Send Topic Print
RALLYCROSS UPDATE (Read 10803 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

RALLYCROSS UPDATE
05/20/5 at 13:30:02

RallyCross WILL be held in Bancroft this year. The delay in announcing it has been that we are also working on additional location(s).

Perhaps a bit of background information would be helpful here. RallyCross has been run more or less regulary in Ontario since the late 70's when we first ran in a couple of pits in Buckhorn. Since then we have run in pits in Caledon, Stouffville and Bancroft to name a few, as well as on a racetrack property and in farmer's fields. Through all of that we have learned a lot of lessons.

Wherever we have gone, we have left for the same reasons over and over. Either the neighbours complain about the noise and dust or the pit is no longer active or the site just was not suitable.

No property owner will let us run for any length of time out of the goodness of their heart. There must be something in it for them. In the case of large aggregate companies, the best we can offer them is some good public exposure in the community by linking up with a charity or something similar - Big Brothers, Boy Scouts etc. At the grassroots level we can't even dream of paying a business enough money to make it attractive.

Farmer's fields are generally not suitable - they are either too rough, too slippery. too dusty or several of the above. Race tracks don't generally want us because they can't make enough money out of us. Those that are interested are far away from the populated areas and too long a drive for most competitors.

We are currently in negotiations with a very large aggregate company. They asre considering our request, but raise the usual concerns - neighbours' complaints, nuisance, liability and what would they get out of it?

We are in an extremely fortunate situation in Bancroft. Because of our excellent rapport with the Town of Bancroft officials through the Tall Pines Rally and the Ontario Winter Rally, they are providing us with a venue and grader free of charge. All we have to pay is the grader operator's wages for the day. In addition the Town officials are extremely progressive in their outlook and are strong enough not to crumble under the odd complaint from a neighbour. They see the big picture.

Meanwhile if any of you have a hot lead, please let us know. But please be prepared do the initial groundwork with our guidance to be reasonably certain that the venue is suitable and that the property owner is amenable to discussion.

Ross Wood, RSO Secretary

IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: RALLYCROSS UPDATE
Reply #1 - 05/24/5 at 21:03:05

Your efforts are appreciated, thanks - the rallycrosses I've been too have been great and well worth the drive.  Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
Ben
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/02/5 at 13:34:19

Thanks for your work efford and will joint at least 2 events this year.
Please let us know the date of the event so we could have time to get ready for fun.

Ben

IP Logged
suprf1y
YaBB Newbies

That Suzuki guy

Reply #3 - 06/05/5 at 18:35:37

I've wanted to enter the rallycross in the past but have always been busy with other events. I've never done it, but it looks like a riot, and it looks like I will have time this year.
I have a few questions.
I assume that I don't have to belong to a club to enter?
Will I get laughed at if I bring a 3cyl. Metro?(its OK if I don't hear them) Grin
I have 175 70 13 Can tire, or Toyo snow/ice tires. Will they be good, or will I be better off with 12" snows for the better gearing? The little 3 needs the gear, but I'm afraid that a 145 tire will be too narrow.

I/PS land speed record holder
3TECH PERFORMANCE
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #4 - 06/05/5 at 18:43:31

That car would be just fine for these events.  I wold keep the 13" snow tires, they will work fine.  Hope to see you out!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
suprf1y
YaBB Newbies

That Suzuki guy

Reply #5 - 06/05/5 at 18:47:15

Thank you John. Are there any practice runs, or am I correct to assume that it is very similar to an autocross?

3TECH PERFORMANCE
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 06/05/5 at 20:32:19

No practice runs, but if time permits we will do a parade lap around the course so you can familiarise yourself with it.  The rallycrosses run in a similar fashion to autox events except that overall positions are determined by the cumulative times of all your runs (not just your single best run).

Hope to see you there!

WWW   IP Logged
JAY
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ont.
Reply #7 - 06/09/5 at 19:12:23

How did I miss this? You can bet I'll be making the five hour trek from London for at least some of the events. Can't wait!

- J

WWW   IP Logged
suprf1y
YaBB Newbies

That Suzuki guy

Reply #8 - 06/11/5 at 09:37:15

JAY wrote on 06/09/5 at 19:12:23:
How did I miss this? You can bet I'll be making the five hour trek from London for at least some of the events. Can't wait!

- J

Maybe we can convoy.
I'm near Brantford.
Your sig looks familiar (solo ontario board?)

3TECH PERFORMANCE
  IP Logged
JAY
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ont.
Reply #9 - 06/12/5 at 18:43:36

suprf1y wrote on 06/11/5 at 09:37:15:
Maybe we can convoy.
I'm near Brantford.
Your sig looks familiar (solo ontario board?)

I'm JAYh on the solo board. I'm on the GRM board too (Jay) but I only have about 15 posts.

- J

WWW   IP Logged
suprf1y
YaBB Newbies

That Suzuki guy

Reply #10 - 07/02/5 at 08:51:22

Just wondering whats going on with the rallycross. On the site it says entry will be open in late June. Its now July, and after emailing the contact name on the rallycross site, I have yet to receive respnse. Will entry be open soon?

3TECH PERFORMANCE
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #11 - 07/02/5 at 18:12:47

They will need to advise us of the new date, once it's established, since Black Bear is going ahead on July 23.

Jeannie

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - 07/04/5 at 08:21:32

Apologies for the delayed response, I've been away for the last week.

Registration will open soon, and yes, the first event will likely be moved.  More info coming soon.

WWW   IP Logged
suprf1y
YaBB Newbies

That Suzuki guy

Reply #13 - 08/06/5 at 21:05:31

OK, a few more stupid questions.
Will it be possible to enter 2 people on the same car, like in some autocrosses?
Its a long drive for me. Is there a close place to camp, or is it OK to park at the the gravel pit/rec center overnight?

3TECH PERFORMANCE
  IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - 08/06/5 at 22:01:48

suprf1y wrote on 08/06/5 at 21:05:31:
Will it be possible to enter 2 people on the same car, like in some autocrosses?

No problem.  Just indicate the name of the person in the "comments" field on the entry form with whom you'll be sharing a car.

Quote:
Its a long drive for me. Is there a close place to camp, or is it OK to park at the the gravel pit/rec center overnight?

There is a comprehensive list of accomodations and campgrounds on the Tall Pines website.

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/TallPines/Default.aspx?tabid=84

I'm not sure if camping is permitted in the gravel pit or in the rec centre.  The MBS lot is private property so I very much doubt they will allow camping.  In any case, the traffic on Hwy 62 will probably keep you awake all night.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print