Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
2005 Ontario Winter Rally (Read 37999 times)
Dave Cady
YaBB Newbies

So many cats, so few
recipies.

Re: 2005 Ontario Winter Rally
Reply #45 - 02/23/5 at 09:30:07

Nice clips Ryan. Your navvy seems to like it when you get sideways. I loved the laughter.

Dave

IP Logged
Dave Cotie
God Member

North Bay, Ontario
Reply #46 - 02/23/5 at 11:15:04

The funny part is that Ryan's navvie is his mom!

My mom never seems to laugh when I get the car sideways, with her in it  ???

Dave Cotie
VA3 COT
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #47 - 02/23/5 at 11:25:39

Gotta remember, she used to co-drive performance rallies and drive road rallies back in the late 70s/early 80s. The quote I always get, from Perce Neige, Taisto asking "You got shovel?"  Grin

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Ken Nazeer

Ontario,  Canada
Reply #48 - 02/23/5 at 13:59:06

I apologize for a hijack if it happens, but...

Here’s a question to everyone who has recorded and watched his or her in-car footage afterwards: Does it appear to you that you were going faster on the road than it appears in the video? Yes, no? Why?

I’ve watched almost all the videos posted in this topic and it seems like I was driving a bit faster than that when we were on the same roads! I think it was just that I was more scared at the time and that things seem faster when you are scared (or are they supposed to appear slower?).

This is a serious question and I do not intend to offend anyone or their driving skills. Just to clarify, I have never taped myself in a stage and, perhaps, that’s why I’m asking this question here. Thoughts?

By the way, Alan or John, any idea when the final results will be posted on-line?

Ken.

Ken
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #49 - 02/23/5 at 14:23:39

I've noticed it many times before - videos seem significantly slower (just makes you appreciate those WRC drivers more;)).

One aspect is what you mention - you're much more aware of the dangers when you're actually in the car, can feel the loss of grip, g-forces, and have no idea what's behind the next curve. Also, only the most drastic of slides are at all visible in the videos - the 'minor' slides you experience with the butt-dyno all the time are not at all apparent in the camera. (I wasn't exactly among the fastest on the rallycrosses this summer, but I definitelly slid a lot on the slalom portion - totally invisible on the footage).

The rest is probably some function of angle & location of camera. The higher it is, the slower it appears (with my bumper camera, the daytime shots actually appear a bit faster then I remember them, but more approximate the feel of speed). The field of vision of the camera (i.e. how wide/narrow angle it has by default) and zoom also play part.

Bottom line... it's *dam* hard to impress your friends with the in-car footage!  Roll Eyes

---

Final results are available, they're just not linked yet:

http://www.mlrc.ca/road/owr05results.html

Cheerios Smiley

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #50 - 02/23/5 at 15:28:56

hehehe.... butt dyno...  

I also agree, that in-car shots tend to look slow.... definitely need to throw a wide-angle lense in there to pick up more of the car and the road.

Nikola, what are you using for a camera?  I'm assuming you have a lipstick-style camera mounted to the front bumper.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #51 - 02/23/5 at 15:40:57

I think a wider angle lens may help with the impression of speed. Most camera's have a fairly narrow angle lens, so you get clearer long distance shots, but you loose the perhipherial vision areas, which is what you use to gauge motion. You could also point the camera to one side slightly so you see more of the bank speeding past. Nik's video gives you more of an impression of speed because the camera is so close to the ground you see the road zipping past.

I think Nik's video was the most entertaining so far because he got to see all the carnage.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #52 - 02/23/5 at 15:41:47

Quote:
Does it appear to you that you were going faster on the road than it appears in the video? Yes, no? Why?

Hey Ken, congrats on your excellent finish with the new car!

Yes, the video always looks way slower.  I look forward to seeing the video of a particular bit that I remembered as being very hairy, then it looks dead boring on the video.

I believe it's because while driving your eyes pick up more of the peripheral stuff and you know the trees are whipping past quite quickly, whereas on the video the forward view is more restricted.  The stuff in the distance just doesn't seem to be coming at you quite as quickly.

