Beginer (Read 3532 times)
miskis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie Co-driver
looking for
expereience

Beginer
11/25/5 at 18:59:39

Hey everyone, I am new to this website.  I have been a fan for a couple years of rally racing, I always try and watch the ones on TV.  This year will be my first year going to watch one live, but I am really interested in trying one for next year.  My mother got me hooked on watching them, so she would want to be my co-driver.  I was wondering if I could get every ones opinion on here, which car would be best for a rookie and what modifications if any we are allowed to do.  We would want to run the production class, we would also want to run the Tall pines for next year.  Anything is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Co-driver looking for a ride for next year
Anyone interested?
  IP Logged
Robert
YaBB Newbies

Re: Beginer
Reply #1 - 11/27/5 at 01:31:49

LOL

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #2 - 11/27/5 at 16:15:27

Jumping in with both feet, eh?

Although it's possible to get a car and start at the Tall Pines, most people start out by doing navigational rally's, then then graduating to regional performance events, before entering a big national performance event.

I would recommend taking that route. You can use any street legal car for navigational rally's, and you'll meet lots of rally people who will help you get started.

If you are serious about building a performance rally car right away, find a good shop/mechanic that can build/maintain the car, and put in the roll cage, all the safety equipment and computer etc.. I think the best way to go for a first car would be a very small FWD car like a Swift, Civic or Golf. You can get the rules through the CARS web site. http://209.250.151.132/CARSRally/

Also know that you can probably buy a used rally car cheaper than it costs to build one from scratch, but you'll still need a service crew to maintain it, a trailer to pull it, a truck to pull the trailer, etc. etc. etc. It's not a cheap hobby.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #3 - 11/27/5 at 19:01:43

That's really great advice from Norm.  I also recommend you try to volunteer at some rallies, navigational or events like the Tall Pines.   You will learn about a lot (and I mean a LOT) of things that will improve your knowledge of the sport, how it works, how it's scored, the pile of rules etc.

Starting off in navigational rallies will give you and your mother a chance to work on being a strong, trusting, sure-footed, team at much (very much) lower speeds, for MUCH lower cost, before you spend a wad of cash on a rally car, and strap yourself in for a wild ride.

If for some (bizarre) reason you, or others, think navigational  (or "road rallying") is for sissies, think again, not only have a lot of the drivers and co-drivers YOU see at Tall Pines (and every other stage rally) started in road rallying, some world famous people started there, too:

"Spectating was my introduction to the most exciting motorsport in the world. It wasn’t even the screaming monsters in the World Rally Championship that set my pulse racing… No, it was watching local club road rallies. "
-Nicky Grist
(http://www.nickygrist.com/)

That's good enough for me.
Craig

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #4 - 11/28/5 at 08:05:09

My 92 swift rally car is for sale
1 800 344 5224
Check the for sale page
Ian

I might be having too much fun....
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #5 - 11/28/5 at 08:33:05

C. Hamm wrote on 11/27/5 at 19:01:43:
If for some (bizarre) reason you, or others, think navigational  (or "road rallying") is for sissies, think again, not only have a lot of the drivers and co-drivers YOU see at Tall Pines (and every other stage rally) started in road rallying, some world famous people started there, too . . .
Craig

Buffum (this years Tall Pines winner) competed in at least one Ontario navigational rally last year.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #6 - 11/28/5 at 10:49:39

ACP likes to run the Lanark Highlands Rally, and I know it's enjoyed by John Vanos, Ryan Huber, Jaak Laan, Warren Haywood, Jodie Shay and others who compete in stage rallies.

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print