Rookie questions (Read 4077 times)
miskis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie Co-driver
looking for
expereience

Rookie questions
03/16/6 at 20:46:32

OK guys, its been a while since I posted but I have done some research and after my first year of Ice racing learned a hole bunch of car control.  I have an idea for my car for next year, but have a few questions about setup.  I dont have the car yet but its sitting where I want it right now, it has a carburated 1.6L and RWD.  I am first off curious as to which class I will be in, I am also curious as to which mods I am allowed to before I am bumped up into the next class?  I don't want to tell you what type of car this is because I want it to be a surprise, see everyones reactions.

Co-driver looking for a ride for next year
Anyone interested?
  IP Logged
Wedge1

Ontario
Re: Rookie questions
Reply #1 - 03/16/6 at 21:30:23

If the car is stock, then you will be in Production 2.  Welcome to my parlour!
It's a good idea to stay in production class for awhile.  It keeps the costs down, and is the best way to learn.
You can download the preparation rules here: http://www.carsrally.ca/CARSRally/Default.aspx?tabid=92
You can see for yourself what can and can't be modified.  You can upgrade the suspension, add underbody protection, and reinforce suspension mounting points.  You can't touch the engine or drivetrain at all.

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you face him, he will beat you.
  IP Logged
miskis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie Co-driver
looking for
expereience

Reply #2 - 03/16/6 at 22:00:55

god darn, there goes everything I just had setup.  I was going to use my chevette that I was getting ready for Ice racing, I have a sponsour that will put a cage in for free so I got the idea I could use this for rally racing.  With ice racing I need to remove the lighting system, so this would not go with CARS rules.  Also with chevettes the cat restricts it so much so I was going to remove it, but after reading the rules I am not allowed to do that.  So with out being alowed to do some mods the chevette is pretty much usless without them, the suspsension is tough but I had Ideas that are actually allowed.  I would really love for this to work, so if anyone out there has any ideas please let me know

Anyone interested?
  IP Logged
Anthony_T

Reply #3 - 03/17/6 at 13:05:03

I am not an expert though I do recall reading about Vauxhall Chevettes being used in rallies in Retro Cars, a british publication.

That said, I googled Vauxhall Chevette Rally and found these links in short order.  I make no claims as to their usefulness however.  

http://chevetterallycar.bravehost.com/
http://www.chevettes.com/info.php

Anthony

WWW   IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #4 - 03/18/6 at 17:51:22

You are allowed to change most of the exhaust. Only the manifold itself needs to remain stock. So after that you can run whatever diameter exhaust you want. As for the cat, you just need to have one. You're allowed to use a high-flow unit.

I'm not sure what you mean by lightening. The idea is for the prepped car to weigh the same as the day it rolled off the assembly line. The dash must remain in the car, but just about everything else is fair game for removal. The weight of the cage, spare tire and any tools you keep in the car make up for it.

A good first few things to do to the car are the exhaust, an aftermarket airfilter, new brake pads/shoes and all your underbody protection. Oh ya, and all new belts, and any suspect hoses.

Can I expect to see you at Blackbear, or this a longer term project?

IP Logged
miskis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie Co-driver
looking for
expereience

Reply #5 - 03/19/6 at 10:14:25

maybe volunteering and thats about it, right now its a long term project(all summer).  It will be used as an Ice racer, and then I will see if I can drop everything back into it so we can give her a go for Rallying.  I have figured out the cat problem now, and I was planning on adding underbody protection for ice racing anways.  I was talking about the lights on the car, because with Ice racing you need to remove all the lighting systems.  So I will need to fidure out a way to set this up so after the season is over I can drop all the lights back in it, I will be able to be done I just need to figure out how.  I will be volunteering this year at the performance rallies, and driving in the navigation rallies to get some practice.  My goal as of right now is to be at the Tall pines for next year, not this year.

Anyone interested?
  IP Logged
Phil Jeffries
YaBB Moderator

'90 Talon TSi

Ontario
Reply #6 - 03/19/6 at 23:27:11

I'm a doofus. Maybe i should read a little more carefully next time  Roll Eyes

One other thing you'll want to change on the car is pretty much ever bushing you can get your hands on. My Talon is 15 years old. When I started most were in decent shape. Now the car has run 4 rallys and they're starting to fall apart.

Tall Pines will be a challenging first rally. Lots of transits and such, but those roads are a blast to drive.

Galway is probably the easiest on cars. No monster jumps or anything and the roads are really smooth. Just don't be an idiot like me and fly through the finish, miss a corner and slam into a giant slab or granite and fubar a spindle!

IP Logged
Jeannie VE3JNE

Lanark Highlands
Reply #7 - 03/20/6 at 11:49:30

The Galway-Cavendish Forest Rally is a good place to start. One road in and out . . . makes it much easier for both you and your co-driver. If you volunteer to work GCFR this year, that will help a lot, too. Fun times!

Jeannie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print