.0 late, and Ryan 1.3 late (sorry and thanks Ryan).

Can hardly wait for more!!!

WWW   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #16 - 12/26/4 at 23:10:52

Road conditions at last year's Subaru Ontario Winter Rally were evil.  There was something like 20cm of fresh snow that day.  In the bottom of the deep tracks left from cars ahead of us, the road surface was pure ice.  But if we strayed a bit out of the ruts our tires would 'hydroplane' on the deep snow, losing all contact with the road surface.  It was really difficult to get a feel for any grip.

The animated GIF image above was made from this short video clip: darnWipers.mpg ~10MB.

We had some traction issues going steeply uphill toward the crest of this hill.  I was trying hard to limit wheel spin as it really throws off our odometer quickly if I get too happy on the throttle.  Then the bottom dropped out coming over the crest.

As the car momentarily went light, the deep snow started dragging the front end toward the left snowbank and I nearly lost it there.  I had to make a big steering correction to pull it back straight.  In the process I inadvertently flipped the wiper stalk causing the windshield wipers to shriek across the dry windshield.  That sudden unexpected noise just about made me jump out of my skin!

You can see from the video that we're not going all that fast.  I don't think we were keeping up with the CAS at this point.  But I'm fighting the steering all the way as the car gets pulled left and right by the deep snow.  And in the left curve at the end of the video clip, where Christoph calls the next instruction "Stop T-Right",  I had to back way off because the corner is wickedly off-camber and I get another fright as my car suddenly understeers badly.  I really HATE understeer!

I'm sure it's possible to do this section much faster.  I just wasn't comfortable pushing any harder than this.  You can see, from the photos posted by Ryan, that some people evidently pushed too hard...

WWW   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #17 - 12/26/4 at 23:30:58

Yeah, a few people pushed too hard, and then had a lot of hard pushing! John had issues with OWR last year as well, icu in the ruts and floaty out of them.

A couple of those corners look like they could have benefited from a little flick entry, would have cured your understeer problem  Grin

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #18 - 12/27/4 at 02:04:46

Wicked - thanks for the vid! If you (or anybody else) have any other/longer vids from previous events, us newbies who have no clue what to expect would really appreciate it!  Cheesy

I can create a temporary account on my webspace for FTP uploads, if you don't have room... Smiley

... gee I wish Ian started his winter school already ! Lips Sealed

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #19 - 12/27/4 at 03:07:31

Hmmm..... how to describe what you can expect..... take that video clip, add some varying types of turns, a straight stretch or two, and perhaps a stop sign..... and you've got yourself a winter rally!

Basically, if you've driven on snowy backroads at night, then you already know what to expect.... just figure that you are driving at a steady pace, you don't know the road, and there is always the possibility of oncoming traffic..... be it locals, snowmobiles, or a confused rally team.

I'm gonna see about video after the holidays.... apparently my roomie/navvie has found the connection cable for his video camera.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #20 - 12/27/4 at 09:31:47

Ferdinand wrote on 12/26/4 at 23:10:52:
Road conditions at last year's Subaru Ontario Winter Rally were evil.  There was something like 20cm of fresh snow that day.  In the bottom of the deep tracks left from cars ahead of us, the road surface was pure ice.  But if we strayed a bit out of the ruts our tires would 'hydroplane' on the deep snow, losing all contact with the road surface.  It was really difficult to get a feel for any grip.

I'm sure it's possible to do this section much faster.  I just wasn't comfortable pushing any harder than this.  You can see, from the photos posted by Ryan, that some people evidently pushed too hard...  

I wasn't pushing too hard.  My problem was that I wasn't pushing hard enough!
What happened to me last year, I believe it was right at the very end of Old Hastings (perhaps Alex can correct me on that).  There was a very tall crest, the downslope was very steep with a slight left, and followed by a long straight.  Just as we crested the hill I could see a checkpoint at the end of the straight.  
As we went down the hill, I decided we were going a bit too fast, so I just let off a bit on the gas.  Apparently it was just enough to transfer the weight of the car foreward, and cause the back end to slide out just a little bit.  We were fine going down the hill, but as soon a we reached the bottom, the rear wheels touched the deeper snow outside of the ruts and got sucked into it.  This put the car into a massive oversteer (which normally wouldn't be a problem, except that we were in a straightaway now, NOT a corner).  So I countersteered, and got the car pointing straight again, but there was too much pendulum effect.  The back wheels slid right through the ruts in the middle, and hit the deep snow on the other side of the road.  So now we had a huge oversteer in the other direction, but with much more force this time.  That was when I realize we were boned.  There was no way to correct this.  Our only hope was if I could keep the car fishtailing long enough, until it scrubbed off enough speed that I could control it again.  But, we were not lucky that day.  The next time the car came around, it went right around, I couldn't stop it.  And that's how we ended up in the ditch at last year's OWR.
It all started because I lifted the gas pedal about 1cm, while on a downhill with a slight left.

