Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Rules re movement of cars during rallies (Read 24167 times)
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Re: Rules re movement of cars during rallies
Reply #30 - 10/12/5 at 20:08:29

You raise excellent points, hard to argue against anything you said.  Yet, I'm not sure potential sponsors would want to read this dirty laundary in a public forum either.  Bring it in off the line. Write to CARS, RSO, etc. This rally was over a month ago.

I'd chalk it up to more hard won experience that may give you an advantage for the rest of your rallying carreer.

Aside from the envigorating academic debate it has generated, the results are final as much as that sucks, we all know certain people are pissed off about it, and no doubt the people who feel they got screwed will be using their microscopes on the errant or cheating team or whatever you want to call them next time they're competing together. I have no doubt that this infraction is very unlikely to happen, or go unnoticed, ever again, by you, anyway. I'll be on my toes for sure!

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
darryl

Reply #31 - 10/13/5 at 06:49:05

Just so we are clear, I never suggested or condoned breaking the rules. I just don’t fully agree with them. Also my comments are general ones about club rally, not the specific incident that started this tread.

Some good points raised but I don’t fully agree that having your car towed back to service during a transit stage is an unfair advantage. There are always going to be teams with more resources and money, a definite advantage. Unfair? Not necessarily.

Lets be realistic, this is club racing where the award is a $5 piece of wood.

There have been many discussions on the lack of competitors over the past year. I just think that you are going to loose a few more competitors because you deny them the chance to run over some thing as silly as part A breaking at the beginning of a transit and there is a new part A sitting back at service.

Maybe more importantly the fans will be upset. Look at what happened at the US F1 race.

Cheers,
Darryl

Good discussion, I hope no one is severally pissed off.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #32 - 10/13/5 at 08:00:44

darryl wrote on 10/13/5 at 06:49:05:
I don’t fully agree that having your car towed back to service during a transit stage is an unfair advantage.

Think of it this way.  Before the rally (any rally for that matter), all competitors were told that the rally was a specific distance, I will guess and say about 400km.  But by towing through that transit, that car did not travel the full 400km, it only travelled 320km.  That is most definately an unfair advantage.  And It should be very easy to say that this car "Did Not Finish".

Note: I don't know anything about the specific incident at Defi, I don't even know what competitors were involved.  I'm just commenting on the specific point of trailering through transits.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
darryl

Reply #33 - 10/13/5 at 08:26:26

Don’t get me wrong, I love to see the ingenuity of the driver/co-driver using tie downs to hold the strut in the car or getting water from the neighbor hood swimming pool so the engine doesn’t overheat.
But I doubt that any competitor would complain if there were only a total of 10kms of transit stage.

The rules also state that a car must be completely road legal. A srutineer sure would look silly if he/she denied Pat Richard the chance to run at Tall Pines simply because a turn signal light was blown out.

Rules are mostly black and white; life is anything but Undecided

IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #34 - 10/13/5 at 08:41:21

darryl wrote on 10/13/5 at 08:26:26:
A srutineer sure would look silly if he/she denied Pat Richard the chance to run at Tall Pines simply because a turn signal light was blown out.

Rules are mostly black and white; life is anything but Undecided

actually, I think it would make pat look silly.Wink
OK, but he would certainly get a note in his logbook that would tell them to fix it by the next event.  We can't be picking and choosing the rules we follow.

Does no one else see how being able to trailer cars between stages would really increase the cost?  Most sane people I know use their tow vehicles as a giant toolbox/resource vehicle at service.  The last thing I would want to do would be to unload my car, and then start unpacking/seting up service in 20 minutes.

Just because I couldn't afford to have 'tow crew' AND a 'service crew' would put me at a giant disadvantage..

OR, what if someone has an enclosed trailer and decides to work on their car in transit(inside the trailer!)?  Pretty tough to police that?  (don't laugh, it happened at Targa).

I don't know who was involved at Defi either, I just don't think the rule should be changed.  If anything, a variation of SuperRally should be adopted.

Andrew Harvey Photography
www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
darryl

Reply #35 - 10/13/5 at 09:12:32

"If anything, a variation of SuperRally should be adopted."
Not sure what you are talking about here?

Definitely I agree that towing the car every transit is a bit extreme and costly.

Really my point is that if someone was broken down on transit on the way to service, let the guy tow the car into service for repairs so he can continue on to the next stage.

It would be easy to write it into the rules that if someone does tow their car to service (by trailer or fellow competitor) during a transit, give them a 1-5 minute penalty. That way people won’t be doing it just to save wear and tear on the car. And really this wouldn’t be an advantage over other competitors, it just helps the crew get more seat time and if they care a few more points towards the championship.

Any thoughts?

-Darryl

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #36 - 10/13/5 at 10:03:18

SuperRally? Like a giant rallycross, right? So without transits.

I think the officials would need to decide, and state in the Supp Regs, whether trailers could be used on long transits. I know one rally out of Calgary allowed competitors to do that, if they chose.

Regarding Defi, I would comment that the officials at any, and every, rally need to keep their eyes open.

I'm also sure there are discussions at the official level about this situation. It can't have gone unnoticed.

Re the rules: a penalty for towing sounds like something that could be discussed. Then you get to finish it but suffer the consequences for having had an advantage, so to speak, over your fellow competitors.

Is this Darryl M, by the way?

And about signal lights: I remember the team I crewed for at Targa Newfoundland 2002 having some very intense moments because of something as minor as lights. It needed to get fixed before they could run.

