Send Topic Print
T'is the season... (Read 23140 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
T'is the season...
12/18/4 at 20:23:27

For winter rallies!

Sorry, I'm just starting to get pumped about the winter rally scene, just trying to decide if I'm going to do Snowy (I already decided long ago to drive OWR!)

So, anybody else have any inspiration pics? (these are courtesy Roger Sanderson, closing car last year)

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Re: T'is the season...
Reply #1 - 12/19/4 at 00:40:43

Hey! There's my little red Paseo!  Boy do I miss that car...

Oh well.  I've got a new Paseo now.  One that I'm far less emotionally attached to.  Which means I'm REALLY going to abuse the poor thing!  Grin

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #2 - 12/19/4 at 00:46:38

Yeah, so I hear  Grin

I look forward to it man!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 12/19/4 at 02:31:55

Oh man... I wish patrick could find the video of us going into the snowbank at snowy safari last year....  Into snowbank.... dig out using crappy plastic shovel and a hatchet (icy snowbank), get pulled by 2 different cars..

Few km later.... sharp downhill right..... the snowbank was littered with marks from cars that had hit it!..... And we added our own to it!   Ended up getting pulled out down the hill backwards by 2 guys rallying in a rwd truck.... thank goodness i'd left the ebrake on, cause neither patrick or I were in the car when they started pulling it backwards down the hill... i'm just watching it slide thinking  "oh shoot... those guys are gonna be pissed when we rearend them!"

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #4 - 12/19/4 at 11:08:05

From OWR last year, I remember coming over a crest and seeing headlights coming towards us, thinking "uh oh, this can't be good!" Whe we got there, it was Bryn coming up the hill, to turn around so he could try to pull Ferdinand out. Bryn had stuffed and Ferd was the next car on the scene, before Bryn had his triangle out. Ferd had to make the decision of stuffing or risking hitting Bryn, so needless to say there were two cars in the bank! Once they got Bryn out, that was just as I arrived. I just passed Bryn, pulled up behind Ferd, hooked my tow strap on which was already on the tow ring, pulled Ferd out, and kept on going!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #5 - 12/19/4 at 14:38:31

... I thought you guys were trying to get *more* people involved with Rally Sports...  Shocked

Man, seeing these pics and hearing the stories makes me wonder if I'd be better off just running away and pretending I never heard of SOWRC  Lips Sealed

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #6 - 12/19/4 at 16:42:51

You have to realize, that the risk you take on these rallies is yours to take. If you're not comfortable going for the speeds, don't. Slow down, take it easy, and have fun driving your rally. That's what it comes down to.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #7 - 12/20/4 at 16:15:34

RyanHuber wrote on 12/19/4 at 16:42:51:
You have to realize, that the risk you take on these rallies is yours to take. If you're not comfortable going for the speeds, don't. Slow down, take it easy, and have fun driving your rally. That's what it comes down to.

I second that!  but on a little side note.... I kind of like having someone either infront of me or behind me (i'm either behind/ahead on time, or they're behind/ahead on time).... gives a little more incentive to really get a feel for what the car can do.  I ended up with Ryan H. behind me at lanark, and it gave me the incentive to push a little more, and learn the car faster.

But again.... don't expect to push without suffering the consequences... i've stuffed into a few banks now.... but nothing that we didn't lose more than several minutes dealing with.

Bring a decent shovel!

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #8 - 12/20/4 at 16:26:26

RyanHuber wrote on 12/19/4 at 00:46:38:
Yeah, so I hear  Grin

I look forward to it man!

Yup.  I'm busy preparing the car even at this very moment.  I've finished gutting out the interior and scraping all the junk off the floor.  I'm in the process of wiring up the Hella's and the Terratrip.  *Hopefully* (fingers crossed) the cage will be installed over the christmas break.  I can install the new suspension in about 2 hours all by myself.  We've got 4 Yokohama IG10's, 4 Hakka 10's, and 2 Michelin Arctic Alpin's.  So everything is looking good to go for Perce-Neige (and Snowy Safari too).  The whole plan is dependant on the cage being installed soon enough to get a logbook in time for Perce-Neige.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #9 - 12/20/4 at 16:29:49

dtompsett wrote on 12/20/4 at 16:15:34:
Bring a decent shovel!

I second that!  Crappy little plastic shovel's will only take up valuable trunk space.

« Last Edit: 12/20/4 at 20:30:06 by Wedge1 »  

IP Logged
Steve_McKelvie
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 12/20/4 at 19:13:10

Last year at the Ontario Winter Rally, Frank de Kaat suggested to Harald von Langsdorff and myself that we should have packed a hoe as it is a good tool to get snow out from under the car.

Steve McKelvie

IP Logged
Crusher45
YaBB Newbies

Ontario
Reply #11 - 12/20/4 at 22:25:45

This would not have happened if these drivers were ice race drivers.

Roll Eyes

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
VP BARC-OR

You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" #49 Ken Schrader NWC

"...and yes, Yugo's can jump the bridge!"
WWW   IP Logged
Do_It_Sidewayz

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 12/21/4 at 01:58:04

that's right dave Wink

hopefully i'll be running snowy as a "shakedown" of the rally car before Perce.

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #13 - 12/21/4 at 08:05:51

Chris that sounds very much like someone elses plan who shall remain nameless but may or may not be typing this   Wink

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #14 - 12/21/4 at 09:38:26

Sounds as though some new performance-rally teams are coming on stream for 2005! Perce-Neige will be a little more interesting this year . . .  

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print