Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
2005 Ontario Winter Rally (Read 38006 times)
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

2005 Ontario Winter Rally
01/07/5 at 13:33:55

ONTARIO WINTER RALLY NEWS - January 7/05

On-line registration for the 2005 OWR is up and running.  Just go to http://www.mlrc.ca/owr/index.html and follow the cues.

We are pleased to welcome our friends at Subaru Canada back as a sponsor of the event.  In addition we are excited to announce a brand new sponsor - Clear Water Design Canoes & Kayaks.  See details in the Supplementary Regulations of their great prizes.

For your convenience secure on-line payment by credit card is featured again this year. Almost all entrants used it last year.  When you complete the process,  you will receive confirmation that payment was successfully processed.  If you are paying by cheque,  please send it immediately in the mail.  Remember that your registration is not considered complete and you will not be assigned a Car # until we receive your payment.

Those of you who wish to request a Top 20 start position must do so by contacting Ross Wood at  ross.wood@sympatico.ca or by phoning 705-887-1130.  To qualify you must have finished in the top 10 overall of a previous Ontario Winter Rally,  any Yokohama/Subaru Winter Rally or by special consideration of the organizer.  Requests will be accepted beginning Saturday, January 8th at noon until January 25th at midnight.

Beyond the top 20,  Car # will be set in order of receipt.  Special exceptions may be made by the organizer.

The odometer check will be posted on-line in about ten days.

For further information about the event contact Ross Wood at owr.info@mlrc.ca.  To communicate with Kym McIntosh, our Registrar send your e mail to  owr.registrar@mlrc.ca

Looking forward to seeing you on February 19.

Ross Wood,  2005 OWR Coordinator

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Re: 2005 Ontario Winter Rally
Reply #1 - 01/13/5 at 17:30:13

Road rallying is so diverse in this country. If only more Subaru's were entered.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 01/13/5 at 19:15:42

At least Choiniere and ACP are breaking the trend.  Sort of.  For now.

WWW   IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #3 - 01/13/5 at 19:33:48

If only someone else would build a car as good as Subaru . . .

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #4 - 01/13/5 at 21:26:08

*cough*.... Quattro... *cough*....

Ok, I'm not sure about the newer Audi's, with their new electronic awd, but I love how the Quattro II system in my car handles.  I abuse the heck of of this thing, and it's got almost 300k km on it!   Now, to finish repairing the rear differential lock... should be done this weekend.  A Torsen center diff. is nice, but being able to lock the rear would be nice when it comes time to give someone a pull (or get unstuck Roll Eyes  ).

Quote:
If only someone else would build a car as good as Subaru . . .
  What is the most common failure in a subaru thats been beaten on.... transmission/drivetrain failures.  

With my Audi 90, people have taken their stock 130hp 10v (170hp in the 20v version), dropped in a turbo charged, intercooled, cammed 10v or 20v, and put 300-400hp at the wheels, with there yet to be a single drivetrain failure.   Now the automatics.... thats another story (improperly spec'd seal from the factory becomes brittle over time and leaks tranny fluid into the front diff..... not a good thing).

But I digress...... can't wait for this year's event....  gotta get my entry in soon.... there are already 33 entries on the list!

IP Logged
DaveP

Reply #5 - 01/13/5 at 22:02:27

dtompsett wrote on 01/13/5 at 21:26:08:
*cough*.... Quattro... *cough*....

Ok
  What is the most common failure in a subaru thats been beaten on.... transmission/drivetrain failures.  

Well, I owned a 1990 Legacy for 10 years, and put 440,000 Kms on it. I never rallied it, (I'm an old fart, and had quit by then,) but I put synthetic in the trans and rear diff at 6,000 Km, and it performed flawlessly ever since. The only problem was a crunching of the second gear synchros. And yes, I abused the hell out of that car. Best car I ever owned, and I bought my first car in 1968, (as soon as I turned 16).

Dave

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #6 - 01/13/5 at 22:19:51

Quote:
If only more Subaru's were entered.

It really is amazing, isn't it? Smiley  Of the 33 entries so far, 21 are Subarus.  Methinks this is clear evidence that the money Subaru invested in promoting rallying in Canada is paying off big dividends for the company.

Come on folks.  You know you don't actually HAVE to drive a Subaru to enter this event, eh.

Go BMW!

WWW   IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #7 - 01/14/5 at 00:34:48

It does look like there are a lot of subarus entered.  BUT, watch them all get whooped by an old volvo wagon.   The volvo I am navigating will also eat up some subarus for sure!

Andrew
www.andrewharvey.ca

Andrew Harvey Photography
www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #8 - 01/17/5 at 16:45:55

Well, looks like Louis C. is drivng the 85 Tercel that beat a zillion Subies in the 2001 Snowy Safari (when it was 600 km long).  So, he'll kick lots of a** out there.  Look out all you Petter wannabees.  I wanna be Louis!!

Also, the RWD MCO faction is a force to be reckoned with.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #9 - 01/24/5 at 14:30:59

Now, what did I say in that last posting?  FWD rocks! : )

Louis is the man!  With Brian Maxwell as a navvie, that is an ace crew.  

MCO Intermediate crews did pretty good at SS I hear, too.

Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #10 - 01/25/5 at 22:41:53

question: are passengers allowed for OWR? Pretty pretty please? Smiley

I have a friend who's really interested in checking rallying out; she would sign waivers and her soul away no problems - and on the million-to-one chance that we place in the top half, we'd gladly accept any judgement if somehow that's considered unfair advantage or aid (after all, it's another person digging us out;-)).
I'm not sure about the rules - I know passengers are allowed in RallyCrosses, but that's entirely different (even if more dangerous) event. They were also typically allowed in navexes as well (with the caveat that judgement is reserved should we place), so since it's the ORRC rules in OWR as well, maybe same applies?

Thanks

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #11 - 01/26/5 at 16:53:06

Given the fact that many navigators are seen sporting gravol patches, I can't even imagine having some poor soul in the back seat!  Tongue I don't know what the rules are, but I'd think that would put her off rallying for life.

Just my opinion, and nothin' more --
Jeannie

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #12 - 01/26/5 at 17:14:30

well, on one hand, she wouldn't have to spend the night with her head burried in the notes & calculator - so I doubt nausea would be an issue in the same way as it is for navigators (you never hear of drivers complaining;)).
Also, James, my navigator for the Snowy Safari, had NO problems whatsoever - with no gravol or ginger, and first time navigating. Pretty impressive, actually!  Cheesy
(Ivan, my regular navigator, had quite a bit more trouble at Lanark)

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - 01/26/5 at 17:15:22

No, passengers are not allowed.

In future, you will be better off posing questions to the organizers directly - you'll get an official answer faster.

WWW   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #14 - 01/27/5 at 08:21:45

oh great... now *I* have to break the news to her sad, puppy-face...   Cry

Tongue

We'll just have to wait for RallyCrosses & regular navexes then Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/27/5 at 10:45:59 by Nikola »  

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print