Send Topic Print
Yet another "newbie" (Read 2798 times)
Rubi_Tuesday_Karen
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Yet another "newbie"
04/03/6 at 06:50:35

What a great site!  I've always wanted to get involved in rally (navigational) and have taken the proverbial plunge.  Two women from my club are going to Morocco next month for a rally and I hope to be going next year.

Are there any restrictions on the type of vehicle you drive?  I drive a built Jeep and the description says light truck, so I'm a bit confused.

Many thanks hopefully I'll be able to join your club and participate in a few runs.

IP Logged
ktibi79

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Yet another "newbie"
Reply #1 - 04/03/6 at 07:43:25

..speed is restricted  Wink

IP Logged
dtompsett

Ontario
Reply #2 - 04/03/6 at 17:03:47

You can run anything you want, as long as you feel comfortable driving it.

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #3 - 04/04/6 at 08:07:46

I read the article in last weekend Toronto Star about the two women going to Africa. That sounds like a major undertaking.

Rallying and off-road racing are really two different things. Rallying's unofficial motto is "real cars on real roads". Most rallies are held on normal public roads. Events suitable for beginners are held of fairly tame roads and emphasis is put on the navigational and timing aspects of the sport. More advanced rallies and professional rallies will often use rougher roads and test the ability of the driver and car more.

The events that are held in Africa and some other places combine the navigational aspects of rallying and the off-road aspects of off-road racing. You're wise to learn the navigational and timing aspects of rallying before heading to any major event in Africa.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Rubi_Tuesday_Karen
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 04/05/6 at 05:25:14

Thanks everyone.  I'm trying to learn the navigational aspect of the rally, no I'm not into speed, although it will go 120 I don't like driving that fast  Grin.  My truck will handle all roads and I'm not to concerned about the offroad part.

The Star article you are referring to are two women from my Jeep club.  I plan on attending next year's rally in Morroco.

I've looked in the schedule but unfortunatelyit's going to be difficult for me to attend "night" events.  Are there any planned for weekends?

Thanks again, Karen

IP Logged
nhibbert

Reply #5 - 04/05/6 at 07:45:07

This is the web site for Rallysport Ontario's list of events : http://www.rallysport.on.ca/schedule06.html

All the ORRC events (in blue) are navigational rallys. These ones are part of the 'Championship' series. Some rally clubs put on other non-championship rallys as well. You'll have to check the local clubs for details.

Note the "Spring Run-off" is this weekend.

You can also sign up as a volunteer at any OPRC event. This will give you a good glimpse at the behind the scenes part of this type of event, something that might come in handy for you down the road.

Norman
VE3HWL
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print