Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
911 rally car (Read 6078 times)
big_Ian

euro trash racing

911 rally car
11/28/5 at 07:58:51

I am thinking building 1976 porsche 911 to rally and retireing the 92 swift

question 1) does anyone have any experience with the 911 's for rally?

question 2) does it have to go in the unlimited class? it either has a 2.4 l engine or a 2.7 l (don't know yet havent picked up the car yet) ???

Question 3) If that is the case how would one get a rule change to mabey get it put into group 2 (still not that competive in that class but at least a fighting chance not to last) Embarrassed

I might be having too much fun....
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Re: 911 rally car
Reply #1 - 11/28/5 at 08:45:10

This guy seems to have done a lot of research on building an off-road Porsche that may help you along the way: http://www.ki7xh.com/porsche.htm

Mike Hurst drove a 911 in Group 5 in the states in the mid 90's. http://www.rallyracingnews.com/teams/bio-mhurst.html

I recall seeing a 911 on a US entry list a year or two ago, but I don't recall who's it was. A web search of US rally entry lists might come up with something.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Reply #2 - 11/28/5 at 13:13:21

I know Robert Cutler drove a 911 at the Lake Superior ProRally this past October.

I don't know how to contact him, but if you ask around on www.specialstage.com, you'll probably find someone who knows him.

Jeff

Edit - here's some information for the first of your other two questions:

2) The portion of the CARS rulebook that deals with vehicle preparation and class eligibility is online here: http://209.250.151.132/CARSRally/Portals/0/2005_Rules_NRR%20II_e.pdf

The class will depend on engine displacement and what modifications you make.  

To check if you're eligible for Group 2, use the factors on page B-19; multiply the actual displacement by all of the relevant factors to get your adjusted displacement (e.g. a 2000 cc pushrod engine with 4 valves per cylinder would be 2000 x 0.8 x 1.15 = 1840) - if your adjusted displacement is higher than 2400 cc, you're ineligible for Group 2.  You didn't mention if your 911 has a turbo - Group 2 cars must be normally aspirated.

For Production class, you'd be in P4, since either engine you mentioned is more than 2000 cc.  All modifications to the car would have to meet Production rules.

If you can't fit into either Group 2 or P4, the car would be classed as Open.

« Last Edit: 11/28/5 at 15:42:05 by Jeff_Hagan »  
WWW   IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #3 - 11/28/5 at 16:04:30

Thanks guys I will look into that Grin
Ian

IP Logged
GeeJay
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 12/07/5 at 00:32:39

Talk to John Buffum, of 911 "Lets Boogie" fame!

He had a lot of success with 911s (or anything else he cared to drive!).

John was always willing to give good advice.

There are many bold rally drivers and there are many old rally drivers.

But there are very few old, bold rally drivers!
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #5 - 12/07/5 at 09:52:12

Here's a great photo of the 911 on this year's Lake Superior Rally.

http://gallery.onalimbracing.com/2005lspr/62_G

WWW   IP Logged
Jaak
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 12/09/5 at 11:21:05

Wonderful photo...can almost hear that glorious engine sound.  The world needs more 911 air cooled rally cars.

IP Logged
rightseat
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 01/23/6 at 18:26:29

if you ran an early short wheelbase 911 with the 2-liter motor, you'd qualify for Gp 2 no prob.

early 911s had dual two-barrel webers, 1998 cc, about 130-140-hp

rally 911 probs:

--ground clearance under engine sump; expensive stuff under there, whack a big rock and your checkbook croaks

--rear susp trailing arm fragility; 911's achilles heel on rough roads. one bolt holds the rear arms in place, and this bolt does NOT appreciate high lateral shock loads. IE, smack stuff while car is totally sideways (common 911 cornering tactic) and your checkbook croaks

--expensive body work: a replacement 911 hood is over $1000, and that's for a "cheap" aftermarket piece. rear quarters run even more, they're welded onto shell and not easlily replaceable. whack a big rock (or tree/guardrail/frozen snowbank) and your checkbook croaks

--cancer susceptibility: the dread tinworm rules on early 911s, and fixing the rust makes your checkbook croak.  the post-76 galvanized cars with 3-liter motors would bump you into Gp 5...but that's now a CARS legal class, so go for it!

if you run a 911, you should name your team JAM Rally...JAM, as in "Just Apply Money".

Dave G
Last Ditch Racing
former 911 pedaler, current Scooby pilote cuz it's more cost-effective

Dave G
Chief Tow Strap Deployment Officer
www.lastditchracing.net
WWW   IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #8 - 01/23/6 at 22:18:13

Hey Dave I am almost ready to get log book on 911 and hopefully be ready for pierce neige.

I am going to take a look at that rear suspension a little closer....

any experience on modding the swingarm set up...advice?

have you seen Ron? is he ralling at all?
Cheers Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
rightseat
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 01/24/6 at 08:26:09

wow, the 911 is almost ready for PN? that'll be awesome.

the trailing arm issue was mainly a headache on tarmac rallies. lateral loads on gravel are not as bad--long as you don't bounce the car off the scenery too much! Tongue

If you get the car logbooked in time for PN, you will probably need some serious shakedown time...like on the recce.

see you up there, how is the snowpack and how are the roads in Maniwaki area?

Dave G

Dave G
Chief Tow Strap Deployment Officer
www.lastditchracing.net
WWW   IP Logged
Andrew_Harvey

Reply #10 - 01/24/6 at 11:02:44

There were a number of different 911's at Targa.  I'd love to see one on the gravel and snow in Canada though.

Andrew

Andrew Harvey Photography
www.andrewharvey.ca
WWW   IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #11 - 01/24/6 at 21:14:49

I am in ont and there is no snow here at the moment but I am sure they have lots in Maniwaki , thanks for the input dave I will try to keep from smashing it up. I took it for a spin today and it is a handfull compared to the swift....... should be a laugh though Grin

Nice pics andrew!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print