If I had to do it again, obviously I wouldn't make the same mistake of lifting on a downhill.  But even so, as long as the road is rutted like that, there's always a chance the same situation may arise.  So if that happens to me again I wouldn't try to correct the car in a normal way.  Because that didn't work.  I think the best route would be to hit the brakes hard, and try to lock all four wheels at the inital oversteer, when the wheels first move outside of the ruts.  At that point, there is not enough sideway movement for us to end up in the ditch.  So we would probably just spin or slide to a stop, and then continue on our way.  That's bad for our average speed, but at least we stay out of the banks.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #21 - 12/27/4 at 10:56:51

thanks dtompsett - still, a video is worth a prorated 24,000 words (based on 24 pictures/second @ 1000 words/picture;)).
It helps me see what kinds of speeds are actually expected, as well as how normal people handle it (as opposed to watching McRae do the Rally of Finland last night, which basically caused me to quietly swear every 9-10 seconds... still the Impreza DVD was a nice gift in my Xmas stocking:)).

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #22 - 12/27/4 at 11:24:12

The first, and most important thing when driving these events, is to drive within your own comfort zone.  Don't ever drive faster than you feel comfortable.  Even if that's slower than the given CAS speed.  Arriving late, is better than not at all.

Second, is to drive based on what you can see (or can't see).  If you're coming up to a crest or a corner, and do not know what is on the other side, then be cautious.  There could be an unexpected turn, oncoming traffic, a checkpoint, a stuck competitor, local wildlife.  You never know what might be there.  So I always drive with caution whenever I don't know what could be in front of me.  I always make sure that when I come over a crest, or around a corner, that I am ready and able to swerve and avoid whatever unexpected things which may be in store for me.

"McRae-style" driving is out of the question, and should be reserved only for performance rallies on closed roads.  Those guys are driving at the limit of traction at all times, plus they have notes telling them what is coming up, so they are driving far beyond what they can see.  So if anything is coming up on the road that they are not aware of, they are royally screwed.  Just watch the footage of 2003 Rally Sweeden.  When Harri Rovanpera was flying through a stage, and came across (I think it was) Roman Kresta, stuck right in the middle of the road.  And there was absolutely nothing Harri could do to avoid the impact.  The road wasn't wide enough to go around.  There were spectators everywhere, so he couldn't ditch it.  All he could do was slam on the brakes, make a stupid face, and wait for the bang!

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Schwabe
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - 12/27/4 at 11:36:02

Quote:
It helps me see what kinds of speeds are actually expected,...
Not really, video is very misleading. I have about 1 hour of incar video of the 2004 SOWR and it's the most boring thing to watch. Due to "tunnelvision" and the fact that you can't feel anything. it really doesn't do justice to the real thing. I remember a few times thinking "oh sh**" but on video it looks like you're rolling along slowly.

Quote:
Road conditions at last year's Subaru Ontario Winter Rally were evil.

I thought they were awesome. The only other rally with better road conditions was Snowy Safari with heavy snowfall before, during and after the rally. Fresh snow all the way...
A rally with really bad road conditions was the 2003 Frostbite rally: no snowbanks and alternating gravel and ice.

Anyway, can't wait to go again...  Grin

Erik

« Last Edit: 12/27/4 at 12:24:23 by Schwabe »  
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #24 - 12/27/4 at 12:21:02

He's right.... video is misleading.  It might have helped if we had shown more of the car when we shot ours, but I remember watching it after the event and thinking "wow, we weren't going very fast"..... even though I have a clip where my navvie makes a comment on how fast i'm going down a straight stretch.

