HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2005 Season (Read 8004 times)
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

2005 Season
12/19/4 at 14:27:10

I was wondering if somebody could give some details as to the 2005 ORRC rallies? I.e. which ones are drivex/navex, more fun/less fun, special/tricky instructions, etc? I'm trying to get more of a feel & history of these events Smiley

Also, I don't see Lanark on the list. Will it be held in 2005, and are there any other fun events like that not on the list?

Thanks!

January Jaunt
Ontario Winter Rally
Greenspond Go-Round
Spring Run-Off Rally
Blossom Rally
Discover Ontario Car Rally
Automapic
Brain Buster
Northern Lights Rally
President's Prize

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Re: 2005 Season
Reply #1 - 12/19/4 at 16:40:05

All the rallies on the ORRC calendar for this year are Navex rallies, except for Ontario Winter. Varying degrees of difficulty, with Automapic probably being at the top of the difficulty scale.

Lanark is going to run I would assume, but the organizer decided to run it as a club rally, not an ORRC. Same deal with the Snowy Safari.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 12/19/4 at 18:52:59

I'll have the full 2005 calendars up on the MLRC webpage later this week.

Also, we have an awesome new sponsor for the OWR.  Grin  Details to follow.

WWW   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #3 - 12/20/4 at 01:34:55

Thanks Alan:). I've seen the schedule itself on the RSO website, I'm just hoping to hear from "Old Timers" as to what individual rallies are like, as I understand they're not all quite the same Smiley

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #4 - 12/20/4 at 11:11:10

RyanHuber wrote on 12/19/4 at 16:40:05:
Lanark is going to run I would assume, but the organizer decided to run it as a club rally, not an ORRC. Same deal with the Snowy Safari.

Yes, Lanark Highlands will be held again in 2005. Craig H. had pretty much decided that by the next day, so look for the same old crew of organizers!  Wink

Jeannie

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #5 - 12/20/4 at 11:40:25

that is, as the saying goes, wickedly awesome Smiley

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #6 - 12/22/4 at 10:19:51

So - are Lanark, Snowy Safari and Ontario Winter challenge the only drivexes?

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 12/22/4 at 17:00:32

Yes.

WWW   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #8 - 12/23/4 at 14:02:37

I'm thinking that Lanark Highlands is the easiest of the three since it's run in late fall. I'm not familiar with the other two, but I've heard lots about the challenges of those roads in deep winter!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #9 - 12/24/4 at 00:08:37

well, it was a bit muddy & wet in parts, but yeah, I'm guessing Lanark was easier then the Winter ones will be. Here's hoping we can stay on the roads!  Cheesy

... 3.5 more weeks of practicing hard...  and silly East European Winter Tires finally went on my car today! Grin

(btw, I meant to ask are those three the only drivexes, period, including non-ORRC events, i.e. any other exciting events? -- I just realized it looks like I can't read and keep repeating same question... Wink)

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #10 - 12/28/4 at 11:43:54

Well, the run-off areas on the Lanark are more hazardous.  Many more magnet trees and ditches.  There are NO SNOW BANKS on the Lanark.  There are tons of deer.

The Lanark is the only gravel drivex.  It may be a little unfair to say one event is easyier than other.  What is great about rallying is that each event presents different challenges.  That being said, the Lanark will be more difficult in 2005.

I was a little dissappointed by the low turnout for the Lanark.  I actually had two less teams than in 2003, even though this was an ORRC, and as it turned out, the second last one (after Frostbite got pulled) but I put so much more effort into it.  Suffice it to say that if I don't get competitors support as an organiser, I feel less inclined to continue to put in that huge effort.

There has been some occasional background discussion about the drivexes and the ORRC.  I would like to see a separate drivex series in RSO.  That would offer navex challenges and drivex challanges (quite different) to different and some common competitor segments.  It may boost entries in the drivexes (like Lanark, at least).  I would envision OWR, SS, Lanark on a drivex series (and maybe SMCC could offer one in the Laurentians!).

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #11 - 12/28/4 at 13:36:27

Nikola wrote on 12/24/4 at 00:08:37:
(btw, I meant to ask are those three the only drivexes, period, including non-ORRC events, i.e. any other exciting events? -- I just realized it looks like I can't read and keep repeating same question... Wink)

Well, as far as I know, Snowy Safari and Lanark are the only non-ORRC drivex events definately running next year.  The only other one that I am aware of is the Ski Country Rally.  But I haven't heard anything about it, so I'm not sure if it will be running next year or not.  It's sort of half-drivex, half-navex.  There's a few sections which are tricky to maintain the CAS.  And the navigational instructions are quite simple.  So it's a very enjoyable event.  I would stay tuned to the R-O list.  If it's on for 05, it will definately be posted there.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #12 - 12/28/4 at 13:38:44

In the 'easier/more difficult' vein, I was talking about my own subjective feel -- I've had a decent amount of practice on gravel roads through the navexes during the summer, so Lanark, while challenging (we almost never made the CAS), did not fill my heart with fear as much;).  Whereas I've had no practice driving in snow, with this car, trying to go fast, for a long period of time at night, somewhere far in the country roads of Ontario...  Shocked

Oh, and you can count on me for the '05 Lanark - it's the only event my Navigator will commit to so far in advance -- we had an absolute blast last time!:->

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #13 - 12/28/4 at 13:52:33

C. Hamm wrote on 12/28/4 at 11:43:54:
There has been some occasional background discussion about the drivexes and the ORRC.  I would like to see a separate drivex series in RSO.  That would offer navex challenges and drivex challanges (quite different) to different and some common competitor segments.  It may boost entries in the drivexes (like Lanark, at least).  I would envision OWR, SS, Lanark on a drivex series (and maybe SMCC could offer one in the Laurentians!).

There used to be a separate drivex series.  The Yokohama/Subaru series.  Which was a joint effort between RSO, and RSQ.  I'm dissapointed actually.  I really wanted to try my hand at that when I first started out.  But I never got the chance because it was cancelled during the first year that I started rallying.  But I know just from looking a past years results, that there were always huge turnouts for those events.  Probably because they drew in competitors from two regions, instead of just one.  Since competitor turnouts are vital to a sucessful event.  I think marketing to both Ontario and Quebec is the key to something like that.
Much like what's happening for next year's OPRC, they are hoping to boost turnouts at all events by giving Quebec teams a chance to compete in the Ontario championship.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #14 - 12/28/4 at 17:41:43

That was strictly a winter series.   Lanark is not a winter event.  An RSO drivex series would be more rounded with an event like the Lanark included.

I got involved on the tail end of the yoko winter series.  It seemed like it was getting a little crazy, huge fields, lots of caged cars, people driving with helmets on, some teams were semi-officially blasklisted in Quebec, I think, because they were simply racing under the guise of a "road rally" and comparing their earliness.   Cars were ending up in rivers.  Police were showing up at the finish, unhappy.  It wasn't long after that it was over. I think maybe we were all pushing our luck.  Rallying is great fun, we all like the sort of extreme nature of it, but you have to realise that at least in road rally, there are more risks to the public etc, and you have to keep it all very sane!  I know I don't want to end up in court as an organiser.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print