Send Topic Print
Roll cage welding (Read 2564 times)
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Roll cage welding
08/15/5 at 20:22:03

hi guys

My street car just bit the dust. Exaust, brakes and many other things. thank god the engin and tranny are still good. So its time to turn it into my first rally car. YEEE HAAA been waiting years for it to happen. I have some experience welding. My question is, is there a certian type of welding you would recoment. Ex tig or mig. Just wondering if it really matter. WE have a portable welder at work i can use and if i can use it it would save some moeny. thanks in advance

MacArthur

69339281   IP Logged
Anthony_T

Re: Roll cage welding
Reply #1 - 08/16/5 at 13:55:44

I am not an expert but I can tell you the type of welder you choose to use should be based on the material you are welding.  

I was introduced to TIG as a means of welding aluminum.  

From my experience, you will acheive better results sooner using a wire feed type welder (MIG (gas) or Flux cored arc welding (gasless) )

Keep in mind CARS regulations suggest that welds should be neat in appearence...

Although I've taken a college course on the subjet and have a few years of pretty consistent welding experience under my belt, I still would not trust my life on my welds - when it comes to the cage at least.  Personally that's something I would leave to the experts.  Seam welding the body on the on the other hand...  I would consider it.

Also consider what almost everyone who's built a car will tell you - it's much cheaper to buy a built car which already has a logbook.  Not only is it cheaper you won't have to worry about whether the car you are sinking all your hard earned cash in will pass it's initial inspection and be granted a logbook.

Anyway - those are my amateur thoughts on the subject - not meant to be discouraging in any way.

Lastly, what I should done, purchase the CARS rule book before you start building, or buying.  It will give you a better idea of what you're getting into.  

Others will certainly have much to add or correct, it's a beginning at least.  Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/16/5 at 15:12:32

Anthony gives excellent advice re buying an existing rally car as your first rally car for a whole bunch of reasons - easier, cheaper,  proven etc etc.

After your first car you will learn a whole lot,  then can make a better decision whether or not to build your next one yourself.

IP Logged
MacArthur
YaBB Newbies

On.
Reply #3 - 08/16/5 at 15:32:43

thanx guys.
Ill keep my eyes open for a 91 civic rally car maby. That way i will have a parts car.

69339281   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print