HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rallycrosses in 2006? (Read 7049 times)
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Rallycrosses in 2006?
02/24/6 at 14:46:51

I sort of took for granted that they will return (especially since I missed them in 2005), but I don't see their mention anywhere on the schedule.
Are they in works, or not happening this year?

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Re: Rallycrosses in 2006?
Reply #1 - 02/24/6 at 16:13:28

Reminder to potential rallyX organisers. MCO will very likely run the Golden Pine Rally (another long, overnight, gravel drivex) on Oct 28 out of Renfrew.  This is two weeks after Lanark Highlands on Oct 14.  Imagine it, while you're driving in GPR, they'll be on the road in the Austrailian WRC.

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #2 - 02/24/6 at 18:20:18

Good to know!  Cheesy

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/24/6 at 19:10:30

MLRC has permission to use the Bancroft site again for RallyCross and would like to offer three events again this year,  but we need volunteers to run the events for MLRC or need another club to take on organizing one or two events.

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #4 - 02/24/6 at 19:13:41

what are the possibilities of competitors also volunteering (like marshalls on auto-crosses)? If so, I'd gladly do what I can to make it happen -- as I'm sure would most of those who have witnessed the event previously Smiley

(edit: am I the only one who finds it hilarious that forums call me a Senior Member and Ross the Junior one?  Cheesy Grin )

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 02/24/6 at 21:46:05

Not a problem at all for a competitor to be a marshal or even the Organizer of the day - quite common as a matter of fact.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #6 - 02/24/6 at 22:33:19

Anyone interested in organizing, you've got a course designer and setup/teardown person willing to do the job!  Wink

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
ktibi79

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/25/6 at 19:24:23

I can go too, if you are short on man. I have never tasted this part of the rallys.Maybe I can bring another two guys if need it.

IP Logged
suprf1y
YaBB Newbies

That Suzuki guy

Reply #8 - 02/26/6 at 00:52:06

I'll help if I can.

I/PS land speed record holder
3TECH PERFORMANCE
  IP Logged
Staff77
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 02/26/6 at 16:24:00

hey guy's I am a member of twin lakes motorsport club and I will talk to them about helping with an event

IP Logged
uglydogrally

Ugly Dog Rallysport

Ottawa
Reply #10 - 03/18/6 at 17:19:33

rosswood wrote on 02/24/6 at 19:10:30:
MLRC has permission to use the Bancroft site again for RallyCross and would like to offer three events again this year,  but we need volunteers to run the events for MLRC or need another club to take on organizing one or two events.

What would entail in organising an event? Have been considering it, would like a bit more information.

Matt

Matt W. - MCO
mattw482   IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #11 - 03/25/6 at 01:05:50

Ditto; somebody mentioned at the MLRC meeting that the job of organizing RallyCrosses is quite different from organizing other events... I think the example used was being in charge of bathroom doors being unlocked - which, I will agree, is a crucial responsibility Wink.

Can somebody familiar with the role, or a previous organizer, set a semi-detailed list of bullet-points? I was thinking of maaaaybe shadowing an organizer for the first rallycross or two and then perhaps trying to help or organize the latter ones (not sure how early organizers need to commit).

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
AlanO
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - 03/25/6 at 08:15:51

Here's a basic list of what needs to be done.  It's a lot, and I'm not trying to scare anyone, but this is the big stuff that has to happen.

There are also people willing to help out.

James Drake has stepped up to be series coordinator (right James? Wink ) and I'll be helping out.  We appreciate the offers to help out with the organization - we'll be contacting you in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your support.

- Safety plan.  I have one that will give you a jump start, and I can provide a list of changes that CARS has recommended to me.

- Insurance.  Ask the CARS office for a copy of the insurance application package. The completed package must be sent back to them at least 30 days before the first event.  

- Rules & regulations.  Have a look at the rules and see if there are any glaring errors/omissions.  Rules should be
published on the website well in advance of the first event.

- Permissions from landowners. Get permission letters in writing.

- Grading.  Chris Ray at the Bancroft works department is a really good guy and very helpful.  He needs to be informed at least a week (2 is better) ahead of time so that he can arrange for a driver.  You would need to figure out road repairs if you held the events outside of Bancroft.

- Website and online credit card processing have to be set up.

- Course design.  Ryan H. has expressed an interest in handling it again.

- Workers.  Put out calls for help for workers at least a week before each event.  Having a worker plan with assignments will make the events run much more smoothly, since a lot of your workers will also be competing.  HAM radio operators are especially useful.

- Accomodations need to be arranged.

- Emergency response.  Gotta call the local EMS units and let them know what we're up to.  

- Organizing committee.  You need a registrar (unless you want to handle it yourself).  An assistant organizer and a clerk of the course are good to have, too.

- Sponsorship is always good to have.

- Scoring.  James D. prepared a great Excel spreadsheet, but you'd need a laptop.

- Lunch.  Something should definitely be arranged.  On-site food services is ideal since your competitors won't have to leave.

- Equipment.  The RSO trailer has almost everything you need, but you need to make arrangements to have it towed to your venue.  The only things that the RSO trailer doesn't have that we always needed were extension cords and radios (HAM and FRS), so you should arrange for those somehow.

- Trophies have to be ordered.

- Promotion.  Websites, mailing lists, and message forums are all great.  Even better to give local newspapers/media a call and invite them to come out.  The Bancroft newspaper always sends a reporter/photographer and always asks us to send them results.

WWW   IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #13 - 03/31/6 at 13:53:50

Are you still looking for someone to do this?  I have a group of people willing to do all the organizing and administrative stuff, but none of us have any experience actually running the event itself.

The only area we're not sure on is the HAM operators.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #14 - 03/31/6 at 14:25:24

You're bound to have at least a couple HAM guys at every event. I know I'll be at all of them, as will Bryn probably. Between us we've got gear for 4 operators including ourselves, so I'm sure we can make that work. Alex K is often there too. I wouldn't worry about having people with radios.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print