Re: Perce-Neige
Reply #15 - 02/06/6 at 07:59:51

Ian must had a pure fun with the porsche.   8)..poor subaru

IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #16 - 02/06/6 at 09:40:03

Congrats to Ian in the Porsche for a fine drive!

Now, to our the event...We took it VERY easily for the whole day, in fact we set better stage times last year in the RS. We have some work to do on the handling of the car (and the drivers confidence!!!) but aside from that the car ran flawlesly, it was incredible given it was the first time out for a new car!

So, taking it easy everywhere, come to a L1 down hill im going literally 20km/h or so as it as SUPER icy, i was on the inside and got sucked into the place where some had cut the corner and we found a rock the size of a basketball which immediately flatted the tire broke and bent the control arm badly. We limped for ~2km to a safe place and changed the tire and limped out of that stage and through the following stage to service where the boys were able to change the control arm in under 10mins! So we were back in it but just wanted to finish as there was little point in pushing the car when we had lost over 30 mins and were far out of contention so we cruised to the finish and we met the goal of finishing the event.

I have a lot to learn about this new car and a lot of setup changes to make. Once I do that and get my confidence back I think we will be a lot quicker and should be able to set some much quicker times

PS Ferd, got any boring vids of us?

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
robin

5 right - sh*t, I
mean 3 right ...
over crest!

Reply #17 - 02/06/6 at 10:19:28

Well you played it smart John - that L1 in Kitigan was bad luck - we could've just as easily hit that rock as we had to bounce of the snowbank in order to get slowed for the corner..

Ferdinand's video of us shows what was indicative for a lot of teams.  A. L'Estage told us after the rally that he had spent a lot of time snowbank surfing and that judging by Erickson's tracks, he was running the stages like a bobsleigh run!

We got stuck in a snowbank on the next stage for 17 minutes before the Wallbanks pulled us out (thanks boys!) - thanks also to David & Stewart who stopped to pull us out - but got stuck themselves!  Beer is owed...

After getting out, we figured we'd have fun and try to learn something.  So with Martin pushing to drive faster and me slowing him down he ended up setting two 3rd-fastest stage times incl. the monster 50km Harold stage and had a total blast along the way.  

Martin says he hates ice & snow, but he may have to change his tune...

Tough rally.

Robin Fleguel

edit:  stoopid me:  a big thanks also to Chris and Phil who were stranded down the road and spent the whole time pushing and digging.

« Last Edit: 02/06/6 at 17:30:47 by robin »  
  IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #18 - 02/06/6 at 11:07:10

John_Vanos wrote on 02/06/6 at 09:40:03:
Ferd, got any boring vids of us?

http://media.putfile.com/Vanos25

WWW   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #19 - 02/06/6 at 19:48:58

Ontario folks ran the start of Kitigan Zibi. We drove out afterwards.  In some places there were major tire tracks (car tracks) in outside snowbanks!  The banks were huge, and lasted about 30 km!  We measured the elevations on Kitigan, the stage elevation changes at least 500 ft over it's length/ On that downhill bobsled run into the left, it's a big part of that elevation drop.  Nice view.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
John_Vanos
YaBB Moderator

Reply #20 - 02/06/6 at 20:00:04

Craig, that is where we borked our control arm!  I was going SO slow and it didnt matter!!!

Loved that stage last year....not so much this year!

2006 OPRC Driver Champion
2012/2013 OPRC Codriver Champion

MLRC Vice President
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #21 - 02/06/6 at 22:16:45

That's where Wallbank did his too. Nasty, nasty spot!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #22 - 02/06/6 at 22:54:16

Well, while you guys were out having fun wrecking control arms, I was in the garage putting new bushings on mine. Figure I better get them done since Black Bear is just around the corner Roll Eyes.
I'd have loved to have been there but the fine people at McMaster university decided it would be fun to make me write a test on a saturday morning.
Anyways, congratulations to everyone, it looked like fun. Anyone have any idea as to when it will be on TV?

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 02/06/6 at 23:07:49

I believe the t.v. is intended to start in September, then run all the shows close together,  but the schedule has not been finalized yet.

Ross

IP Logged
Alex Korovkine
YaBB Newbies

Reply #24 - 02/07/6 at 08:32:26

Looks like it was fatal spot for many cars.
We bend our control arm at the same spot.
For me it looked like there was a log under snow.
When we got back to maniwaki I found pieces of wood stuck between tire and wheel.

IP Logged
Andrew_W-_ISUZU
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 02/07/6 at 08:54:46

hi there.

anyone got photos or vid of the blue ISUZU IMPULSE... #31

we had an eventful expereince and saw lots of cameras flashing.

found lots of snowbanks, and got a tonne of help form fellow competitors including the Clearwater Porsche team.

unfortuantely our care was badly damaged at that point and we were unable to continue. I have in car video of the days incidents and I will post them the video is complete.

we were able to pull out Donnelly on stage 2 and he managed to finsih the event I believe. that was very gratifying as we were the last AWD to pass him, and prolly his last chance to get out, before sweep

thanks AW

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #26 - 02/07/6 at 09:56:18

Andrew_W-_ISUZU wrote on 02/07/6 at 08:54:46:
anyone got photos or vid of the blue ISUZU IMPULSE... #31

http://media.putfile.com/Wallbank

WWW   IP Logged
GlennHamilton
YaBB Newbies

Old Age &
Treachery

Reply #27 - 02/07/6 at 11:14:53

I wondered if anyone had any video of Alan Ryall and Jim Morrow in the yellow WRX?

Thanks

Glenn

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #28 - 02/07/6 at 11:31:17

GlennHamilton wrote on 02/07/6 at 11:14:53:
... any video of Alan Ryall and Jim Morrow in the yellow WRX?

http://media.putfile.com/Ryall18

WWW   IP Logged
Jaak
YaBB Newbies

Reply #29 - 02/07/6 at 11:39:48

How our one-wheel drive Civic pulled you out of one snowbank was miraculous...I couldn't believe my eyes.  You guys are the most cheerful stuck in snow people I know!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print