Send Topic Print
Out of Gas! (Read 2850 times)
Muskoka_signtist
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Out of Gas!
12/01/5 at 09:10:00

Justy to let everyone know that even with this sorted tale. I really enjoyed this years pines and hopefully didn't make too much of an ass of myself.
What follows is a stage by stage account of the day in the Justy.

Parc expose to ATC#1
-Had to stop in transit to tighten lug nuts. There was a whole lota shaken going on. Most possible cause would be torking in a warm garage then letting the car sit outside all night.

Stage #1
-Loose nut on shifter anchor on downshift and can't get out of neutral. Stop on stage to repair, with help from the locals finding a nut that would work, while repairing car bursts the lower rad hose conntection. Managed to fix both problems and finish stage with three minutes to spare on a max late.

Transit #1
-stopped to check hose connection, checked ok and continued to ATC #2.
-Checked into ATC #2 6 minutes too early and recive 6 minute penalty.

Stage #2
-Flawless - alot of fun on this first spectator stage. Made three of the four important corners including the bridge really well.
-Stage time of  6:39

Transit to Service #1
-Severe overheat, almost sieze motor. Stop on transit to cool off find lower hose has come undone again and drained all coolent, for how long "who knows?"
-Sweep informs me of picking up the skid plate.
Completet another repair on stage and get some extra water from kind resident on road, check into TCS #1 five minutes late assigned .50 second penalty.

Service #1
-Manage to get help from just about everyone, including Mr. Stewart Hoo, We pieced the hose
connection back together and got the fan working.
-Misscalculated and checked out of service two minutes early assigned 2 minute penalty

Transit to Stage #3
-No incidents

Stage #3
-Car running well until we hit a large water crossing really hard and got swamped.
-Car stops on stage. Fix quickly with "dry n' go"
-Still finish stage on time.

Tranit to stage #4
-Went without incident but miscalculated and arrived into contol one minute
early. assigned one minute penalty.

Stage #4
-Clean stage ran stong to our best place of the day 36th OA.

Tranisit to stage #5
-Went without incident.
-however the amount of smoke comming from our exhaust was ever increasing.

Stage #5 second spectator stage.
-Started well  but a leak in the head gasket (from previouse overheat) was causing the engine to heat up again. Suffered power loss about half way through stage stopped to investigate. No solution found kept running to end of stage and back to
service #2.

Service #2
-engine smoking bad at this time also arrived 2 minutes early gaining yet another 2 minute penalty.
-Stewart Hoo and crew proceeded to find cause of lack of power, a plug wire had come out letting us run on two cylinders for most of the last stage and transit. Also re-torked head to try and stop leak in gasket. Had huge gathering of spectators and media for this service, was quite a sight to see. Got out of service  9 minutes late incuring another 1 and a half minute
penalty.

Transit to stage #6
-Notice that throttle cable has come out of place in service giving only 3/4 throttle either off or on, no inbetween or more. In confusion of being late from service checked in 7 minutes early to time controll earning yet another 7 minute penalty. (you think by this time someone would have let us know we were doing our math wrong eh.)

Stage #6
Stage acctually went very smooth ran most of it in 4th gear.
Stage time of 12:56
-however I missed the controll at end, and reversed to get our time (oops) incured major time penalty of 10 minutes. (note that I have a marshall telling me to go back on film)

Transit to stage #7
-Lost other bolt on gearshift linkage, stopped to fix with zip-tie.
-checked in on time (Hooray)

Stage #7
-Went fine until the iron bridge when zip-tie broke leaving me in first gear, tryed to fix on stage again with another zip-tie righ infront of main spectator area. Unsucessfull and finish stage still in first gear.

Transit to Service #3
-upon leaving stage #7 time controll stopped to fix linkage again, turned out that the zip-tie just need tighted a little, went to pull away and the motor stalled never to start again. Thought we may have run out of gas, (as it is noted to my dismay in the scoring) However upon further investigation it seems that the set screw in the rotor had fallen out and jammed itself against the diode therefore throwing out the ignition timing. (Hard to belive but True)

Given only seven minutes to return from bronson rd to the service park I Decided that the justy would have to DNF.

30:20 in penalties over seven stages seems more like a max time out than out
of gas eh.

My thanks go out to all the great people who helped us out all day. From the spectators on upper hastings who found a nut to fix the linkage, to Stewart Hoo and Subaru Canada for their support at service. It was an enjoyable yet tiring experience that I'll never forget.

Jeff Dixon
Three Idiot Rally Team

IP Logged
miskis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie Co-driver
looking for
expereience

Re: Out of Gas!
Reply #1 - 12/01/5 at 10:00:37

I admire your dedication to that justy, I just hope that when I do my first rally nothing like that happens to me.

Co-driver looking for a ride for next year
Anyone interested?
  IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #2 - 12/02/5 at 00:03:53

Why are you not doing transits etc on time?  I haven't stage rallied, but it's not supposed to be difficult (and I'm not trying to insult you, either).  I'm sure there are a ton of people willing to help you with that one. Also, if you haven't, do some road rallies, the timing is more difficult than stage rallies, and if you can figure those basics out, you're all set. Great to hear it was a big, fun, adventure, though!! Press On.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Robert Roaldi

Check your mirrors.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #3 - 12/03/5 at 09:08:53

Muskoka_signtist,

They don't make twist-ties like they used to, that's for sure.

Were it up to me, I'd give you an award for your perseverance.

Robert

IP Logged
big_Ian

euro trash racing

Reply #4 - 12/04/5 at 02:39:14

I have got a real nice swift for sale........

I might be having too much fun....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print