Nikola's low-mounted bumper cam picks up more of the road surface passing by quickly under the nose of the car.  That gives a much better impression of the speed, but from the low angle you lose some of the view down the road.

I like the inside view from our car because it shows what we're doing in the car and how much steering correction is involved.  Plus you can actually watch the speedometer.  It's marked in 20 km/h increments where straight up is 120km/h.  So you can see we're typically going somewhere between 60 to 80 km/h max.  But with the camera located so far back in the cabin, the narrow view of the road out the front windshield still looks slow.  I'm starting to think that's probably because we actually were slow too much of the time.   Embarrassed

Ryan's videos have that nifty wide screen format.  I like that effect too.  Comparing all the videos I can see now that we really will need to buy some new tires for next year.  We look fairly similar in the corners, but we just don't hook up nearly as nice as Ryan's car when he gets on the throttle coming out of corners.  Wow.  His car actually accelerates on the straights.  I'm jealous.  Not to mention that his mom is way cooler than my mom.

WWW   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #53 - 02/23/5 at 15:55:33

LOL  Grin

Yeah, I do intend to get a bullet cam before next winter, so I can do the dual view thing. Ferd, your interior cam is great because it shows how much you're working the wheel, etc, which may often disagree with what it looks like out the front. I know many times where I had a whole bunch of lock and pretty decent slides, and the car looks straight in the vid.

BTW, Ferd, AWD is a beautiful thing. That combined with my decent torque, I was in third for probably 90% of the time in the tight stuff, only going to second on the really tight corners.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #54 - 02/23/5 at 15:59:08

Nice to know that someone thinks I'm cool.  As a new member of MLRC I can now "legally" get on this board.
I know that Ryan is going "oh crap she got on" right now but that's too bad

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #55 - 02/23/5 at 16:03:52

Oh crap, she got on  Shocked

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
BTDT

Reply #56 - 02/23/5 at 16:07:32

Nice talk!  I don't even get a "welcome newbie" message? Cry

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #57 - 02/23/5 at 16:24:24

Welcome! And good navigating. 8)

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #58 - 02/23/5 at 17:31:24

>>Nikola, what are you using for a camera?  I'm assuming you have a lipstick-style camera mounted to the front bumper.

Nope, I'm actually extremely curious as to what people are using usually, as I've gone through my own trial&error process, starting with a wireless camera (prolonged fiasco lasting many weeks & events with no footage), through camcorders and digital cameras, until 4 hours before taking off for the rally on Saturday, in sheer desperation I bought a logitech WebCam from Staples. Worked perfectly! :>
Almost all checkpoints have asked us what the heck were the massive amounts of green duct tape doing running the length of my black car Smiley - it was to hold the USB cable going from the "bumper cam" to the laptop in the back seat :>

as usual though, still plenty of software glitches to iron out, which is why we only have one third of the footage we planned to get.

>>As a new member of MLRC I can now "legally" get on this board.

whopsie! Still haven't sent those membership forms in myself! Sad

And a definite warm welcome:). Though, it seems you can hardly pass yourself off as a newbie... Wink

>>he got to see all the carnage

yup... at one point, we were actually running behind the sweep truck... an extremelly distressing feeling, considering how ecstatic I was to see them on snowy safari Tongue. We were honking our horn and blinking our lights, but they must've adopted the "looking back is for sissies" attitude;) and on one stretch, just before we (mercifully) arrived at the checkpoint, they were gunning it faster in the jeep then we would've otherwise gone in the sedan - it was 'fun' just keeping up with them!Smiley

(... it would've been rather ironic if we had an off trying to catch the sweep truck!)

>>we just don't hook up nearly as nice as Ryan's car when he gets on the throttle coming out of corners

You both got an awesome growl to your engines though :>

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #59 - 02/23/5 at 17:49:22

Quote:
You both got an awesome growl to your engines though :>

Unfortunately that's NOT my engine making the awesome growl.  It's a bearing gone bad in the gearbox.  Rather worrisome that noise...

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print