Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions to Ontario Perf. Rallyists (Read 3004 times)
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Questions to Ontario Perf. Rallyists
02/19/5 at 11:45:07

Good day,

As organizers of the Four Star Motorsports Black Bear Rally 2005 we're exploring ways to maximize the entry in our event. We're considering a few things for the event, and wondering if they'll make a difference in whether you would compete in the event or not.

First a little background: this year the rally will feature two new stage roads, in addition to the road we've used the past few years. This will bring the total stage mileage up to roughly 100kms, with slightly more than that for transit distance. We will also be providing organizer stage notes for all the stage roads.

The first thing we're considering is a reduced entry fee for seed 4, 5 and 6 drivers. Seeds 4 and 5 would receive a certain reduction, and seed 6 would receive slightly more. We haven't worked out what the numbers would be exactly, but we'd like input on whether you as competitors would be attracted to the event because of this.

The second major thing we're looking at offering is single-pass recce, in addition to the stage notes. This would give teams a chance to drive the stages at slow speeds to check the notes, and gain a measure of experience in how the recce system works as practice for future events. Of course you would have the option of not doing the recce and just use the stage notes, or just use the standard routebook. Our main concern with offering the recce is making the day too long, and potentially forcing competitors to stay for two nights in a hotel. Being a regional event, we're trying to minimize expenses for everyone. The two most likely scenarios would be: friday evening scrutineering, recce saturday morning and rally start around noon, finish around 8:30-9pm; or friday evening and saturday morning scrutineering, rally start around 10-11am, finish at roughly 7pm.

We would appreciate as much input as we can get on these matters, so that we may make decisions that will be best for our competitors.

Thank you.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Re: Questions to Ontario Perf. Rallyists
Reply #1 - 02/21/5 at 19:48:01

What is a recce? ???

I might be having too much fun....
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #2 - 02/22/5 at 00:27:08

I believe recce is when the competitors go over the special stages ahead of time slowly to create their own detailed pacenotes (The "left 6 plus into right 4 tightens maybe slippy seventy" schtick:)).
Stage notes I believe are supposed to be the same thing, but made by the organizer, so not as suitable to each team's preferences necessarily (and maybe not as detailed, plus - you're putting your life into somebody else's hands...), but make it easier for lower budget / time teams to participate.

And no idea what the standard routebook is then... perhaps just the TSD type instructions and figure out your own curves? Dunno... wait for somebody with authority to answer I think Wink

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #3 - 02/22/5 at 09:15:30

Nikola, you described the difference between recce and stage notes perfectly.

A standard routebook is what is used in a conventional "Blind Rally".  Only the most potentially hazardous turns and cautions are marked in the book.  But most rallies seem to be moving away from this format.  I belive Perce-Neige is the only national level event which still follows this format.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #4 - 02/22/5 at 09:16:54

Ryan, I would be fore your suggestion oof one pass recce, its a good compromise I think.

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print