Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart vs Mazda 3 GT (Read 5121 times)
Deo_Q
YaBB Newbies

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart vs Mazda 3 GT
12/17/5 at 18:41:47

HI,

I just need some oppinions regarding this two.
I need a new car and I was also thinking about participating/volunteering in the beginer races around ontario ( the ones for the regular street cars). Which one would you guys think would be the most suited and reliable for that. I test drove both of then and I like the looks of the 2006 Mazda but the Ralliart seemed more powerfull to me.
Any other suggestions regarding other new cars in this class and around 20k are welcome.
Thank you!

IP Logged
nhibbert

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart vs Mazda 3 GT
Reply #1 - 12/18/5 at 18:19:40

If you're serious about having fun driving on back roads then you have to consider an all wheel drive vehicle. The Subaru Impreza 2.5i is the same price as the Ralliart, has more hp and has full time AWD.

Compare:http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison;jsessionid=DltZnhq1rrk...

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #2 - 12/18/5 at 23:11:02

Consult the experts.   That's my advice to anybody.

I would go see what Phil Edmonston has to say (author of the Lemon-Aid guide)(if you don't want to buy it go to Chapters, take 5 minutes and read what he has to say about your two prospects) .  He's  brutally honest and does not always say what you want to hear - but at least you've been warned...

I also consult his Used car guide (even if I am purchasing a new car).   I like to see for how many years he keeps a car on his recommended list.  For some cars it's two years, others more then five.  It's not totally scientific but allows for a more educated guess as to what will stay reliable longest.  

I am guessing he would be hesitant about the Lancer on account of the dealer network and whether they will be around when you need them - which in turn can affect resale values.  They may be less of an issue with Sub or Mazda.  

Good Luck, Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
ktibi79

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 12/19/5 at 15:05:29

No more Subaru. PLEEEEEEEEEASE!   Tongue

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #4 - 12/19/5 at 19:04:56

Well, if you're looking to go with "affordable" AWD, with a proven history.... then subaru just makes sense.

I personally am an older Audi guy.... and I keep finding more to add to the stable... but I still know that atleast with Subaru, I have aftermarket support.... with the older Audi's... pretty much everything is custom.

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 12/20/5 at 13:03:51

nhibbert : If you're serious about having fun driving on back roads then you have to consider an all wheel drive vehicle.

HUH????  Norm, with much respect, this is not great advice.  Nothing against Subies, great cars obviously, but one can enter rallying at lower cost, and probably become a better driver in the long run, in a more affordable FWD car.  Arguably it's MORE fun in a FWD car, because you have to do more 'driving' the car, without all the drivetrain advantages offered by AWD.  If we want to grow the sport we need to offer lower cost alternatives to newcomers.  Ask Louis C. if he's serious about driving on backroads in his 85 Tercel when he wins a few winter rallies.  For road rally, it's much less about horsepower and AWD, than outright speed and ultimate traction.  Smooth, precise, and consistent driving is rewarded in road rally rather than horsepower or a particular brand name/ drivetrain. Again, nothing against Subie, or Audi etc. that's not my point.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #6 - 12/20/5 at 17:55:19

Craig makes a good point... nothing stopping a fwd car..... but I think horsepower makes a big difference though.... a light weight, low powered fwd car will probably be faster and easier to control than a slightly heavier car with way more power.  Heck, I'm running low power all wheel drive... just as fast in the corners, just not as fast in the straights.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #7 - 12/20/5 at 18:27:31

Craig

I have nothing against FWD cars, but AWD on gravel or snow is much more controllable (and thus less of a challenge, which could be interpreted as less fun). If the cars in question are the Lancer and the Mazda3 then the Subaru 2.5i is comparable car whcih should be considered. It gives you more HP and AWD and arguably a stronger car, for the same money.

A Golf might also be a good comparable car. Wink

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Deo_Q
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 12/21/5 at 22:20:54

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR OPPINIONS. I , PERSONALLY, PREFER FWD SINCE THEY ARE MORE CHALLENGING AND FUN TO DRIVE IN TOUGH CONDITIONS.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print