Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New here and with questions. (Read 10996 times)
Toofastforlove.
YaBB Newbies

Katia will be my
hood ornament in
Daisy Dukes.

New here and with questions.
03/05/6 at 13:05:26

Hi all, I'll start with just a little about my self.

I've been interested in rally racing ever since I was a wee lad seeing it on TV once in a blue moon. Of course growing up in Southern Ontario well all know there isn't a whole lot of coverage available. It think It was 2002 when Speedvision began coverage of the WRC season and I'd watch every time. I've also been a long fan of Rally PC simulations, and I don't mean those cheesy arcadish games like Rally Championship, and to a lesser extent the Colin McRae series.

In November I went to my first rally ever with my brother and best friend, the Rally of the Tall Pines. I'm live just outside of Waterloo and a freak snow squall slowed our progress and it took a good 5 1/2 hours to get to Bancroft. I enjoyed the show but was dead tired. My brother drove back that night to the 401, but I couldn't really get any sleep in the back seat of my Pontiac Sunfire. Nervous about his driving and he wondered onto the slushy sides of the road sometimes waking me up. Also I swear every time I was just dozing off he would hit a huge crack in the road or something waking me up.

In the end I was awake for 37 hours straight and I'll never do that as a day trip again, I'll make sure theres somewhere to sleep. Good times though.

So to make a short story long....

Anyway, wanting to get my toe in the door I've been reading about the mini-navigational rallies off Highway 400. The web site says anyone with a car can compete. I've been doing some research on Navigational rally and it looks pretty complicated. What's the best way for a fella to go about learning the ropes of this? Perhaps somewhere online I could learn a firm basis of this? Or would say rally school be necesary. I don't personally know anyone who does rally in any form. As for the navigational rally I understand that just finishing on course is quite a feat in itself and I certainly don't expect to do very well. My brother would very much like to be a navigator.

Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Re: New here and with questions.
Reply #1 - 03/05/6 at 14:58:41

Rally school is not strictly necessary, but it'd certainly help your first rally not end up like mine (176 minutes lateness penalty... wheee! Smiley ). Luckily, there is one being organized in March, running on three evenings, for I believe $50 per person total. First and last evening are classroom, middle evening is a short navigational rally practice Smiley

There are numerous online resources as well. There is a good set of instructions on Toronto Autosport Club Website; and a set of links on Rallysport Ontario webpage.
You should check out instructions from some of the previous rallies (for example, Discover Ontario has a few). There is also often a quick info session for beginners before some of the rallies. Finally, come early and talk to some of the friendly folks before the rally, they'll be glad to share some tips & tricks with you Smiley.

No matter.
You will get lost your first rally! Grin

Well, at least if you start with one of the provincial ones. MLRC Mini-rallies, you stand a fighting chance Smiley.

(After a couple of rallies, I strongly recommend Brooke's free Rally Calculator for palm pilot. It'll confuse you on the first rally or two, but afterwards it'll ease some of the more routine tasks).

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Toofastforlove.
YaBB Newbies

Katia will be my
hood ornament in
Daisy Dukes.

Reply #2 - 03/05/6 at 18:04:40

Thanks for the links Nikola. I suppose its time for myself and my bro to get studying. I'm sure I'll be checking back with more questions  Grin.

I also may consider that rally school but thats probably more than an hour's drive from where I am.

I also noticed in a couple of the videos on this forum from the rally of the tall pines I can see my brother, my one buddy and myself for a second, lol.

IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Reply #3 - 03/05/6 at 19:17:24

Quote:
I also may consider that rally school but thats probably more than an hour's drive from where I am.

To become involved in rallying, it's a requirement that you become used to long trips.  Believe me, a 1 hour drive is nothing, that's practically in your backyard.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
Toofastforlove.
YaBB Newbies

Katia will be my
hood ornament in
Daisy Dukes.

Reply #4 - 03/05/6 at 22:26:38

I am aware. Wink  Afterall I did stay awake for 37 hours straight  for the Tall Pines event. I guess it really isn't that bad, just that its repeted trips. And I got a new job with a continental shift in which the term "weekend" is now meaningless to me. I will have to see about it with my work schedual.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #5 - 03/10/6 at 12:15:45

Have you found the Kitchener Waterloo Rally Club yet?

http://www.kwrc.on.ca/

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Toofastforlove.
YaBB Newbies

Katia will be my
hood ornament in
Daisy Dukes.

