advice for a newby (Read 4677 times)
team_muskoka
YaBB Newbies

"  GO BIG
OR STAY HOME "

advice for a newby
06/19/5 at 07:15:57

I want to get started in rally racing.
which of these vehicles would be the best to start with ?
1987 Honda Accord, 5 sp.
1987 Jeep Comanchee, 6 foot box, 5 sp.
1991 Gmc sonoma, v-6, 6 foot box, auto.
1987 Dodge Dakota, v-6, auto, 8 foot box.
1991 Ford tempo  ( sure not this one, LOL )
We are leaning to the Jeep Comanchee, it has heavy duty frame , it`s been a rugged truck for us. I like this one but we need some advice on the choices.
What is considered as entry level  ???????
We have many many questions and we are serious about getting involved. Any advise from here will help us decide where to start .
Thanks in advance.
John.
Team Muskoka Racing.

" GO BIG OR STAY HOME "
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Re: advice for a newby
Reply #1 - 06/19/5 at 11:42:17

Actually, not sure, but Tempo may be your best bet. Accord is a bit big but a possibility; trucks, as Monty Python would say, are right out!
Tempo is light, cheap, and in an entry-level category. You'll need to install appropriate roll-cage, harnesses, and other safety equipment; and probably switch out the suspension, get some gravel tires, and so forth.

FWIW: if you think trucks are a possibility, you may not be totally up to speed as to what performance rallying involves;). You can get a bit of an intro at
http://www.rallysport.on.ca/beginner.html
and
http://www.torontoautosportclub.ca/rallying.html

You can also check out the related sport of navigational rallying, which doesn't require any preparation, and will get you involved in the rallying circle where you can ask your questions directly. Volunteering at performance events will also give you a great view of what it's all about Smiley

Good luck!

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #2 - 06/20/5 at 10:01:29

Hi, John.

There are a small number of trucks kicking around the performance rally scene.  I've actually seen a Jeep Commanche rallying in the U.S. and there's an American S-10 that sometimes makes appearances in Canada.

That being said, trucks are definitely in the minority, and most of the ones still running are U.S. teams that take advantage of the Rally America "RallyTruck" class, something we don't have here in Canada.

For a newcomer, I'd suggest a few things.  First, if you're getting into rallying because you want to drive, consider buying, rather than building, your first car.  It will help your learning curve by letting you concentrate on improving your driving skills instead of having to worry as much about keeping your car going.

Second, if you've made up your mind that you really, really want to build a car (and have the skills, tools and everything else necessary), I'd suggest you look at what you want in a car.  Consider things like:

- total overall cost (not just the initial price of your car)
- reliability
- availability of rally suspension, tires and wheels
- availability of performance parts & ease of modification
- the size of the knowledge base you can draw on in the rally community

I assume that the cars you listed are ones you have now or have easy access to.  I encourage you to look at the whole investment you're planning to make:

- car purchase
- car prep
- "per-rally" costs: entry fees, accommodations, gas, tires, etc.
- repairs
- future modifications & improvements

Most of the time, the car purchase price will be only a small part of your overall expense.  Rallies are tough on cars, and a cheap car can be false economy; if you continually bend or break the car, you'll quickly end up spending just as much to fix it as you could've paid to start with a solid platform.

Also, don't understimate the value of the advice of other teams.  Rally people tend to be helpful, but every car has its own special quirks and you may find it more difficult going alone with an oddball car.

I'd echo what Nikola said about volunteering.  Seeing a few rallies in person and chatting with teams in the service area should give you a very good idea of what your car will be expected to take and which cars are more suitable than others.

And navigational rallying is definitely a good idea, too:  It'll help you learn the process involved in a rally and you'll improve your in-car teamwork immensely.

You said you have many questions - please feel free to email me.

Jeff Hagan
VP - Performance
RallySport Ontario
vpperformance - at - rallysport.on.ca

WWW   IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #3 - 06/20/5 at 15:32:32

http://www.rallyclassified.com/index.php?cat=18
This page is a classified section for rally cars. You can see what is available and at what price (if you want to take Jeff's advise and buy a complete car) or to see what other teams have used and how they're set up(including one Jeep Comache currently listed).

Definately, get involved in navigational rallying and come out as a spectator or marshal at performance rally's before you start though.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #4 - 06/23/5 at 11:02:23

You don't say where you live, John, but you might want to look up the whereabouts of the club closest to you (I'm guessing it's MLRC) and attend a meeting. Meeting fellow rally fiends . . . er, friends, is a great way to get started!  Wink

Good luck on your quest. You're in good company!

Jeannie (PMSC)

IP Logged
team_muskoka
YaBB Newbies

"  GO BIG
OR STAY HOME "

Reply #5 - 06/26/5 at 10:28:27

Hey ppl, thanks for the great advice. Thats the kind of info I need.
I have been studying all the rally sites and links with great interest, but for now I won`t  pick a ride untill we learn more about what works and what don`t.
My son and I along with some good freinds have volunteered to help out with the Black Bear rally.
This is our home turf and we know the trails.
This will expose us to the world of rally racing. We are all looking forward to this day
Thanks again, nhibbert, Jeff, Nikola, Jeannie.
Cya at the Black Bear.
John.
TMR.

" GO BIG OR STAY HOME "
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #6 - 06/28/5 at 08:56:02

Echoing the others, and putting in my 2 cents, do NOT underestimate the value of navigational rallying prior to get into performance rallying (rally 'racing' - when did we add 'racing'?? This was debated recently on another list).

While I'm not a performance rally driver, personally, there's no way I'd start driving roads in anger until I'd been on the clock many many times before that, and knew how a rally was run from the competitor side, and had the teamwork thing all sorted out.  Teamwork, in the car, under pressure, is a huge thing to figure out.  You can do that on the cheap in navigational rallying.  Same goes for volunteering as both a rally marshal, and a service crew.  That will really pay dividends. Hope to see you at both types of rally!
Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #7 - 06/29/5 at 10:47:55

The name of Pat Richard's company: Rocket Rally Racing. See http://www.rocketrally.com/managed/index.php

Jeannie  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print