Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
timed event (TSD) insurance (Read 3603 times)
johnnyfantastic
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

timed event (TSD) insurance
01/18/6 at 09:15:02

Hi.  I've got a question about inurance during a TSD event -

From everything I've read, it seems that insurance policies do not cover timed events (e.g. TSD rallies), even if the event is run on open roads under posted speed limits.  My biggest concern with this is liability coverage - accidents do happen, and if on a TSD I happen to hit a pedestrian or a car and then find out my liability coverage was void - well, I guess the problems are obvious.

So, I love participating in TSD events, but now that I'm married I'm thinking it's irresponsible of me to compete until I am completely covered during the event.

Any thoughts??

IP Logged
Jeff_Hagan

ON
Re: timed event (TSD) insurance
Reply #1 - 01/18/6 at 11:00:56

To start off with, there tends to be a lot of rumour and misinformation about rallying and insurance.  I think it's useful to go back to what the policy actually says.

The clause that gets people worried is this one from the Ontario Automobile Policy:

Quote:
1.4.6    You agree not to use or allow anyone to use the automobile in a race or speed test or for any illegal trade or transportation.

The Ontario Automobile Policy is common to all insurance providers in Ontario; by law, all Ontario auto insurance must use this policy for personal auto insurance.

There have been very few claimable accidents on TSDs since I became involved in the sport (I can only think of two off the top of my head in the past 8 years or so, and one of those was a marshal, not a competitor), so I don't have much practical information on how this clause is actually applied.

To me, a car in a TSD rally is no more taking part in a "speed test" than a public bus running to a schedule, but I'm definitely not a lawyer and definitely not the final word on this issue.

Hopefully someone who has been through the claims process after an accident on a TSD rally is out there who can chime in now.

Regards,

Jeff Hagan

WWW   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #2 - 01/18/6 at 11:20:18

not a lawyer either, but I would assume it can be successfully argued that a "speed test" need not test how fast a car can go. Ultimately, TSD is a speed test - one of accuracy rather then "how high can you go", but that's what CAS is all about...

Other aspect, even more clouded by rumours and misinformation by its nature, is what the insurance company will do to your claim & policy outside of the strictly legal realm. Maybe they cannot deny your claim outright, maybe they can't even sue you afterwards - but there's little to stop them from dropping you in various ways, none of which are likely to be convenient or beneficial to you.

That's the scary side, of course. The practical side appears to be mostly a matter of "Don't ask, don't tell".

Best suggestion, overall, that I've heard so far, is to move to one of our neighbouring provinces Smiley

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #3 - 01/18/6 at 18:45:59

Jeff_Hagan wrote on 01/18/6 at 11:00:56:
To me, a car in a TSD rally is no more taking part in a "speed test" than a public bus running to a schedule, but I'm definitely not a lawyer and definitely not the final word on this issue.

Hmm.... good point!

So, does this mean we all need bus insurance now?  heheh

Unfortunately, insurance companies don't tend to like it when you use your car for just about anything... the bottom line is they are there to make money, and if they feel you are a risk, they won't insure you.  Nobody likes giving away their money!

IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/18/6 at 20:54:47

This question was raised at the CASC AGM in Nov. CASC now have a committee studying it. As reported by CASC despite all the rumours they have only had proof of two people getting dropped by Insurance in both cases while Motorsport was mentioned there seemed to be other reasons. I believe to many speeding tickets in one case.

Personally I have discussed rally with my insurance company locally the head Office perhaps another story.
The neat thing is years ago we ran a charity TSD Rally my insurance company entered 8 yes 8 cars. Should they ever hassle me I will point that out to them

Pete G
  IP Logged
gully

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 01/18/6 at 20:54:57

This question was raised at the CASC AGM in Nov. CASC now have a committee studying it. As reported by CASC despite all the rumours they have only had proof of two people getting dropped by Insurance in both cases while Motorsport was mentioned there seemed to be other reasons. I believe to many speeding tickets in one case.

Personally I have discussed rally with my insurance company locally the head Office perhaps another story.
The neat thing is years ago we ran a charity TSD Rally my insurance company entered 8 yes 8 cars. Should they ever hassle me I will point that out to them

Pete G
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print