Send Topic Print
GREAT STUFF AT BAIE (Read 3662 times)
rosswood
God Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

GREAT STUFF AT BAIE
07/02/6 at 13:54:01

Congratrulations to the local teams who did so well at the Baie over the weekend!

Frank Sprongl with Brian Maxwell at his side did amazing things in the Suzuki again - finished 4th Overall and 1st P2, of course,  against much stronger machinery.  And they were only 12 seconds away from 3rd Overall, at that! In the OPRC they placed 2nd Overall.

7th Overall was claimed by John Vanos with Ryan Huber co-driving in their Open Class Subaru.  This top ten finish moves John up to Seed 4.  They had one slight off-road excursion,  but recovered from it.  They placed 3rd in the OPRC.

Ian Crerar with Fred Weidner co-driving finished 15th O/A in their Porsche 911. In the OPRC they were 8th O/A and 1st Group 5.

Jaak Laan and Jane Lennox placed 9th O/A in OPRC and 2nd P2 in their Honda Civic.

Conditions were very tricky Friday night with lots of rain that turned the predominantly clay surface very slick.

So with no major damage to cars I presume we will see everyone at the Galway Cavendish Forest Rally in August.
Peter Reilly and Ray Felice were doing well but retired with a dead engine computer.

IP Logged
Jaak
YaBB Newbies

Re: GREAT STUFF AT BAIE
Reply #1 - 07/02/6 at 23:08:10

Thanks for the mention Ross.  Just back.  It was a great adventure for us.  Big thanks to Jaroslav Bartman, Steve Carrick and Merrill Smith our crew...they found stuff before and during the event that would have prevented us from finishing if not for their keen eyes.  Jaroslav is reading over my shoulder and says, "rubbish!"...but he's like that, eh?  Mud was everywhere including our dashboard and we learned that old Honda's can swim on the last stage in the motocross track.  No flats, no problems.  Big crowds full of enthusiasm...even for us.

IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #2 - 07/03/6 at 15:15:57

What a weekend!

Start things off with a 15 hour drive from Cambridge starting at 5am on wednesday. Oh boy is that a long way to go non-stop with only two drivers and on four hours sleep. Filling my car with fuel four times in one day takes a little getting used to!

Thursday, we're up early and on the roads in my car doing recce. We finished that up at about 6 and the process of transcribing them neatly began for me. It's awful hard to write legibly in a car with hotbits and gravel tires while bouncing over a rough stage, so I actually re-write all my notes.

Friday morning and early afternoon was spent on final prep of the car and registration before we went into scrutineering, followed by parc ferme. Iain was a little later arriving than we'd hoped, which caused a small amount of panic because he was bringing our lights. At this point the skies opened too, which we were sure would turn the clay and shale based roads into an extremely slippery slurry. Our goal all along was to keep it on the road, get a finish, hopefully in the top 10 so John would move up to seed 4.

The first couple stages of were uneventful, slippery, but John took it easy and we were 12th after the first three stages. Our highlight had to be looking down at the speedo, in fifth gear, and the car was still pulling hard past 185km/h. Just incredible!

After service, we went out into the night and in the first stage saw us lose our centre driving lights part way through the stage. Despite the reduced visibility, our time improved. At the start of the next stage I attempted to check what was wrong, but with little time and not knowing where the fuses were exactly, I adjusted the outer lights inward to improve what we had. Again our time improved, though we were both a little worried about the nose-heavy landing we took over the Camp Brule jump.

At service Iain replaced the fuse and we were back on our way. This time out, the 30A fuse Iain had put in blew before we even got to the stage, which meant we obviously had a wiring problem, but didn't have any way to diagnose it. I replaced the fuse and we started the stage. 2/3 of the way through we lost all the driving lights, leaving us with only the stock GC highbeams which are half covered by the lightpods. John really trusted my notes and we escaped the stage unscathed, and only lost one second on our previous run. Prior to the next stage, I replaced both fuses in hopes we'd make it back to service without losing the lights again. Part way in we again lost the centres, but we'd taken the precaution of aiming the outers in a bit again so we still made 10 seconds on our first run of the stage.

Back to service and it was obvious we had an electrical issue with the lights shorting out, but we were now done the night stages and that issue could be dealt with before the next rally. We were comfortably sitting in 5th overall, having tied for third-fastest on that last run of Camp Brule. Many of the top runners were pushing too hard and suffering damage or offs, and our strategy of letting the rally come to us was paying off.

Saturday morning began well with a 5th fastest time on the first stage. B2 was the start of our problems, however. Early in the stage the car got very loud as the exhaust fell off completely from behind the downpipe. Sorry to all those behind us who ran over it! Somewhere in the stage we also got a right rear flat, that we didn't actually notice until into the transit following the stage. The real issue was our encounter with an embankment, however. Exiting a tight left, as John got on the power hard the tail stepped out. John corrected, but then the car hooked up hard and before he could dial the steering back out we nosed into the embankment on the outside of the corner hard at the top of second gear. A huge cloud of steam and smoke billowed from the car and we knew right away we'd holed the radiator. We got turned around and decided to keep an eye on the gauges and do what we could to limp the car through the rest of the stage. The off and limping from the stage cost us roughly a minute on our closest rivals, but would only be the start of our difficulties.

