legal seat belts (Read 2973 times)
flood
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

legal seat belts
03/08/5 at 19:47:13

Hello everyone,
I once got a ticket in Ontario for wearing a 5 point harness in a street car. It was not fastened to any cage or anything (didn't have one) but it was solid, apparently not good enough for the highway code though. What do you all do in the cars? keep the 3 points for when your off the stage or can you get the 5 points certified if not do you just use the 5 points anyway? whats the standard?

Sry if its a newbie question but I would like to know.
Thanks
Flood

IP Logged
nhibbert

Re: legal seat belts
Reply #1 - 03/08/5 at 19:59:40

I'm no expert on seat belts, but I've heard that you shouldn't use a five point harness if you don't have a roll cage. If the car rolls you have no place to go with a five point. With a three point you can get you head down when the roof comes in on you.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #2 - 03/08/5 at 21:06:49

Ya.... i'll repeat what norm has said..... anything other than 3 point stock harnesses aren't safe if you don't have a roll cage..... the fact that your pinned to the seat means you can't 'fall' towards the center of the car if the roof is crushed in, or if the side suffers a severe impact.

As for the law.  The only way you can be given a ticket is if you still have the stock seatbelt in the car.  If you want to install an aftermarket restraint, you must eliminate the original option.  Now, I'm sure if the officer wanted to be a jerk, they could insist that your car be taken to a qualified auto shop to have them verify the proper installation of the harness.

Hmmm.... where'd I put that HTA

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #3 - 03/08/5 at 23:20:22

I beleive it is absolutely illegal to remove the OEM seatbelts.  Even if for whatrver reason you decide to not use them. Even in a stage car.  The car isn't legal without them.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #4 - 03/09/5 at 08:41:54

dtompsett wrote on 03/08/5 at 21:06:49:
Hmmm.... where'd I put that HTA

Right here:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90h08_e.htm#BK153

HTA Part IV, Section 106, Subsection (2):
Quote:
No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle in which a seat belt assembly required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada has been removed, rendered partly or wholly inoperative, modified so as to reduce its effectiveness or is not operating properly through lack of maintenance.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 106 (2).

BTW - all Ontario statues and regulations are online (and searchable) at http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca

Jeff

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print