The first event I drove in was Ontario Winter Rally back in 2003, and my dad was the navvie.  I had heard that we would be running south wollaston lake road, and since that is a road I normally drive in the summer, I thought I'd do a run up it in the winter.  At one point along the road, my dad actually commented that "you know doug, you're not even in the rally yet, you don't have to push so hard".  I was driving like I normally would have on a road like that.

The best advide that I could pass along to a new team is: make sure you understand how to do the timing calculations (but if things go to hell, don't worry about the timing, just drive your own rally).  Also, if you can invest in some good lights, then make sure you've got them.  If you've got good lights, make sure they are aligned properly.  The alignment you would use on highways is not the same alignment you would use on a twisty backroad.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #25 - 12/27/4 at 12:38:39

Yeah, I use a bit of a wonky alignment for mine, but find it works really well. Four driving lights, evenly spread so that there's just a hint of gap between them. I aim the cornering lights high, so they light the trees and mostly shine above the snowbanks. My stock highbeams are junk, so I aim them really low to give light right in front of the car. One of the centre lights is aimed straight out, and one aimed high. I find this works well for lighting the trees (so you can anticipate the next curve over the next crest), and only has a couple drawbacks. One is that they're not spread wide enough for the tightest corners, but a little bit of oversteer fixes that, and the other is that they don't reach far enough down the road for the really fast bits, but I don't tend to go all THAT fast anyways!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #26 - 12/27/4 at 12:54:41

Quote:
The best advise that I could pass along to a new team is: make sure you understand how to do the timing calculations

Mmhm, that's very much the least of our worries! Smiley
Never in the past season were we lost in terms of calculations - we always knew exactly how late we are!  Grin

I would think the best advice to (snow) newbies, and certainly my primary worry as indicated, is staying the heck out of snow banks. Cheesy I do have basic aux lights installed, not sure if I'll be allowed to use them though as with the newfangled electric system it's proving very difficult to wire them to the high-beam switch Sad

As for video, I have enough of my own video footage to be able to compensate for perceptions. I know how slow the Lanark video looks compared to real drive (I stopped showing it to my very unimpressed friends;))
But, by comparing how fast your video of snow rallies looks to my video of Lanark, I can quite easily deduce how freaked out I should be (if it looks the same... not good!) Grin
So, I'm still looking for footage, especially Ferdinand's, as he has the steering wheel & everything in the picture:)

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #27 - 12/27/4 at 19:04:19

Quote:
... my primary worry as indicated, is staying the heck out of snow banks.

That should always be your first objective.  It sucks to get stuck somewhere.  With that in mind, you should NOT try to maintain CAS through every corner and over every blind crest.  Go fast on the straight sections where you can see far enough ahead to make up for the slow sections where you're being cautious.  You'll live longer that way.  If you don't find enough straight sections to keep your average up, tough.  Taking unnecessary risks will inevitably lead to grief.

Although I thought the night was one long white-knuckle adventure, I was left with hours of utterly boring video from last year's SOWR.  Somewhere in there is a record of three incidents of snow bank surfing that we were lucky to get away with.  One of them makes me blush with embarrassment whenever I see it again.

We were just truckin' along, doing fine, when I got slightly out of the deep rut, caught some deeper snow and was pulled wide.  On the video it looks like I just went straight where I should have turned left.  Luckily I got the car a bit sideways at the last moment so it slapped up against the bank instead of punching in nose first.

I'll see if I can find it for you guys, but it'll have to wait a couple of weeks because I'm down in Florida at the moment.  The weather might be a bit warmer here, but while you guys are getting in good practice I'm stuck with dead boring dry flat roads here (not counting all the suicidal retirees weaving all over the roads here).

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #28 - 12/28/4 at 12:01:23

The main "rules" in order of preference:
Stay ON the road. (otherwise you WILL be late)
Stay on the correct road. (otherwise you WILL be late)
Stay on time. (the LAST of your concerns)

On a winter rally, once you've dropped a minute, to heck with the timing, drive to your own personal limit/comfort-level.  Because now all you want is to find a checkpoint ASAP, before you lose more time.  You do not need to calculate anything once you are late enough that you can't make it up.  So, just drive your buns off and pray for a checkpoint, and enjoy the ride.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #29 - 12/28/4 at 13:38:07

are there late allowances for novices a la Lanark, or clean timing?

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print