Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OWR NEWS FEb. 16 06 Part One (Read 3004 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

OWR NEWS FEb. 16 06 Part One
02/16/6 at 12:01:43

Now only two days to go until the 2006 Ontario Winter Rally and counting down.  We are at 59 entries with a very competitive field. I assume you have been following the website at www.mlrc.ca  While there, also check out the Message Forum.

WEATHER & ROAD CONDITIONS

The weather is presenting a really interesting scenario.  Two days ago a fresh snow left absolutely perfect winter driving conditions – pure white, snowy roads with good snowbanks.  But now a heavy snow is forecast followed by a mess of freezing rain, followed by extreme cold,  so who knows what conditions will result?   At the moment I have no plans to go over there today or tomorrow,  but if my curiosity gets the better of me,  I may wander over tomorrow (Friday) afternoon.  If I do,  I will definitely send a report to you Friday evening.    

REGISTRATION & STARTING ORDER

We have posted the Start Order on the website. Any entries coming in after this can expect to run at the back.  If there are any missing details or changes in your Registration information,  please contact Kym, our Registrar,  at kym@tallpinesrally.com  At Registration you must present your vehicle registration papers, proof of valid insurance and a valid driver’s licence. If you are using a borrowed vehicle,  you must present a letter of permission from the owner.

Cash rebates will be given out a registration - $10 for any team where both members are current MLRC members.  Proof of membership is your responsibility.

To reduce pressure,  Registration will open at 7:30 PM.  Drivers’ Meeting will be at 9:35 and first car leaves at 10:01.  Teams will receive their Route Instructions 10 minutes prior to their Start Time.

TRIANGLES

Reminder – every team must carry at least one reflective triangle.  It must be 40 cm (16 inches) and self-supporting.  Every team must show their triangle at Checkpoint One before being allowed to continue (no time allowance).

QUIET ZONES

There will be some Quiet Zones in the rally marked as BQZ (Begin Quiet Zone) and EQZ (End Quiet Zone) in the Route Book. This year we have made those zones much more conspicuous in the instructions. These are areas that are sensitive for the OWR and Tall Pines.  Please cooperate.  While in a Quiet Zone,  you must DIM YOUR LIGHTS  (no auxiliary lights on),  follow the lowered average speed precisely and run as quietly as possible and generally be unobtrusive.  There will be Quiet Zone “police” out there checking (with radar).  Violators of any of the QZ requirements will receive a minimum of a  FIVE  minute time penalty.

PARKING & GAS

Be sure to fill up with gas at Wood’s Gas Bar in Coe Hill before the Start.  They will have lots of regular and premium gas.  The new owners, Duane and Loriann,  are staying open late for us and are very excited about the rally. They are planning to have some simple hot food and coffee available.  Please try to patronize them and be friendly.  The relationship we have in the community is extremely important to us (and you).

Parking at the Limerick Community Centre is limited.  Please conserve space as much as possible and park so as not be block any other cars.  I suggest that you form a ring first around the perimeter with your car facing in to the centre.  Overflow parking will be on the shoulder of the road.  The rally starts off heading WEST (toward Coe Hill)  on Hwy. 620.  

Workers are requested to park on the road.

There is ample parking at the two mid-rally stops at M & M ESSO in Bancroft.  Please move your vehicle away from the gas pumps as soon as possible.  You will speed up the process by paying in cash.

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Re: OWR NEWS FEb. 16 06 Part One
Reply #1 - 02/16/6 at 15:47:58

rosswood wrote on 02/16/6 at 12:01:43:
... While in a Quiet Zone,  you must:

- DIM YOUR LIGHTS  (no auxiliary lights on)
- follow the lowered average speed precisely
- run as quietly as possible and generally be unobtrusive.

There will be Quiet Zone “police” out there checking (with radar).

Hi Ross. I don't want to make myself a target by being too much of a pest about this, but I have a couple of of questions (again).

First, at the driver's meeting for SWR, a question was asked about dimming lights and the response was that we could use normal high beams, just no "auxiliary lights". That didn't jive with the response you've given previously that we are allowed to show only two LOW BEAM headlights. Period.

My car has quad headlights, so on normal high beam I'd be showing four lights. I always switch to low beams in Quiet Zones anyway (just two lamps showing), but that puts us at a disadvantage to those teams who believe they can run high beams and thus can actually see where they're going.

I know the intent is for us to be unobtrusive, so I'll just shut up about that one and stick to low beams to be certain we won't get penalised. But I'm sure other people are wondering about this too.

The second question is for a clarification of the lowered speed requirement in Quiet Zones.

For example, let's say you're asking us to do CAS 45 within a posted 50 km/h zone. To "precisely follow" the required average speed we would sometimes need to go a bit quicker than 45 to make up for any time we might have spent under 45, like when slowing for corners or stopping at stop signs.

So, in this example, am I correct in assuming the quiet zone police would only be using their radar to enforce the posted speed limit of 50 km/h?  Or are you saying we will get dinged if we exceed 45?

WWW   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/16/6 at 19:03:30

Good questions, Ferdinand.

First re the lights.  If we strictly follow the Supp. Regs. they say, "Drivers must turn off all auxiliary driving lights."  It does not say that you cannot use your high beams,  although we would prefer that you do not.  We have set the speeds in all Quiet Zones low enough that you should be able to safely drive through without high beams and make the required average speed.  But bottom line is, you will only be penalized if you have auxiliary lights on.

Now re the speed.  We understand that you will have to exceed the average required at times to maintain the average,  so there will be a slight amount of leeway,  but if you are in a Quiet Zone with a required average of 45 and our radar clocks you at 55,  you can expect a penalty.  The averages set in Quiet Zones should be very easy to maintain.

While clarifying things,  I received an e mail from two competitors this afternoon asking about Time Outs in Timed to the Minute Controls.  If we strictly follow the rules you can be sent out at the top of the next minute,  no matter what time you arrive e.g. Time In is 8:41:50.  The marshal could assign a Time Out of 8:42:00.  However our marshals are instructed that if you arrive anytime after the 35 second mark,  they are to give you an extra minute, so what will happen is Time In 8:41:50  Time Out 8:43:00.  

However remember that you must always run to what is on the sticker.

Of course this is not an issue for Timed to the Minute controls,  as you get the extra minute anyway.

IP Logged
Ferdinand

Reply #3 - 02/16/6 at 21:27:35

rosswood wrote on 02/16/6 at 19:03:30:
Good questions, Ferdinand.

Alright!  8)  Do I get any brownie points for that?  How about just a head start on Old Hastings?

Quote:
... about Time Outs in Timed to the Minute Controls.  ... our marshals are instructed that if you arrive anytime after the 35 second mark,  they are to give you an extra minute, so what will happen is Time In 8:41:50  Time Out 8:43:00.

Excellent.  That's a big relief.  So I won't need to break my neck (again) trying to run to the checkpoint and back in ten seconds flat (as in flat on my back) on the slippery ice.

Quote:
Of course this is not an issue for Timed to the Minute Second controls,  as you get the extra minute anyway.

You did mean to say Timed to the Second for that one, right?

WWW   IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #4 - 02/16/6 at 22:29:14

Actually Ferdinand... the question about the headlights is a good one... cause right now, I'm in the same boat as you are; I've got no aux. lights on the car, but a dual-round setup.  Somehow, with all the other prep i'm doing on friday night, I doubt i'll get a light bar build.

IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/16/6 at 22:34:19

Ferdinand,

Yes I meant in Timed to the Tenth (second) Controls.

Ross

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print