Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CONGRATULATIONS KEITH & JUD (Read 6415 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

CONGRATULATIONS KEITH & JUD
01/29/6 at 17:23:38

Congratulations to Keith Townsend and Jud Buchanan for organizing the Subaru Winter Rally.  It was a huge success.  The 37 teams that ran it were treated to a very carefully planned event that was totally professional in its execution.

The route covered a wide range of very challenging roads and road conditions.

Thanks, guys.

IP Logged
Nuwan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Re: CONGRATULATIONS KEITH & JUD
Reply #1 - 01/29/6 at 19:44:32

I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the event, thanks to everyone that put the event together and hopfully I'll be able to enjoy the whole event next year Smiley

Nuwan D
1992 Legacy Turbo
"understeer is when the driver is scared, oversteer is when the passengers are scared"
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #2 - 01/29/6 at 23:24:16

for those of us who missed it and had to stay answering support calls Wink, can some of the competitors share the stories of the event? Smiley

We'd love to hear them!

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 01/30/6 at 13:23:02

Ice, ice, and more ice! Well, mix it with bare gravel and a bit of snow, and that pretty much sums up the rally. Hard to walk back to checkpoints! I distinctly remember Ross telling me to hurry and move my car up, and I already was planning that, because I had barely stopped where I was, didn't want someone to slide into me!

Anyways, yeah, extremely variable conditions made it very challenging, probably the hardest winter rally I've ever done. Leg A times that were supposed to be easy and boring turned out to be almost impossible, and got me really worried about what the later legs would be like!

Somehow, I've gotta work on confidence over crests, I'm always backing off too much and it hurts my ability to stay on time!  Wink

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #4 - 01/30/6 at 14:52:43

Quote:
I've gotta work on confidence over crests, I'm always backing off too much and it hurts my ability to stay on time!  Wink

Backing off too late, however, will hurt your ability to stay on the road.  Roll Eyes

Excellent event!  Hats off.

Keith & Jud have raised the bar in the level of organisation.  I liked the big screen, with Targa pre-show, Powerpoint slides for the driver's meeting, and scoring details screened while breakfast is being served.  It'll be tough to ever beat that standard.

Just one very small suggestion though...

It's about those roads, eh.  Next time, when you send the water trucks out on the route to ice down the roads like that, could you please ensure the water is applied evenly and that they don't miss any spots?  When drifting on ice it's really disconcerting/life-saving to suddenly find a spot of bare gravel in mid-corner, eh.  Shocked

It's just a suggestion, but you might want to keep it mind for the next event.

Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #5 - 01/31/6 at 19:06:00

This event had a very professional flair to it, particularly at the Start/Finish.  Great, clean, large venue. Workers appeared well looked after with sponsored clothing, and we all had "Targa munchies" for the big screen showing.  Excuse me, is this is a road rally?  Wow!  Course measurements were generally right on the money throughout.  Challenging? It was a full 10000000 out of 10 on the old sphinctometer for sure.  After nearly going off PRIOR to CP1, I knew this would be a tough event to finish.  I thought Frostbite 2003 was tough with grip changing all the time, and it was, but this was insanely hard and nerveracking!  Only did I find out at the breaks and finish that everybody else thought the same thing.  

Anybody out there wanting to dive straight into stage rallying, and *thinks* all TSDs are too slow or for wimps, haven't done an Ontario drivex yet, and good luck to you, fool!  I'm just glad I finished.  An event I shall never forget.

Congrats to top finishers, and ask anybody with the results to show you the score of those guys in the 85 Tercel. One mistake from a win.  I am not worthy to check their tire pressures.  Rally on!

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #6 - 02/01/6 at 00:05:33

(are results posted online yet? I haven't been able to dig them up on the SWR website, but I may be looking in all the wrong places as usual  Grin )

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
mart242
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 02/01/6 at 08:45:28

Nikola wrote on 02/01/6 at 00:05:33:
(are results posted online yet? I haven't been able to dig them up on the SWR website, but I may be looking in all the wrong places as usual  Grin )

You should have received them by email if you were a competitor. They won't be posted anywhere.

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #8 - 02/01/6 at 09:36:28

huh... fascinating.

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
mart242
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 02/01/6 at 10:27:22

Nikola wrote on 02/01/6 at 09:36:28:
huh... fascinating.

They contain too much information (full names) and apparently they had problems with that in the past, same thing for the no public videos policy.

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #10 - 02/01/6 at 10:44:13

oh, absolutely, I understand the issues, believe me!  Grin

(though, it's not ranking high on the consistency scale; results with only car numbers would still provide valuable info such as how tough the competition is, and how many DNFs were etc. No worries though, I'll peak at a copy from one of the competitors Smiley )

Even without stats, it seems like it was brutal though... suddenly I'm not sure how sorry I am that I had to miss it! (not in terms of organization which by all accounts was superb, but rather sheer survival!!  Embarrassed )

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
mart242
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 02/01/6 at 12:42:17

Nikola wrote on 02/01/6 at 10:44:13:
results with only car numbers would still provide valuable info such as how tough the competition is, and how many DNFs were etc. No worries though, I'll peak at a copy from one of the competitors Smiley )

Even without stats, it seems like it was brutal though... suddenly I'm not sure how sorry I am that I had to miss it! (not in terms of organization which by all accounts was superb, but rather sheer survival!!  Embarrassed )

37 entries, 26 finished.  We DNF after leg B because I was too car sick.  I don't know why the other teams DNF (sick? mechanical?).  

IP Logged
Nuwan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ontario
Reply #12 - 02/04/6 at 03:42:12

I was out from over heating diffs, another out for broken rim/flat, another out for back ache.

Nuwan D
1992 Legacy Turbo
"understeer is when the driver is scared, oversteer is when the passengers are scared"
  IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #13 - 02/04/6 at 13:33:25

I had to drop out due to a wrecked tire (and rim). I was too busy looking out for ice that I forgot to look out for rocks. Although I had a "full sized" spare (two actually) they were slightly smaller than the tires I had on. So I couldn't safely continue.

Nuwan and I kept each other company on the drive home.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print