Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Maple Leaf Rally Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New here and with questions. (Read 11004 times)
Future_Navigator
YaBB Newbies

Re: New here and with questions.
Reply #15 - 03/17/6 at 07:59:08

I talked it over with my brother and it looks like we'll give Greenspond Go-Round a shot. Smiley  Me being the navigator I have a few questions.

1) From what I know we’ll be given a book with the navigational directions and other info about the rally.  Would this book include instructions on how to read the notes?  Me being a newbie and all I just don’t want to forget how to do something midway through the rally.

2) Is there any rule that says I cant print pages off the internet and have them with me during the rally?

Here’s what I was planning to print off…

The “Basic instructions” and  “Navigation Skills” information.
http://www.torontoautosportclub.ca/articles/RallyMaster/index.html

3) would the style of navigational notes ever change midway through the rally (novice)?  Say from tulips to straight line maps?

~Brandon~

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #16 - 03/17/6 at 10:29:01

- You can bring any papers you want.
- Each section will have different instructions, i.e. distance-to-turn, tulips, columns, and maybe even straight-line.
- Last year for Greenspond, they put timing instructions on the last page, instead of in-line. That was our first time seeing it done like that in Novice category, but apparently it is not uncommon. Be aware of that, and check all pages quickly at the start of the rally Smiley. If it happens again, we found it easier to quickly copy the timings onto the direction papers.
- From rally to rally it differs how much info there is in the navigational directions, but don't expect a full out guide in them. Better bring your own. Also, things WILL get hectic out there;). I suggest creating a quick-reminder guide if you need one, that will make sense to you but fit on a single page (double-sided if needed). You'll have enough papers without shuffling through 30-40 pages of beginner's guide:).

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Future_Navigator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 03/17/6 at 18:21:31

Thanks. Wink

I'll try to keep my notes to one page.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #18 - 03/17/6 at 19:11:57

One other thing, I'm sure there will be people there at the start willing to help explain different instruction types. Arrive early and ask around, someone will surely help out.  Wink

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Future_Navigator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - 03/17/6 at 21:01:32

Quote:
One other thing, I'm sure there will be people there at the start willing to help explain different instruction types. Arrive early and ask around, someone will surely help out. Wink

Will do.  Thanks for the advice  8)

IP Logged
Nikola

Geeksters Rallying

Reply #20 - 03/17/6 at 23:33:41

Oh, and: straight-line diagrams are one of those "intuitive" things that needs to 'click' with you. Lots of people are really confused until they "get them" (at which point they drop all their complicated calculations and say "ooooooooooh...!!!" Smiley ).
If you don't understand what the fuss is about, don't worry about it Smiley. But if they seem like devil's work, ask somebody to run you through a few examples of "Leave x roads on your left/right" on paper, and it'll go much smoother Smiley

If you understand what you are doing, you aren't learning anything!
WWW 18975513   IP Logged
Future_Navigator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #21 - 03/19/6 at 08:03:32

Quote:
Oh, and: straight-line diagrams are one of those "intuitive" things that needs to 'click' with you. Lots of people are really confused until they "get them" (at which point they drop all their complicated calculations and say "ooooooooooh...!!!"  Smiley ).  
If you don't understand what the fuss is about, don't worry about it:). But if they seem like devil's work, ask somebody to run you through a few examples of "Leave x roads on your left/right" on paper, and it'll go much smoother  Smiley

Straight line maps dont seem to be overly difficult.  They weren’t used in the rally "oh darn"Undecided.  

In the end we came 10th of 18 novice cars. Smiley

IP Logged
brynepp

Who said trucks
can't Rally?

Reply #22 - 03/21/6 at 16:19:15

Contratulations.

10th out of 18 not bad!  No for the real question did you have fun?

Hope to see you at the Mini Rally in April.

Bryn

IP Logged
Future_Navigator
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - 03/22/6 at 07:15:48

Quote:
Contratulations.

10th out of 18 not bad!  Now for the real question did you have fun?

Hope to see you at the Mini Rally in April.

Bryn

Thanks,

Yeah we had a good time accept for stage 3.  I forgot that the last note form the previous section was the first note for the next section.  That might explain why the turns were not even close to the correct distances apart.  That little mishap got us 20 points. Undecided

Overall is was a blast.  We ended on a high note as the last stage went really well.  We’ll definitely be going to the rally in April.  8)

« Last Edit: 03/22/6 at 15:24:16 by Future_Navigator »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print