Stopping after the stage to change the tire and check the damage, it was obvious we had a significant coolant leak, but everything else seemed alright (other than the mysterious flat). We had half a dozen bottles of water in the car for us to drink, which we used to fill the car up as best we could and continue on the transit. The 30 minute transit to the next stage would be one of the most challenging times of my life. We stopped 3 times at creeks and rivers along the way to fill those water bottles again and refill the car. We'd limp the car til it started to heat up too much, stop and fill it at the nearest creek, and continue on. We made it to the next stage start with a full compliment of water bottles, checking in very late, and knowing we'd likely have to stop again in the 11km stage to fill the car. We were going to make it back to service no matter what, though.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #3 - 07/03/6 at 15:16:32

Sure enough, about half way into the stage the car started to get too hot again, and John pulled over. He took the bottles and set to refilling the rad, while I ran up the road with the triangle. Shortly after the next car passed us (2 minute intervals) John yelled that he was ready to go and I ran back to the car, belted in and away we went. We managed to limp to the end of the stage, and a short way into the transit noticed John's parents ahead of us, leaving the spectator area. No doubt they figured we were out, having not gone over the jump when we were supposed to. We flagged them down, and John told them to tell Iain "to get a rad and a big hammer". We stopped shortly thereafter and poured the last two bottles of water we had into the car and limped it back to service, just checking in on time. We had 20 minutes to fix the damage to not incurr more time penalties.

As soon as we pulled in our great crew descended upon the car. Iain, Stu Lumsden, Peter and even Stewart Hoo were working franticly to get the damaged radiator out and replaced. In the meantime, John and I set to taking the rear wheels off and cleaning them out. John noticed at this point that the pins were falling out of the right-rear brakes and there was nothing holding the pads in! Andrew Comrie-Picard, there with ATV for the TV production, asked what we needed and ran off to find parts. The whole while the TV crew was circling the car filming as the repairs were undertaken. Once again, I owe our crew guys a huge thanks, as they managed to repair the damage sufficiently to get us back into the rally with two minutes to spare. We were on time leaving service!

Incredibly, the next stage we were right back on pace, tieing for third fastest time, bettering our previous running of the stage in the morning by 6 seconds! On the next stage we never did notice our exhaust, undoubtedly some Quebec spectator has a nice trophy on their wall! Without incident, we were taking it easy on the stage, not wanting a repeat of our problems previously. We were also worried about the banging strut top. Then the skies opened again, turning the last run of Camp Brule into a total mudbath. Rounding the hairpin at the spectator area, we go into a fast right hander up the hill. The car decided it really didn't want to turn, and the best way I can describe the sensation was like being in deep snow and having the car follow ruts. No matter what John did it just plowed off into the weeds, mowed down some little saplings, and bounced back onto the road. Oh, and did I mention that we broke the driver's side wiper blade in the same stage? Needless to say we took it very easy and just got the car to the finish of the leg. Exiting the stage we both noticed an odd knocking sound and a clunking on the floor under my feet. Not knowing what it was, we added a full front end check to our list for service.

With an hour lunch stop next, we had plenty of time to fix our issues. Foremost on that list was the strut top. As it turned out the problem was simply that the centre nut had worked loose, but as a precaution, while we were on the stages, our service crew had descended upon my street car and pillaged the top mount off of my hotbits! In that spirit, I took the wiper blade off my car and replaced the broken one on the rallycar. The other big issue was the clunking on the right-front, which turned out to be a half-shaft that was sheared clean off. It had an obvious amount of twist to it before it broke, so somewhere we put down sufficient torque to snap it. We still don't know how long we'd been running RWD only, thankfully the 20KG centre diff held up like a champ.

Into leg C we felt that, other than the missing exhaust that prevented us from using the antilag (flames coming out under our seats would likely not be a good idea) and the somewhat naked front end, we were in pretty good shape. In stage C1 we set 4th fastest time, only 6 seconds off the leader. Unfortunately there was an incident with another competitor in this stage and the second running, C4, was cancelled. C2 was a very rough, intimidating stage, and John took it pretty easy, though still setting 5th fastest time.

The third stage was a super special stage set up for spectators. At a dirt-track racing facility, it would have been a very cool place to run - if the conditions were dry. They most certainly were not, however. The clay soil, plowed down grass trails, and 8" deep puddle that had water coming up around the shifter made it incredibly slippery, and our 20KG centre diff made using the handbrake in the hairpins impossible. We nearly went off, stalled once, and took it very easy to a 7th fastest time.

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
RyanHuber
God Member

Ontario
Reply #4 - 07/03/6 at 15:16:47

For once, our service crew had little to worry about other than cleaning the mud and rocks from the wheels and out we went again. With C4 being cancelled, we went directly to C5 where a significant delay put most of us off the idea of rallying, but eventually we went into this brutally rough stage again, and took it very easy to preserve the car. By this point John and I agreed on a no-risk strategy. Unfortunately, the organizers decided to run the "Mickey Mouse" stage again, this time with the puddle being even deeper. We made it through, but were not trying at all.

The end result, however, was 7th overall, third in the OPRC, and first OPRC open-class! And John got his seed 4, which was our original goal all along. I've gotta say a huge thank you to Planet Motorsports for building us a great car, our service guys for keeping us in the rally, and John for giving me the opportunity to ride with him when Alan couldn't make it. Thanks guys, I had an awesome time!

Ryan Huber
VA3AWD
  IP Logged
Ken Nazeer

Ontario,  Canada
Reply #5 - 07/10/6 at 14:57:27

Congratulations to all local teams. Excellent writeup, Ryan, you and John have done us proud!
Ken.

Ken
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print