I should say that we are a really grassroots team, so everything we are discussing affects us.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #37 - 10/13/5 at 10:26:20

They use SuperRally in the WRC.  It allows teams that DNF to start again, at the end of a leg or the next day.  Ovbiously on WRC events that are 3 days long, it is a little easier to run this type of rule.  
However, having cars that aren't competing running with those that are opens up a huge can of worms.

Andrew

www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #38 - 10/13/5 at 10:31:48

Teams CANNOT score points after they restart in SuperRally.  That wasn't clear in my previous post.  They are scored as a DNF.

www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #39 - 10/13/5 at 11:26:53

Andrew_Harvey wrote on 10/13/5 at 10:31:48:
Teams CANNOT score points after they restart in SuperRally.  That wasn't clear in my previous post.  They are scored as a DNF.

You mean in your proposed SupeRally system?
Why not?  The way a SupeRally system works, is they receive the stage time of the slowest competitor in their class + 5 minutes, per every stage missed.  If such a system were to be adopted, there is no reason to deny that competitor any points, as they would almost surely be last anyways.  The WRC SupeRally system does allow competitors to score points after restarting.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #40 - 10/13/5 at 12:25:34

To recap, isn't the point of this discussion:

1. A team unfairly towed a vehicle through a transit.
2. No one noticed and/or lodged a protest.
3. The team won their class, accumulating points against others who ran by the rules.

Then someone who did notice began this topic.

I can't imagine drastic changes being introduced because of this situation. Whether RSO chooses to address it with the team involved is something we wouldn't necessarily know about.

I don't think it will affect the sport, discourage people from entering or disenchant the fans. What it does mean is that not all competitors are reading the rulebook, or abiding by those rules.

The rallies we are involved in are small and often the transits are minimal. You would want to think about that before proposing rules for all rallies. Perhaps the next step is to formally address any proposals with RSO.

Jeannie

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #41 - 10/13/5 at 18:34:33

A car that needs a tow to complete a transit has, in all likelihood, already lost a ton of time on the stages.  An additional penalty would be simply kicking them while they're down.  I realize that the case discussed in this thread is different because the car in question received a tow at the start of the day - but this is an exceptional case, and the first of its kind that I am aware of.

IMO a victory achieved because a competing team failed to complete a transit is a hollow victory.  Transits are designed to connect the competitive portion of the event.  Sure, they are still part of the rally, but the event is designed to be (and should be) won on the stages.  I wouldn't take much satisfaction or pride in winning if my rival DNFed on the run to service.

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #42 - 10/13/5 at 18:49:26

AlanO wrote on 10/13/5 at 18:34:33:
A car that needs a tow to complete a transit has, in all likelihood, already lost a ton of time on the stages.

Stage times?! I'm just in this for the single babes. Never mind.
Quote:
I wouldn't take much satisfaction or pride in winning if my rival DNFed on the run to service.

Mechanical DNF you mean, I guess. If they they crashed on a transit... that would be rich, verging on sweet (less injuries).

The original point of this thread, is that somebody is (still) pissed off, not without some justification.  But I don't suspect this problem will occur again anytime soon, what with all the all-seeing eyes out there now, and I don't think any rules need to be changed.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #43 - 10/13/5 at 20:16:17

AlanO wrote on 10/13/5 at 18:34:33:
IMO a victory achieved because a competing team failed to complete a transit is a hollow victory.  Transits are designed to connect the competitive portion of the event.  Sure, they are still part of the rally, but the event is designed to be (and should be) won on the stages.  I wouldn't take much satisfaction or pride in winning if my rival DNFed on the run to service.

But how many cases have there been where somebody has won because somebody else made a math mistake, and took a time penalty?  Or where someone has completed all the stages and then broke down on transit to park ferme?
It's not any different, and it's part of rallying.  A rally cannot be won on a transit, but it can certainly be lost there.  I don't think that's hollow at all, in order to win, you must outlast, outsmart and outrun your opponents.  You've got to have the whole complete package.  That's why rally cars, and rally people are greater than any other motorsport.   8)

IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #44 - 10/13/5 at 20:45:20

Quote:
But how many cases have there been where somebody has won because somebody else made a math mistake, and took a time penalty?

Think of it this way: time penalties and broken suspension are analogous in the same way as helping your competitor calculate their time-in and a broken alternator.

There's nothing a healthy car can do in the former cases - the broken car can't be towed (easily) and the crew cannot have their opponent's time penalties removed once they are incurred.  The outcome is decided and it's tough luck for the unfortunate team.

However, in the latter cases, the healthy car can tow the competitor's car to the next service, and the crew can help their competitor calculate their time-in to avoid incurring penalties.  Something can be done to avoid the DNF/time penalty.  The effect is that the playing field is levelled in the competitive sections of the rally.

I guess I see transits differently - I see them as merely a means of getting from one stage to another.  Strictly my opinion, though.

Quote:
That's why rally cars, and rally people are greater than any other motorsport.   8)

Rally people also have a reputation for helping their fellow participants.  Should we start abandoning other competitors when something can be done to keep them in the rally?

I'm not suggesting that teams should tow cars through several stages to get them to the next service, or that they should give up spare tires/parts that may be needed later.  

But I think that teams should try to help each other when there is minimal cost to a healthy team, even if the "weaker" team is a direct competitor.   Keeping them in the event makes it more interesting at the end.  Having more people in your class is fun!  It's always been way more enjoyable for me when I've had good battles in my class - P3 with Dmitri, and P4 and Group N this year.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print