Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Rules re movement of cars during rallies (Read 24195 times)
Wedge1

Ontario
Re: Rules re movement of cars during rallies
Reply #45 - 10/13/5 at 21:04:58

AlanO wrote on 10/13/5 at 20:45:20:
Rally people also have a reputation for helping their fellow participants.  Should we start abandoning other competitors when something can be done to keep them in the rally?

I certainly never meant to suggest otherwise.  Just about anyone would stop to pull a stuck car back onto the road.  I've been at both ends of the tow rope in my time.  And that's all cool.  Although I don't think I've ever heard of anyone pulling another competitor all the way through a transit section...

Quote:
 Having more people in your class is fun!  It's always been way more enjoyable for me when I've had good battles in my class - P3 with Dmitri, and P4 and Group N this year.  

Grin I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  There's nothing I love more than a close fight!

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
darryl

Reply #46 - 10/13/5 at 21:33:23

Anyone know what time of year RSO and CARS take suggestions for rule changes for the following year?

Alan, totally agree, transits are a means of getting from one stage to another.

Hi Jeannie, Yes this is Darryl Malone. I'm looking forward to the Lanark event, see you there.

-Darryl

IP Logged
bobjim
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #47 - 10/13/5 at 23:49:40

I want to comment on some of the things in one of Craig's most recent posts.  Craig is one of the most active and dedicated people in rally today and for this his comments deserve to be carefully and respectfully considered.

As an aside Craig, I in fact did what you suggested, I refrained from making further comments on this while the RSO executive was looking at it and until after their minutes were published.

The 'airing of dirty laundry in public' I accept as a legitimate concern.  The only thing that I would ask is that as you chastise those of us suggesting in public that our rules should be followed, that you spend at least equal time chastising those who advocate in the same public forum that it is not important to follow the rules.

I think that an organization can in fact be seen in a positive light if in public it tells all who read that it is committed to conducting it affairs so that its rules are followed.  Sure mistakes are made from time to time but if it is shown that the organization has the systems and will in place to discover and fix its errors, then public perception should be enhanced.

A  really good and important example of this is taking place at Rally America.  Mike Hurst the Technical Director is now conducting technical compliance inspections on a regular sample basis before, after and during all Rally America championship events.  In so doing he has achieved two things.  He has sent a clear message to competitors that they will be held responsible for ensuring their vehicles meet the RA technical rules.  At the same time his efforts have significantly enhanced the creditability of Rally America within and outside of the rally community.  I would suggest that if we seriously promoted compliance with rules, we might just be able to achieve some of the same enhanced creditability ?

IP Logged
bobjim
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #48 - 10/14/5 at 00:18:04

The night is very late and dark and I suspect that this will be my last post.

I have been extremely discouraged by things that I have read in this discussion.  It appears that some people really don't understand the real point here (please read the first word in the title of this forum since day one).   Additionally the comments from a number of our current "stars" suggesting that it is OK  to break our rules is similarly very disheartening.

Rules are rules are rules.  

While they are in place it is the responsibility of all involved - competitor, official, whoever, to do everything reasonably possible to see that the rules are adhered to.  If certain rules are bad, then they should be changed or officially suspended.  Until that takes place they are the rules that need to be followed.  From the posts in this discussion it appears that many people either don't understand or share this viewpoint.

While I have no intention of changing my personal opinion as to the need to follow rules, to end this (as suggested by Craig for one) I am prepared to surrender and toss in the towel if someone can answer one short and simple question.

How do we know which rules we are supposed to follow and which rules it is OK to break ?

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #49 - 10/14/5 at 11:05:47

bobjim wrote on 10/14/5 at 00:18:04:
Rules are rules are rules.  

While they are in place it is the responsibility of all involved - competitor, official, whoever, to do everything reasonably possible to see that the rules are adhered to.  If certain rules are bad, then they should be changed or officially suspended.  Until that takes place they are the rules that need to be followed.

I agree.

Jeannie

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #50 - 10/14/5 at 11:45:54

As do I.

The stewards are aware of what happened.

As for rule changes, the period for rule submissions to CARS has passed for '06.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #51 - 10/14/5 at 17:36:14

No. Dont get me wrong, I totally agree, rules need to be followed.  I don't think it's good to break ANY rules.  Trust me on this one. Not sure where I said otherwise.  I can't even say as though I'm real happy about people trailering their cars around on transits for the many good reasons stated by others. (Targa is a different beast, not as clear)

I'm definitely glad you took official routes.  I just don't see what more can be done about THIS case.  It's over, it's not that I believe it was technically or morally correct to break rules.  I think you got screwed.  I also don't think there needs to be any rule changes, it's not obvious to me, anyway.  

Other than the Defi event seemed to run very smoothly from my perspective (except for late supper!), I had big concerns about stage/spectator safety, on top of anything that the organisers/marshals *should* have caught on the competitive side.  As far as I'm, concerned, rules were broken by some individuals with important safety responsibilities.

I think some people here are just thinking outside the box, and maybe those ideas are discouraging to you.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print