Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
2005 Ontario Winter Rally (Read 38009 times)
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Re: 2005 Ontario Winter Rally
Reply #60 - 02/23/5 at 18:01:27

oooh ouchie Sad

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Ken Nazeer

Ontario,  Canada
Reply #61 - 02/24/5 at 08:57:32

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It was enlightning (no pun intended)!

I got a chance to see Ryan's footage on a TV last night (straight from his camera). Wow! It looks like nothing on-line. It was also nice to see some moments that he's (wisely) edited out.

I think I'm going to have to buy a camera now!

Ken.

Ken
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #62 - 02/24/5 at 14:24:14

Here's another video for you.  This was near the end when it was getting really icy, so there's lots of flailing arms and flying elbow action.  Putfile.com only allows clips less than 10MB, so I had to cut this one into two parts.

Caution - may be icy - Part 1   (wmv 9.2MB)

Caution - may be icy - Part 2   (wmv 9.4MB)

WWW   IP Logged
tbartman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #63 - 02/24/5 at 19:29:51

Hi all,

Also a newbie to this forum.  I have been checking out the videos that have been posted, and hopefully if I get the chance to compete again I will have to hook up a camera.

This was my first time driving in a rally (other than a mini more than 10 years ago) and holy smoke was that a blast.   Grin  
Having done this rally from the navigators side many times, I never had an appreciation for the driving necessary.  Congrats to all the competitors and to all the workers.

Tom Bartman

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #64 - 02/24/5 at 22:08:19

[quote author=Nikola whopsie! Still haven't sent those membership forms in myself! Sad
[/quote]
Hmm, yes.  I remember requiring ALL Lanark Highland Winter Rally entrants to be an affiliated member, and you assured me you were, or were very soon to be. So against my own rules I let you run, but that was two years ago.  I see you have never joined a club.  I still feel duped.  Nikola, please support the grassroots clubs (like MLRC) with a membership that offer you these great events in a great sport!

Back to the technical...
I haven't played with on board cameras, but IN the car I think a more narrow view might make it look faster.  This is because in a wide view IN the car, there is a lot of image that is stationary.  Only a small part of the visual area is in motion.  OUTSIDE the car, like a low bumper cam, wider will probably make it look faster for the reasons Ferd mentioned.  It's all about perception.

At the MCO RG meeting we just watched on-board from Clarke/Gamblin, finished a close 2nd in Modern at Targa.  VERY fast car/driver. Good interior wide shots, no way did it ever look as fast as they were actually going (200+ sometimes).  Very deceptive.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #65 - 02/24/5 at 23:17:17

edit: post removed into private e-mail, where this clearly belongs.

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #66 - 02/24/5 at 23:19:36

edit: nothing to see here, carry on Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/25/5 at 17:10:49 by Nikola »  

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
luv2drift
YaBB Newbies

ON
Reply #67 - 02/25/5 at 08:57:53

Wasn't your handle Zweltstein or something just a little while ago ?

keepin' the shiny side up!
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #68 - 02/25/5 at 09:13:05

yup, it got really messy as I had different handles on different forums, so I asked admins to help me change them all to my first name... this way when we meet, there's less confusion (and people don't try to pronounce Zweistein and call me that Wink).

... 'course, the best laid plans of mice and men... it might have become more confusing for the first little while  Roll Eyes

edit: btw Craig and I cleared the mistaken identity issue over e-mail... 'tis all cool now Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/25/5 at 17:38:44 by Nikola »  

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #69 - 02/25/5 at 21:36:15

Yes, I jumped too fast on this one, I screwed up.  darn those 5 hour flights and black coffee.  The original sentiment still holds, I don't like being duped as an organiser, but the ID was wrong.  Nikola and I are best buds again, and there is free beer in his future. Sorry mate (cough).

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
96XJ
YaBB Newbies

Reply #70 - 02/25/5 at 23:22:07

Just wanted to thank all of you for the videos. They help when you're explaining the rally to someone unfamiliar with our sport. BTW, OWR has the best roads I've ever run in a TSD rally and it was a blast. I'm afraid it will make the tougher rallies here in Michigan seem like driving down the freeway at 10mph! It was weird running a TSD where I was over 30 seconds behind at times with nothing but the road slowing me that much! In case you're wondering I was in the Jeep Cherokee. Can't wait until next years event.

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #71 - 02/26/5 at 01:09:56

Gol darnit, I have yet to run in the OWR, but working CP's the roads are insanely incredible for sure.  Not only are the roads great, but if Ross W. has a hand in a rally, it is impeccably organised.  I took a lot of cues from Ross, learning tons from simply working "his" events.  For other great roads I also recommend any rally in the Quebec Laurentians, and of course (shameless plug) in the Lanark Highlands.  Both the Bancroft area (OWR and Tall Pines) and the Lanark Highlands roads were used on the 74 Rideau Lakes Rally ("WRC" in 1974).   Thankfully not all of Ontario is flat.  The roads in the Laurentians are darn tootin scary incredible, lots of elevation, and even with a max speed of 70 kph, that's a max CAS of 63, and that is real tough up there.  "1000 Snowbanks" runs tomorrow night. : )  and the Montreal club is considering running the long standing Rallye des Neiges March 12.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #72 - 02/26/5 at 01:26:02

It is tough explaining the excitement of our sport to others - saying "Gee Whiz, the CAS was 62kph on that section!!!", everbody's face goes blank "oh... ok". Going average of 60 just doesn't sound very interesting;) And of course, the videos sometime make it seem that we're taking a grocery drive, which combined with the insane expectations of Solberg & Loeb style all-out racing, unfailingly bring dissapointment to the listeners...

Ah well... we know we're having a good (if occasionally dramatic) time  Cheesy

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #73 - 02/26/5 at 09:31:20

Quote:
In case you're wondering I was in the Jeep Cherokee.

A Cherokee would never be my first choice of vehicle for this type of rally.  But you guys did REALLY well!  We'll certainly be watching out for you next year.

WWW   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #74 - 02/26/5 at 19:37:58

no worries... we'll be bringing up the rear again, with the hook at the ready!  Grin

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print