Reply #6 - 03/11/6 at 12:13:44

I looked into that a bit. Thier website seems alittle uninformative. I can't find information about rally school at all on thier site, wether its nessesary or not to first be a member, and next to nothing about any upcoming events this year. I'm not sure its what I'm looking for or how helpful it would be.  ???

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #7 - 03/12/6 at 19:45:46

The first thing to do is show up at a monthly meeting of the club that's nearest to your home. They will fill you in on the details of what to do next, and you'll get a "fix" of rallying to get you started.

I think the MLRC rally school (especially the Minis) are a good way to start. But perhaps the Kitchener-Waterloo club members will have some other suggestions.

Best to get some contacts going, anyways. A club meeting is an excellent start.

Jeannie (PMSC)

IP Logged
Toofastforlove.
YaBB Newbies

Katia will be my
hood ornament in
Daisy Dukes.

Reply #8 - 03/12/6 at 20:37:36

Well dang, seems the last meeting was on Thursday night. Its ok though, I went to see Motley Crue in Hamilton that night and have no regrets despite a rough day at work the next day and some hearing loss. Next month however I'll definatly look into it.

IP Logged
Future_Navigator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 03/13/6 at 15:19:44

Quote:
My brother drove back that night to the 401, but I couldn't really get any sleep in the back seat of my Pontiac Sunfire. Nervous about his driving and he wondered onto the slushy sides of the road sometimes waking me up. Also I swear every time I was just dozing off he would hit a huge crack in the road or something waking me up.

Awww common, we were all tired.  My driving wasn’t that bad. 8)

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #10 - 03/13/6 at 16:14:55

Club meeting are a good way to meet people, but I didn't find them a pre-requisite for getting started with rallying. There's a Provincial Rally this weekend which is touted as reasonably beginner's friendly (you'll still get lost though;)) called Greenspond Go-Round. It was the first rally for my current navigator, and we did OK, all things considered. And if you come early (there's usually people there hours before), you can pick our brains for a while Smiley

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Toofastforlove.
YaBB Newbies

Katia will be my
hood ornament in
Daisy Dukes.

Reply #11 - 03/13/6 at 16:46:10

Future Navigator says:

Quote:
Sounds like fun but I doubt I'll be ready for that.  I have much to learn.  

I'm trying to do this "rally knowledge" test.  Most of it I dont understand.Embarrassed  

Try it yourself...
http://www.tsdroadrally.com/rallytest.cfm

IP Logged
DaveP

Reply #12 - 03/14/6 at 00:07:39

Toofastforlove. wrote on 03/13/6 at 16:46:10:
Future Navigator says:

The Greenspond rally would be an ideal event for both of you to try. There will be lots of old hands hanging around early, that will be more than pleased to advise novices. I marshalled that event last year, (or the year previous, I forget,) but what I do remember, is that is signified the start of the rally season, and every old f*rt in the sport was there to marshal or compete. (unfortunately, I can't marshall this year.)

Seriously though, they have three levels of instructions for ORRC events, ranging from novice, to intermediate to expert. Come out, try the Novice, You'll have a blast. Trust me. (I know what sort of rally Ray Felice puts on.)

Dave

IP Logged
C. Hamm

Will rally for free.

Reply #13 - 03/14/6 at 09:52:05

Two things for you to do:
1. Enter road rallies often
2. Volunteer at road rallies when you want to, or can't find a rally partner.  It's fun, too.

You learn a lot about rallying from doing both of these things.  And we need volunteers to run the sport, or there is no sport.

Also, volunteer at performance rallies. Great way to start learning about the faster side of the sport while getting a front row seat.

Have fun, and ask LOTS of questions and read lots of stuff on the internet.

Craig
(past MCO Rally Director)

VA3KRT
  IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #14 - 03/14/6 at 09:56:45

umm... I don't know about that test. It's got some things that are different then around here.  ???

WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print