Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lights?  What are the rules? (Read 3519 times)
ootpek
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Lights?  What are the rules?
02/18/5 at 11:23:22

Ok so I'm adding extra lights to my car.  What are the rules for their use?

ie: Is there a limit to how MANY or how much candlepower?

When I can use them and when I can't etc?

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Re: Lights?  What are the rules?
Reply #1 - 02/18/5 at 12:01:45

ootpek wrote on 02/18/5 at 11:23:22:
Ok so I'm adding extra lights to my car.  What are the rules for their use?

For ORRC or performance?

For OPRC or CRC rallies, check the CARS rulebook.  It's under 'Documents' at http://www.carsrally.ca

For ORRC rallies, check the ORRC rulebook.  There's a link on the left side at http://www.rallysport.on.ca .  The main restriction is that you should be able to turn off all high beams and auxillary lights with a single switch.

For either OPRC or ORRC, the Highway Traffic Act has some things to say on the subject of lights (search for 'lamps' - http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90h08_e.htm , plus the regulations to the Act).

Quote:
When I can use them and when I can't etc?

For either OPRC or ORRC, you can't use your lights in a quiet zone - these are marked in the route instructions.

Cheers,

Jeff

WWW   IP Logged
ootpek
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/18/5 at 12:16:22

Hmm...was lookint at ORRC and specifically for the laws and regulations in Ontario.  Searching for Lamps didn't get me anywhere...do you have a short synopsis of the rules?

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 02/18/5 at 12:25:16

Hmmm... as far as legalities go....
in the HTA...

Strength of front lamps

(9)  No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

Other than that.... for use on rallies, make sure you can control the lights by the high-beam switch.... ie, turning off your highbeams turns off all aux. lights.

I also believe that it is an RSO rule that you are not allowed to mount the lights above the driver's sightline.... ie, no mounting the lights on the roof rack.  (it's been done before... last year's OWR? I believe it was a toyoto 4-door sedan... but I image you'd have a lot of glare in your eyes during a snowstorm or heavy fog)

Most people aren't concerned with the max candella rule.... i've never met a police officer who carried the equipment to test them.  I'm also running 4 extra lights on the front.... never had issues with the police.... as long as you behave, they don't mind.  I actually picked up a police officer on the friday night before Snowy Safari when I went out to align lights/test computer.  (-20, and his diesel jetta had quit about 3km from his house).  He got in the car, and said he didn't have a problem with them.... I even turned them on while I was driving down the little backroad to his house.

The times you will get in trouble is if you use the lights on the street when other people are around.  When I run my Hella 500 fog lights, I still turn them off when I approach traffic, or when there are oncoming vehicles.  It's common courtesy in my opinion.  You may also run into problems if you start running blue-coloured bulbs... the police know the difference between stock HID headlights, and crappy blue-covered bulbs you buy in the 'tuner' section.  Besides... blueish light is useless if the road is wet.... blue light scatters too easily.

Did that help?  Anything more you would like explained or helped out with?

IP Logged
ootpek
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 02/18/5 at 15:17:32

That was great thanks!

Now I can go measure the spot on the front for two lights instead of 4 on the roof.  

Maybe make my Off-road roof lights later.  Hehe.

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 02/24/5 at 18:01:07

ootpek wrote on 02/18/5 at 12:16:22:
Hmm...was lookint at ORRC and specifically for the laws and regulations in Ontario.  Searching for Lamps didn't get me anywhere...do you have a short synopsis of the rules?

Go here,
http://www.rallysport.on.ca/
and click the link that says "2005 Rulebook"

Dems da rules.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print